Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Hopefully headed for Maine...

We have tentatively set aside several weeks to head up to Maine and play along the way. Have never been there, so very exicted! Any CG to stay away from/or must stay??? We have military priveldges and Great Pond has several openings...suggestions? Noticed in rv park reviews, there appear to be some parks to stay away from.
We always like to hear from those that have been there/done that!
I looked at previous threads on Maine, anyone have current experience...any streamers up there now?
Suggestions are always appreciated.
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Bar Harbor, great place. I was there for a week and ate lobster 3 times a day. Do yourself a favor and don't get a whole lobster but get the "lobster roll". You get the entire lobster but they do all the work and you get all the lobster meat. For sure do a clam bake on the beach just for fun of it and the food is great too. The blueberries will be ripe by now so have alot of muffins, ice cream, etc. Also do the Park and a deep sea fishing excursion. L.L. Bean is a definate and is open 24 hours at Freeport. Maine is one of my favorite states, even coming from a western dude.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
If you're heading all the way to Mt Desert Island and Bar Harbor -

Andi,

in no particular order -

watch the sun set from the top of Cadillac Mountain with someone you love....

lunch or a light dinner meal at the Atlantic Brewing Company - The Atlantic Brewing Company's Estate Brewery in Bar Harbor, Maine - excellent pulled pork, and everything else, not to mention the brews!

we stayed one September 2010 weekday night at "Mt. Desert Narrows" that was just fine - Mt. Dessert Narrows - Sea Breeze, Salt Air, Ocean Views all for you I'm sure that it is much busier from now through Labor Day. the KOA just onto the island was neat & clean, and rents Airstreams to stay in.

Beals Lobster Pound in Somes Harbor is a little busy for me in high season, but the food is fine and so is sitting outside, looking at the harbor, for lunch.

Route One to or from MDI makes for nice ride. if you take the coastal route, you could make a stop @ LL Bean in Freeport. park in the back lots on Justins Way.

Camden State Park in Camden comes highly recommended by "Over59". we stopped to check it out - looks great!

don't attempt using the George Washington Bridge & I95 north through NYC - take I87/287 and the Tappan Zee Bridge instead.

let us know when you're passing through. we could probably manage courtesy parking for a nite!

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Maine

Love Maine here too, trying to get up there in Sept. I stay in Wells Maine at Sea-View campground, have been there many times. Nice shade trees, pull through and back in sites, lots of resturants nearbly. The only bad I know of is pay showers. If you stay, go south on 1 maybe 1.5 miles (been a while) . make left, go down the hill (past another CG) and just out of the woods on the left side is the best little seafood/reasurant around. We call it the Old Man's but he's been retired a few years, the road continues on to an island with houses and a beach. Have fun! MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We can vouch for:

Summer Theater at Hackmatack Playhouse - Berwick Maine - Home Page

:: Welcome :: The Lobster Shack at Two Lights

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster Company | Lunch counter and lobster pound | South Freeport Maine Harbor

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We just got back from a trip up to Quebec city and then Prince Edward Island. On the way home we stayed 3 days at Camden Hills State Park. I would highly recommend it if it works into your plans. Camden is a very nice town and the park campground is very nice. Enjoy the lobster and take a sail boat ride out of Camden to round out your trip. Have a great time in Maine.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Ok...now I'm really excited!!! Have listed everything ya'll advised including route! If I ever learn to post pictures (yea..right!) I'll share our adventures!
Thanks everyone!
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
WOG
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Concord , Massachusetts
Baxter State Park

I lived in Maine during my college years. Maine and it's people hold a special place in my heart. The coast is gorgeous for sure. But it is a huge state. Baxter State Park is a beautiful wilderness area in the heart of moose country. Mt. Katahdin looks more like a Rocky Mountain than an East coast mountain. It is the northern terminus for the Appalchian Trail. Great fishing and awesome hiking if you are into the wilderness experience. I went up Mt Katahdin on Sept 28 one year and had to turn back because of heavy snow. I doubt a trailer or Rv can camp within the park, but I'm sure there are places just outside the park. White water rafting nearby too.

Welcome to Baxter State Park

It's not really a "tourist" area. But it is beautiful. It's a long way up there, but coming from Florida, you're practically there. Might as well get into the White Mountains in NH while you're up there too.

Have fun
WOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Maine Bound

Just returned from Maine and if you are in the Freeport area (LL Bean) you can park overnight free in the parking lot across the street from LL Bean. I stayed there last night along with about 8 other campers. It's probably just for over night and if you really set up camp i'm sure someone would inform you it's strictly a one night event.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
what wog said!!!
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Gouldsboro , Maine
C'mon up, it's beautiful this time of year!
sophiefox is offline   Reply With Quote