Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
How do you fish? - Boat Canoe Kayak...

Now that we have our AS dream, we won't be able to take our nice Ranger bass boat along on fishing trips. We do enjoy fishing and I was wondering if anyone else has found a way to incorporate some sort of boat, canoe, kayak etc. to be able to get out on the lake when traveling.

I thought I could get a couple of kayaks, mount an aluminum bar fore and aft, then put them on the roof rack of the TV. We've also considered belly boats, inflatable boats (with trolling motor) and a small canoe (also on the roof rack).

Any fishermen out there?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
My wife uses a pontoon boat when we travel since she can't bring her drift boat.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Some people here take 2 vehicles- one pulling the travel trailer, the other pulling the boat/golf cart/etc.
We sometimes take 2 vehicles due to differing work schedules or need for service- we are going Friday and taking both vehicles- the Toyota to tow the trailer, and the Nissan because it is due for an oil change and Saturday is our only opportunity to get it done.
This is only practical at campgrounds close to the house.
I see people with kayaks/canoes on racks on the tow vehicle or small plastic or inflatable boats in the bed of a pickup.
I do my fishing from a fishing pier or from the bank.
Sometimes I catch fish.
Sometimes I don't.
I guess that's why it's called "fishing" and not "catching"...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
We have a rack with the foot pieces attached to a railing on the canopy of our tow vehicle and when we take our 18 ft cedar strip canoe we mount a separate rack on the cab of the truck to accommodate the extra length. We always take it along as the dogs all enjoy going for a canoe ride when we are not fishing.
George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Inflatable is the way to go.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Going Where , The Climate Suits Our Clothes
You have a Ranger, so clearly you're a serious fisherman. Kayaks are the way to go ... you may even end up selling the Ranger. Here is a link to get you started, as well as some video. Also, the bonus is that you can do both fresh and open saltwater with the same boat. That kayak can launch right from the beach into the surf with a bit of practice.

A roof rack is the way to go for transporting. Odds are you will buy plastic sit-on-tops. They can be heavy ... mine runs 80 lbs. If your travel companion and you are strong enough, then you can load/unload while still hitched by taking them off the side of the vehicle. Otherwise, it is a roll off the roof rack from the rear of the vehicle after unhitching.

One final issue that arises with interstate travels is registration. In some states, kayaks don't require registration, in others there are length limits applying to registration. It's a real hassle as if you are from a state without registration you will get nabbed if you launch in a state requiring registration. I haven't been nabbed, but have contacted DNR in MN and IL and both warned me.
Beerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Porta Bote will answer all your needs. The attached are pictures of the maiden voyage of ours.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	porta bote (1).jpg
Views:	631
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	208326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porta-Bote (1).jpg
Views:	340
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	208327  

Name:	potrta bote (1).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	208328  
Old 03-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We have a Sevylor Fish Hunter that I put a wood floor in. Inflates quickly, folds up small enough to fit in the back. It's actually quite comfortable for two (I think it's supposed to be a three man boat). You can put a motor on it, but I like to paddle. If we don't have seats in the back of the van, it actually fits in the van inflated.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
I am keeping an eye on this thread as I too want to find a solution to camp AND boat. Recently went to a boat show and looked at the inflatable boats, which seem like a good solution.

Thing is, I have a 70 lb. lab that will need to join.

Stephanie, I am wondering if you think your Sevylor Fish Hunter is dog friendly.

If I only had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a puppy.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Well, we have stayed in our Airstream and fished for a month every year since buying the trailer and have never used a boat. We fly fish and good waders make a much smaller package than any boat!

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaBluPlus2 View Post

Thing is, I have a 70 lb. lab that will need to join.

Stephanie, I am wondering if you think your Sevylor Fish Hunter is dog friendly.
The vinyl on it is quite thick, and in several years of use, we've only gotten one pinhole in it which sealed up easily. It has several air compartments, so if one sprung a leak, the others would remain inflated. But since my dogs are 30lb range, I can't really say. I think it would be fine, as it's wide and very stable on the water. The plywood floor (it's just a piece of 1/2 inch cut to the shape of the floor and I stick it in before inflating) adds more stability and would protect the floor from dog toenails.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Here's the one I have:

Fish Hunter 6 Person Boat | Inflatable Boats | Sevylor Inflatable Boats

"Six Person Boat"?! Ha ha! I'd like to see that! But it's fine for two and room for a tackle box. Built in rod holders. There are lots of videos on YouTube with people showing off their modifications, floors, seats, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	raft.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	208331  

Old 03-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have had the inflatable (Zodiac) which I liked for the portability, but after 3 holes due to inconsiderates (foreign objects in the water) I opted for a Portaboat. I carry it n the top of the truck and the seats in the truck bed. I have both a Electric and gas motors for it. Depends where I am going as to which I take. I have had it on the Mighty Mississippi with NO problem.
See the site on the boat.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

No one has mentioned a float tube which I use for fly fishing in lakes. You sit in the tube and paddle with fins. Deflated it takes up no space at all. The fisherman's low profile and silent travel make it highly effective at stalking fish.
The only downside is slow travel and taking bathroom breaks.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Fly fishing is all about baptism by immersion!

Nothing beats good waders
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Happy to see so many fishermen in the forum and in their respective AS. I hadn't seen any posts about it but I knew there had to be some. There are a lot of good ideas and experiences.

I haven't done any fly fishing, not too many streams around KY, mostly highland reservoirs. I have thought about it but I'd have to invest in more equipment and then there's that learning curve.

Taking 2 vehicles might work for local trips but a pain on longer ones. Actually, for local trips, almost as easy to rent a cabin or pitch a tent and then pull the Ranger. I've even pulled the cover over the boat and slept on the water.

I haven't see the flote a boat for a while. My father in law had one, maybe he'd be interested in selling it.

I've thought a lot about the kayak. I was thinking I could put 2 on the roof rack and connect them at the camp. The wife isn't too keen on trying to use one by herself and I think together they'd be fairly stable.

In KY, if there is no mechanical propulsion, there is no need to register the boat (or pay tax and registration renewal fees). But if you go to other states you have to abide by their laws. It may be simpler to just register it in KY and then it won't be so much of a problem to take it elsewhere. Fishing licenses, however, are a whole, other problem. Sure wish there was a national/group license of some sort where each state got a piece of the action and you could fish in any of them. I'd be happy with catch and release on that.

BTW, 'belly boats' would be fine with me but I don't think that's a goer for the wife. Inflatable boats are a good possibility, a lot easier to launch. I have a small compressor I could bring.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
I use an Outcast PAC 900 pontoon boat. It breaks down into 2 bags, weighs in at 54 pounds, and I can have it set up in 20 minutes. It is 9' long and works great in class II or class III rapids or on lakes. I fly fish so it gets used mostly on rivers. It is quite sturdy and has a small deck on the back that I can rig up for my wife to come along...or just for a cocktail cruise in the evenings. Broken down it fits in a 2'x4' spot in the front of my pick-up bed. Inflated I can tie it down to my cargo rack system.

Easy, fun, and well worth taking along.

Colorado Mountains
International Sterling 27FB
2015 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax & Allison
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Are you on the regular website?
Look at the lady in the second photo at the top under "recent photo gallery uploads".
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If fishing was the only use I would go with a portabote, best space and load carrying capacity, but we don't always fish and I am in the process of making the kayak able to fish, pole holders and right equipment(small tacklebox, bucket, etc.) to use it.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Are you on the regular website?
Look at the lady in the second photo at the top under "recent photo gallery uploads".
I went to the 'Portal', is that where you mean? I didn't see any lady in a photo. In my view the second photo is of a recliner conversion. Can you give me some more detail; poster's name for example?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8