Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #15

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Gene: Generally any bill that can be paid by mail can be paid online through your bank's billpay service. All 3 of my banks (a major megabank, a credit union and an online-only bank) have similar capabilities with the bill pay service. The first time I pay a bill I have to enter data about the payee (name, address, account number, phone number) and with most payees, after a cycle or two it converts to an electronic transfer in the background. I can tell the difference when I look at the transactions, but that's a distinction just for nerds like me, the main thing is you login to bank X, tell the system to pay bill Y by a certain date and it gets done.

— David

Il Carriaggio — 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have found our local water, electric,gas and phone companies will happily accept a check for an amount greater than what is owed. The ones we can't check online we just send an amount that should cover the time we are gone.

Priority mail sent to Chicken, and then forwarded to Moose Pass took 17 days.
Kind of slows things up when it flies in on tues and then gets sorted so it doesn't go out until the next plane several days later

Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Priority mail sent to Chicken, and then forwarded to Moose Pass took 17 days.
You can drive from one to other in 2 days assuming you mean Moose Pass on the Kenai Penn. In the winter, using a snowmobile from Chicken to the Alaska Hwy. would slow it a bit.

I don't even know if our little bank has an electronic bill paying system. I guess they do. I'll suggest it to Barb. Thanks for the idea.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We don't full time ... but we are frequently away on trips when our bills physically come in. Presently we still get hard copies of bills, but we could switch to eBills at any point easily by going on line to the biller's website, access our account and switch to eBill service. (Many actually prefer that because it means no postage cost for them.) Even while still getting hard copies of bills we can go on line and see what we owe ... in fact we often pay the bill before we get the hard copy. We prefer to pay all our bills via credit card when possible, and those who don't allow credit card payments (or who tack on a service charge for doing so), we use the free BillPay services from our bank. Can't even remember the last time we sent a bill payment by snail mail. (Interestingly, the only bills we can't pay on line are my annual business license fees and our property taxes. What's up with that??)

When we are gone, we have a neighbor/friend who brings in our mail, keeps an eye on our house, and takes care of anything around our place that needs attention. (That takes a huge load off our shoulders.)
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Thank you all for good advise. It looks like we will just be doing the on-line bill paying like we mostly do at home. It just means we have to be sure to find wi-fi hot spots more frequently than we usually have been able to do in National Forest camp grounds when we were gone on shorter trips.
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #20
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All of our regularly recurring bills are e-billed, then automatically debited on their due date from our checking account. This has been an efficient and worry-free process and seems to be the best way to handle these.

We had a box at UPS for forwarded mail our first year of retirement. We could call them and have them send the contents to the campground of our choice, which was a nightmare. Priority mail could take many days, a week or more, to rural areas.

My son now receives forwarded, first-class mail, and reviews/scans/sends on to us anything that is needed. We can then mail a check or use bill-pay through our bank. Everything else is held until we return. No problems.

We did once meet a couple on a ferry somewhere, he was a retired physician who was terrified of using the internet for e-bills, automatic debit, etc. When they traveled for months at a time, he flew home once a month or so to check the mail and handle things that had come in.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote