Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2002, 01:00 PM   #1

Question motorcycle

I have a 1966 globetrotter, I wish to carry a honda 250 (aprox250 lbs.) mounted from rear bumper ??. What can I do to make this work?
swingard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 01:21 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The Airstream Frame has been designed to carry the trailer and the personal stuff we put in it. Adding a 250 LB weight to the rear bumper will overload the frame and can cause it to fail, not
to mention the way it will adversely affect the tow ability of the trailer and tongue weight.

You may want to consider a different way to transport the motorcycle. I have seen some custom hitch extensions that would go between the trailer and tow vehicle. But then you have to look at total hitch weight and the capabilities of your tow vehicle. Not to say some people do put bikes and such on the back of an Airstream but the mounting of such items can cause frame problems>

Just my 2 cents worth. I am sure that a more reasoned response will come from some of our more senior members that have more experience.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 02:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
You will gaurantee yourself three things, if you mount the bike on the rear bumper. Rear end separation is the first and the second would be eliminating much tongue weight, rendering the weight equalizing hitch (if your using one) almost useless.
The third and most important, when you loose control of that rig, and you will, you become very liable for any and all property and personal injury to others, as well as to your family. Basic physics tells you DON'T GO THERE.
Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

We have a member at the Top of Georgia club that carries his Big motorcycle (Harley or Goldwing, I believe) in the bed of his pickup and tows his AS trailer. He has a special ramp to load and unload. Another member has a 34 foot AS trailer, carries a Harley and Sidecar in a small trailer hitched to the back of the AS. Pulls it all with a souped up 7.3 Ford truck. He's over 70 feet long going down the road, says he's never gotten a ticket, just had a few cops pull him over to look at the rig.

Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote