Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Houston Trip & Photos..

..this Easter we decided to visit relatives in Houston..my daughter was fortunate to have not one, but TWO cousins in her second grade class, which thrilled us as parents...but then Katrina came and changed all that...her cousins relocated to Houston and are thriving there but we hardly get to see them anymore..

..a great excuse to pack up the trailer and make one of America's LEAST scenic routes from New Orleans to Houston!...what a trip!.. the road has no shortage of "inappropriate" billboards like this one for some sleazy "adult cabaret" next to a Taco Rico ('rico' being my long-time nickname, so we hadda shoot it):

Click image for larger version

Name:	tacorico-6089.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	99606

..crusing along, stopped at a truck stop in Jennings, LA and "look Dad, an AIRSTREAM!"..not only an Airstream, but a VINTAGE Airstream, my favorite!..let's get a shot of the two of them together..

Name:	66AS_1-6084.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	99598

Name:	66AS_rear-6086.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	99600

..nosy snoop that I am (fuh-shizzle, dawg).. I look in the rear window and hey, there's people in there!.. and very NICE people they turned out to be, a lady (sorry, luv, I forgot your name cuz my memory aint' what it used to be) on the left who just got her permit to sell art in Jackson Square ("new orleans? we're FROM there!) and her bud who drove down from Massachusetts to help her haul it back to Mobile from Texas...now THAT'S what I call a friend!..

Name:	66AS_folks-6087.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	99599

..she plans to convert it to an art studio, cool!...and just when I'm thinking hey, ONLY cool people own Airstreams my dream gets totally SHATTERED by a KNUCKLEHEAD towing an Excella who REFUSED to slow down and let me back on the Interstate after a harrowing ten minutes changing a blowout on the side of I-10! argh! YOU, Sir, should not be allowed to tow such a wonderful piece of The Trailermaker's Art!! This dirtbag (probably also not a forums member) actually appeared to speed up and try and kill us three! WTF??? OK, OK...we made it...thank you, God, for making the blowout happen right near an on-ramp anyway.....now back to our story..

...so we make it to the Lakeside RV Resort in Houston where they promptly stuck us fifteen feet from an insanely busy freeway and under ten thousand kilowatts of high power transmission lines...oh, and my kid found a RAT carcass within ten minutes of unhooking, so we named it "The Rat Zone":

Name:	ratzone-6092.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	99607

..next morning (after I got my alotted TWO hours of sleep) my wife (the diplomat in the family) got us moved next to the lake and we got to experience the nice side of Lakeside RV! (if you go, spring the extra 8 bucks and park there...DON'T let them put you by the freeway!...(even if they hate you because you're from a city that bombarded them with scumbag criminals after the worst hurricane in American history...remember: you're still an Airstreamer!...)..

...people catch beautiful catfish in this lake routinely...the dusk fishing is peaceful and sublime..

Name:	duskfishing-6094.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	99604

...the cousins came out to have dinner with us one night at the park...and THIS is why we made the trip..I call this shot "Cousins For Life"

Name:	cuzforlife-6101.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	99602

...NaNa wasn't none too thrilled we took her baby off for Easter, but we did manage to get some eggs dyed anyway..

Name:	eggdye-6116.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	99605

...we all hit the Texas Rock Gym and had a BLAST scurrying up, belaying, and all that good stuff.. even Dad made it up to the top in record time!

Name:	dadonrocks-6173.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	99603

..a very swingin' establishment..and I believe they have the World's Only Belaying Canine, a mellow furry dude name of "Blackjack":

Name:	blackjack-6144.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	99601

...gotta run for now, but I'll try and update with a few more shots soon...happy 'Streamin'!!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Nice pics, even more fun exposition.

But next time you've got to go the extra 200 miles and come on in to Austin.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Thanks for sharing your trip with us Rico!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Nice pics, even more fun exposition.

But next time you've got to go the extra 200 miles and come on in to Austin.

-Marcus
..definitely, Marcus, the rock climbing had us hankering for some Enchanted Rock, more bluebells, more music, more Hill Country on our next trip out your way...
Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Houston Trip

So where is Lakeside at? Looks like some fabulous concrete there. Did they ever get that stretch of I10 from Beaumont to Houston fixed up? When I brought my trailer back to Texas on my initial run without equalizer/sway bars I felt like I was running the gauntlet through there.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
more Houston trip

..the whole route is a bit blurry to me..but seems like the BumOut to Houston leg is mostly fixed up...probably a few slowdowns still...

..lemme upload some more photos and finish up this travelog..so anyway..unlike most of our trips where my wife has a serious 'activity agenda' planned out (apparently, left to my own devices I would spend every trip staring into a fire or piddlin'...hey, I don't deny it!)...this time we just hung out with the Cuzn'z....and piddled around!...

..the girls shot some hoops and broke some house rules (nobody ratted them out..)

Name:	goaltending-0887.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	99866

..Lakeside is really a nice rv park if you don't need trees...like I said, the fishing can be great and easy...git you some stink-bait and a new fly rod at the nearby Bass Pro and round up supper like our fellow Yat (native n.o.'er) Tommy here did:

Name:	tommyfish-6099.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	99870

...as we were packing up to leave we saw this nice lady in pink boots exiting her super-cute baby blue canned ham and she even had pink flamingoes outside:

Name:	la.d.da-0891.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	99868

...man, talk about a serious 'fellow traveler'!!!...this Ms. Kay has a sign making business and "can't stand to be a walking advertisement for anyone" (yes!! shoot me immediately if you ever see a Gap or Abercrombie or North Face logo on my chest!) so she "hacked" her trailer's name plate (which I think was TDA or something like that), REMOVED the "T" and replaced it with an identical "D" to name her baby "La De Dah"...hopefully Ms. Kay wasn't just pulling my leg with this!! (if so, high-five me baby! you good!) ....and she has such a TERMINAL case of Aluminitus like you never seen befo'! Lawd, yall, she got the grand tour of our interior, actually LOVED our gawdd-awful-blistered-tint wing windows (that's when I knew she was a goner...this child will be owning aluminum SOON) and just raved about how perfect our rig was...bless you, Kay, you rock....now email us that picture of the happy couple standing outside the Safari.....

..so we hit the road headed back to Superdome City and once again, at a truck stop, another Airstream! ..this one belonging to none other than our forums buddy "kleiman_r"!! Rich and Judy Kleiman, never met before, but had us another groovy Airstream conversation-fest. :

Name:	kleimans-6181.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	99867

Rich K & Judy were headed down to that legendary So.La. rally-excursion thing around French Settlement...get ready for some serious good times and good food you two!...

...everywhere we go we see 'em...and like I told Rich Foley's wife yesterday: "when you're 50+ and find something that makes you feel like a ten-year-old again, don't let go!"...how's that for rationalizing your aluminum obsession??

...my lil'ole dream-tube..how I love thee...in style and comfort you bring visions like this into my life:

Name:	three.in.door-6175.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	99869
Old 04-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Mobile , NewOrleans
it is you!!!!!!!!!
you dear sir...........were the very 1st airstreamer we met~
glad it was you!
my name is Holly Krause,,,and my memory aint what it used to be either...damn paint fumes* ha
glad i found such a cool family
Jezzbell76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
hey HOLLLLLY, right, now I remember, glad to see you surface on the forums! PM me if you should eventually need "Kurt"s number in Mobile, he's the guy who's parting out the '76 I told you about, though all the cabinets, etc, are post-flood and yucky...

(Holly is the lady artist in the first post above, for those of you who may be just tuning in..)

...stop by my booth at Jazzfest 2nd weekend, if you happen to come..you can also see my band there, 2nd Friday, Laigniappe Stage, 3:15....
Old 04-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Mobile , NewOrleans
i saw your band!!!!!
you got on the lagniappe stage~impressive
no....im trying to save moolah for memorial weekend,my little sister will be selling in jackson square the 2cd weekend
but i will keep intouch~ill be selling there after june
gotta go breathe more FUMES
Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
...would those be oil-based-artist paint fumes?.... if so, man, you're speaking my language! I spent most of '93 painting instead of shooting and loved most every minute... 'course, if you're talking about Nuvite, Strip Eze, or West Marine epoxy fumes (all familiar to AS renovators) well, unfortunately, you're still speaking my language!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:27 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Mobile , NewOrleans
"Nuvite, Strip Eze, or West Marine epoxy fumes & bears oh MY!!!!!!!!!"

more knowledge ...........
ha,jk
um im mostly working with mixed mediums and acrylic
im going to try and please some folks....and im totally inspired to do some airstream art

<~~~jumpin up n down with ideas....

ive always been too poor for oils bleh :/
and im impatient ,,nothing like watching paint dry
so regular paint fumes..ive been working with exterior,40 ftt,spray rigs while lifting up ladder jacks vs.gently leaning over baby grand,and not tinking a single crystal of chandelier,trying to cut an interior trim line while blindfolded
oh and there was that period in life when i wanted to be a mardi gras float painter~tried it
and well....................... I HAVE AN AIRSTREAM!!

sorry i blurbed
i had a little mishap with the TV 90 jeep grand wagoneer i bought yesterday
um
im pretty sure the battery exploded,but it drove great earlier when i went to get bulbs for running lights and check tire pressure
so im grrrrr

but i have an airstream!