Old 02-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to JeffandSuzanne
How do you carry bicycles?

We have a 30' Excella and two bicycles. Right now, we are carrying them inside the trailer, but would like to get some sort of rack. We've heard you can't put a rack on the back of an Airstream. What do any of you use to carry bicycles?

Old 02-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We either carry them in the bed of the truck, inside the trailer, or you can mount a rack on the front of your tow vehicle. Make sure you won't be blocking the headlights/radiator when mounting.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Has anyone tried...

My TV has a ball mount on the bumper in addition to the reciever that I use to tow with. I was playing with the idea of putting a ball hitch type carrier there. Is this a bad idea? Since they fold down, it would still allow access to the bed of the truck, I wouldnt think it should impeed turning radius.....

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
My TV has a ball mount on the bumper in addition to the reciever that I use to tow with. I was playing with the idea of putting a ball hitch type carrier there. Is this a bad idea? Since they fold down, it would still allow access to the bed of the truck, I wouldnt think it should impeed turning radius.....
That actually sounds reasonable, so long as the arm-long list of precautions you'll no doubt receive aren't too off-putting...

We will probably be carrying 4 bikes again this summer. Two kid's bikes, a grown up bike, and probably a folder. Occasionally a tandem. Haven't quite cracked that nut yet, but pretty sure it will go on the roof of the truck. We might put the tandem in the trailer for short weekends.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Take a look at the Unigrip Bicycle system.

AZ Truck Accessories | Topline*Unigrip Truck Bed Bike Rack

We use it and it is easy to set up and requires no holes to be drilled on your truck.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I'd talk to Service advisors at Airstream factory as well.. Common wisdom is that overhangning loads on rear hitch mount on trailer with long overhang will stress frame and contribute to frame "sag" or separation, since rear weight loads shared between frame and trailer shell.

When we bought our used 25' trailer, it had a receiver welded to trailer frame with substantial reinforcement, and shorter overhang (distance from rear axle to back bumper) than yours. We have used a bike rack on rear, including drive from CA to Salem last year, and had no problems, but continue to receive negative inputs. It may also make difference to have lighter (aluminum) rack and lightweight bicycles..

We addressed issue with Dahon folding bikes (26" Espresso model and 20" 5 spd model) that fit into poly canvas bags and ride in back of Excursion. We're considering front receiver mount on Excursion, but worried about blocking headlights and airflow... If rear of truck usually filled with other things, folders might work (search on folding bicycles here..) or truck would take front receiver mount.

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Bike Friday and Giant Halfway.

Roger
Old 02-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I installed a reciever on the front of my truck and attach a bike rack to it. Works fine. No interference with lights/radiator/or my view of the road. Nice stable ride.
Your choice.Rgds, Scott

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTW
I installed a reciever on the front of my truck and attach a bike rack to it. Works fine. No interference with lights/radiator/or my view of the road. Nice stable ride.
What he said.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BikeRackWP.JPG
Views:	2134
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	32498  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Its hard to believe that doesnt block your view at least some

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Its hard to believe that doesnt block your view at least some
You're right, Rodney - I do not have a totally unobstructed view. But for the "two-second" rule on the highway, I have a clear view of what I need to be mindful of. At slower speeds, it has not been a problem as I always give everyone a wide berth while in traffic.

Worth mentioning, though, is that I cut a foot off of the the rack's hieght as it was originally purchased. The present height holds my bike's wheels off the ground at the same level as the front suspension's frame.

Tom
Old 02-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
It makes a difference what type bikes you carry. We originally carried one male/one female bike. The female bike, without the upper crunch bar, rode too high on the rack. Wife decided she didn't like to bike in the way aond opted to ride a male bike. Bought another at Wal-Mart for abut 50 bucks. She loves it, and they both fit well on the rack....much better than Tom's picture above.
'gards

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Yes, if you like good bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTW
It makes a difference what type bikes you carry....Bought another at Wal-Mart for abut 50 bucks...they both fit...much better than Tom's picture above.
FWIW, my adult bikes did not come from Wal-Mart.

Tom
Old 02-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
another way to handle bikes - truck top

I carried bikes flat in my truck bed, front wheel off, so that the tonneau cover would close. This just did not work out - they took too much precious space, and were too hard to get in-and-out.

I changed that out, and hopefully a photo pops up somewhere around here showing what I have now. If not, it is a truck "top", more like a small camper shell, that has a small smoked-glass door in the back, plus the entire back hinges up like a minivan liftgate. The original truck tailgate is no longer used.

Advantages: I can store bikes vertically using hublocks that attach the bikes to a 1x4, which in turn is fastened (but easily removed) to the truck bed; I've regained most of the truckbed floor space; I've gained some vertical storage space; my visibility to the rear has actually improved because of the glass door; I no longer have to reach awkwardly across the big truck tailgate to retrieve items; I have access from the sides through windows; it has a window at the front, allowing me to haul long stuff such has lumber for home projects by extending the boards into the truck cab; items in the truck bed are reasonable secure.

Disadvantages: $$$$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1157 (Medium).JPG
Views:	100
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	32502  

WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote