Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
How do I tell if I've got gas?

I have a 22 Sport, which has the small propane gas tanks. There's some indication that the tanks might be empty (i.e., the fridge, on "gas," is giving that blinking caution sign). But they should both be nearly full, since the trailer has only been out twice. Is it possible that after two short outings, with only some minimal cooking and a little bit of refridgerating-while-traveling, that they would both be empty?

Anyway, how do I know? People say "weigh them," but that's kind of a pain in the butt, particularly since I don't know what they weigh empty or full. Someone else told me they get cold when they're empty, but I don't know how to tell when they're colder than they were before they were the temperature they are now.

So, I'm kind'a confused about what I'm looking at and what to look for, and any advice much appreciated.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
What does the regulator show? If it shows red, you are empty. If it shows red switch it to the other side if it did not do that automatically. Should be info in your owners pack. Jim

Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The quickest and best indicator is to light one of the burners on the stove.

Now that said it assumes that your tank is turned on. If you have 2 tanks it assumes that the crossover regulator is set to go to the full tnak once the first tank empties.

You say you have only been out twice. If you have a leak in the piping and the tanks are left turned on you could have lost the gas and might not even smell it on a small leak. The first place to look for a leak is the connection between the hose coming off the regulator and the flared nut connecting it to the piping. That connection will open over time do to road vibrations.

To test for a leak, once you have a full tank, open the tank and charge the lines. Turn the tank off and leave the trailer for several hours or better yet a day. Go to the tanks and turn one on. If you hear gas flow into the system you have a leak. The system should hold its charge for months for this test.

The empty weight of the tank is stamped on the collar. After you have lifted a filled tank a few times you will know by feel about how much in in one. If you swing a partially filled tank you will be able to feel liquid movement in it

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I was going to say, when the stove doesn't work you are out of gas but Howie beat me to it

Pour hot water on the tank, run your hand down it and when you get to the cooler area that is about the level of the gas. Works a little better when you have something like the stove on inside.

Not likely you would be out, I would expect close to 2 weeks out of a 20 lb tank if you are only cooking and running the fridge. Maybe a bit less if the water heater is on a lot
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Maybe the tanks were not all the way full from the dealer. Would not be the first time... Jim
Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
U could have a blockage for your gas to the refrigerator. Turn the refrig off for ten to fifth teen seconds. Turn back on to gas and it should work. This assumes you have gas in your tanks.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Blazing Saddles Fart Scene - YouTube

If you experience this at a rally get together, then you have more than enough!

Im soo soo sorry, i couldnt help myself when i saw the original question!!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I have a 22 Sport, which has the small propane gas tanks. There's some indication that the tanks might be empty (i.e., the fridge, on "gas," is giving that blinking caution sign). But they should both be nearly full, since the trailer has only been out twice. Is it possible that after two short outings, with only some minimal cooking and a little bit of refridgerating-while-traveling, that they would both be empty?
No but if you ran the furnace for a couple of nights or left the water heater on in storage, the answer changes.

As others have said, if you can light the stove and it stays lit, you have gas. If it does not, either you have a problem (like a closed valve) or you're out of gas.

Quote:
Anyway, how do I know? People say "weigh them," but that's kind of a pain in the butt, particularly since I don't know what they weigh empty or full.
The empty weight, or tare weight, is stamped on the collar after the letters "TW". For small (20# capacity) tanks, it's usually 16.6 pounds. The easiest way to weigh them is to bring a bathroom scale out next to the trailer tongue, disconnect the tank, and set it on the scale. It is hard to do this wrong so if you're confused about exactly what is going on, weigh them.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Usually picking up a gas bottle and turning it upside down will tell you if there is anything in it. The contents will slosh around. If you have a scale you can weigh it as stated above.

Perry
Old 05-29-2014, 01:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We use a scale, like this one from WalMart. I think it was less than $10.

Protege Luggage Scale and Tape Measure: Luggage : Walmart.com

Subtract "TARE" weight (stamped in the metal handle) from your measurement, to get the "net" weight of the propane in the tank. When full, the net weight of a 20# tank will usually be a little less than 20#.