Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The 8'6" width and the ground clearance and approach and departure angle problems are quite limiting with the longer trailers.
Jammer ... I don't know about you, but there are times that when I pull into gas stations, I'm scrapping the skip plate on the back in of my 30' trailer. I always perfer truck stops, as they have level areas and lots of room. ...

I would be hard pressed pulling my 30' up some trail.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have done that too and don't like it one bit. The worst situation I ran into was one with construction where I didn't realize that the exit from a row of islands was impassable so I had to back up.

Another fact to consider that is apropos the original question is that if you are accomplished at backing the trailer you gain a large cushion that would not otherwise be present. As long as the road surface presents good traction, there is reasonable clearance from side to side, and there are no potholes or hazards in the road itself it's no big deal to back up 1/4 mile or more using the side mirrors if you know what you're doing. Semi drivers working road construction do that all the time just to place loads from dump trailers.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Honestly, I don't worry about cities a whole lot. I've pulled my 25-footer through downtown in a couple of large cities behind my 23-foot long Chevy dually. Right turns can be tricky with curbs, but it's a lot easier than it seems at first glance. The trick is to take it slow and be careful. You get a lot of strange looks from people on the sidewalks, but it's certainly doable.
I'm not too fond of the idea of taking my trailer down tight trails simply due to the fact that they often get a lot rougher and tighter as they venture further and further from the pavement. I save those for when the camper is safely tucked into a campsite somewhere.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
This is the big compromise. Navion is better en route. Fits into two parking spots at back of lot, easy to street park Easy to maneuver in gas stations. The trailer is better once located in a campsite, the tow vehicle is easier to tour with and you can leave stuff out in the trailer when it is parked and you're out touring in the tow vehicle. The type of rig forces a camping style to some degree.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
There are a million pros and cons to the different types of rigs out there. It all really comes down to personal preference and what's important to you. If I really wanted to spend a lot of time exploring the back country, I'd find one of the Ford based Airstream B-vans and do a 4x4 conversion on it.

AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote