Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Interesting outriggers. Did you make them yourself? We fish from an 18 ft cedar canoe I made 30 years ago. It has a 38" beam and only weighs 76lbs. The addition of the 3rd dog has made it a bit less stable and I have been looking for a solution like you have.
George

Hi George, Yes the outriggers were designed and fabricated from aluminum by a friend of my son. They pivot up or down independently.
I have seen others at Bass Pro or Cabelas. Not quite the same but they may work for you.

-Dennis

Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Thanks Dennis.
George.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
Rich, and others
here are a few pics of the rear loader I made up. I used to install automotive parallelogram alignment lifts and thunk up this after a few adult beverages.
That's pretty clever, Doorgunner. You'll have to figure out where to put the loader so you can use it at the lake as well. I've been trying to come up with something more compact, maybe with rope and pulleys but all the YouTube videos show everyone just putting the bow up on the roof rack and pushing the stern, either from the floor or from the wheeled carrier. (You still have to get from the parking lot to the lake and back.)

I'm pretty sure we're going with the Jackson Big Tuna. It's 90 lbs. and my roof rack tops out at 120 lbs. I've seen a video on YouTube about someone loading one of those on a 4Runner newer than mine. He had to make sure he didn't hit either his satellite radio shark fin antenna or the rear spoiler. I don't have either of those so I just watched what he did and it's pretty much put the kayak bow on the rear and push it up to the carrier. He says he pulls a trailer too and there's plenty of room for turns. The 4Runner window rolls down so you still have access to the rear cargo area even after it's loaded.

Yakima makes a roof rack mount that has wheels for the rear set so you get that assist instead of pushing against the regular brace. I'll probably get a set of the wheeled ones for the rear and the regular saddles for the front.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
For traveling, inflatables are the way to go. I highly recommend the Sea Eagle brand for portability, functionality, and durability. I went with the 14' paddle ski and use a 2hp Honda outboard. A little over $2000 total investment. Oh, and I usually have my 100 pound Lab aboard with no problems.

You can definitely get carried away with some of the accessories but the swivel fishing seats would be a nice option. Have fun
Old 04-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00026-20100705-1635.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	210102

Boat weighs 102#
Motor weighs 65#
Gas can weighs ~50#

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #76

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This thread has really got me inspired to get out and go fishing. I think I'll have to go pull out the raft and find some water to play on soon!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
This thread has really got me inspired to get out and go fishing. I think I'll have to go pull out the raft and find some water to play on soon!
You say the sap is beginning to rise in your casting arm?

I like being on the water just about anytime. I used to fish from early morning until either noon or until I got tired of casting. Then I'd turn on the radio, move to the rear deck, open my lunch and a beverage and just let the wind carry me across the lake. On the right day, it's heaven, or really close.

Now that I'm retired I find I'm not spending enough time out there because I'm painting or working in the yard. I need to fix that by getting the kayak and taking the wife out in the AS.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #78

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wait, you're spending LESS time fishing now that you're retired?! That's not right at all!! Retirement is my only hope of having a peaceful day on the water as you describe. Right now we seem to fill our days with 'too dang much to do' every single weekend.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Wait, you're spending LESS time fishing now that you're retired?! That's not right at all!! Retirement is my only hope of having a peaceful day on the water as you describe. Right now we seem to fill our days with 'too dang much to do' every single weekend.
Concept vs. reality
Before retiring I asked a friend who had been retired for several years what it was like. "'Every day is Saturday' so you have all the time to do what you want but what you want to do is nothing, just relax. In a few months you're not only caught up on your fishing, you're actually tired of it." His bass boat is currently sitting in his backyard, grass growing around it, mold taking over the hull, tires rotted and blown. I keep asking him to sell it to me so I can get it for my son but he says... "Nah, I may get interested in it again someday."

There are things we have been putting off for years and years, now I'm slowly getting those things done. Besides, I have a couple of fishing trips coming up with my friends, heading down to Tennessee for a full week in May, then another in Wisconsin in July. The wife is interested in getting a kayak on the TV roof so we can fish when we take the AS. We're getting worked up again now that the weather is turning warm. I think our attempt at bank fishing convinced her to go with the kayak.

The best part? Now we can fish during the week when all the speed boats and tubing enthusiasts are working. We've gone a few times and the parking lots are mostly empty Monday through Friday noon; it's nice

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 04-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #80
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Had the chance to paddle a "Stealth ProFisha 575" yesterday. Its a cross between a surf ski and a SOT fishing kayak. Made in South Africa, pretty nice boat. You can google it to check it out. My friend Dan at Headwaters Kayak in Lodi,Ca. has them in stock!! can I plug a business here? also find him on Facebook .
Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I found some interesting action videos by paddleguy.com on YouTube. He goes into the speed and maneuverability more so than fishing. There are several others reviewing its speed. I didn't really see any that offered a review of its fishability.

It is a very cool looking kayak and it seems to be pretty fast. One video shows about 8 KPH but I know nothing about kayak speeds. It was zipping along in the ocean pretty good, however.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 04-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #82
laketime

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
My wife and I have a Jackson Cuda 12 and a Hobie Outback 12 for fishing. Both of these kayaks are made specifically for fishing. We solved our transporting problem with an Airstream by purchasing a Thule Xsporter 500 that mounts to the bed of the truck with no drilling, now we can carry both kayaks on the truck when we take the Airstream. The Xsporter is a bit expensive but that was the only system I could find that I could lower for easier loading now that I have had so many birthdays. These are both sit on top fishing kayaks and are stable and easy to handle. I also built motor mounts for 32lb thrust electric motors when we want them. Youtube is a great source for those ideas. Right of the shelf the Jackson Cuda is cheaper and a better setup fishing than the Hobie but the Hobie had the Mirage drive i wanted so I created a few add-ons like additional attached tackle boxes and storage to make it a more functional. The kayak dealers offer kayak demo's and specific demo days where they bring out many boats for the public to try. You will want to do that if you think a kayak might be the way to go. Try the Jackson Cuda if you get a chance.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Fishing Question for those fishers among us.

I am going fishing, for the first time, in an Arizona Lake soon. I will be with an experienced catch and release fly fisher.

My plan is to straight rod fish from the shore, catch, clean and eat for dinner.

I have done some research on fishing forums and you tube but would like some more info.

Question is: how do you kill your fish?

Seems thunking them on the head, gilling and coolers are the most common. I would like to be humane and quick.

Pardon for any incorrect verbiage, just getting informed.

Thanks, fishing for dinner and advice.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I never really thought about, but I guess we kill the fish when we cut off their heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote