Old 10-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Hook ups Connections for the easy life

Greetings

I did not see a specific thread on such a topic but I thought it pertinent as I want to know and others may also have an interest. So many have learned short cuts and products that may help. Usually as a solo camper, I am interested in not taking an hour setting camp. One of the caveats to RV trailer ownership besides backing that I have heard is the extra work of de-hitching and extra connections.I do not find the de-hitching that difficult but let's discuss connections and/or de-hitching time savers. My contributions and questions below.

LP generator line:
One solution, I recently got a quick connect for my LP generator line which saves me about 5 minutes in a boon docking situation. Ironically all but one evening when I hooked up the generator this summer it was pouring rain. I could have been so much faster with a quick connect line. Now, is there a type of connector that better holds the weight of the trailer AC cord to the side of a generator if using a standard 2 prong/30AMP adapter?

Water line:
This one is IMO the messiest. Often the spigot threadings are thin and for some reason difficult to get the hose connected. Any fast options here?

Electrical:
Straighforward- cord to trailer/cord and circuit protector to box or generator.

Portable Solar:
I added exterior jacks to the battery box for portable solar, like some bigger RVs and it saves time without dealing with alligator clips and concerns on polarity.

WiFi/HDTV AIR:
Those that still have the crank Winegard have some options to add WiFi and even a new frequency HDTV antenna to the batwing mount. Crank it up and you have your antenna array ready to go. Turning it is nearly a mute point with the new antenna so I rarely have to mess with it once lifted. Saves time.

Leveling:
I got a two-way level for the trailer tongue and the legos for use under the jack and on a side if needed but it takes more time than I would like as it is a small level and also requires guessing how many legos and more moving before done. Ideas? Any place to mount a large balance viewable from the truck? Is it worth it?

Stabilizers:
I use a cordless drill for these and the PP3 hitch weight jacks and add legos to shorten distance.

What other ways can Airstreamers "save time" dehitching or connecting?

Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Greetings

Water line:
This one is IMO the messiest. Often the spigot threadings are thin and for some reason difficult to get the hose connected. Any fast options here?
For thread issues, easy -- get a water thief:
Amazon.com: Camco 22484 Water Bandit: Automotive

For the rest of my water setup, I use, liberally, hose decouplers; brass for fresh water hoses and inlets and plastic for black water hoses and inlets:

From the hosepipe stem, a single length of 4' white hose, leading to a double T junction to allow for one drinking hose and two black hoses:

Amazon.com: Camco 22763 TastePURE Drinking Water Hose (1/2"ID x 4&#39: Automotive - short hose
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024ECDL4 - 3x, two connected to a third; one side with brass couplers and one side with plastic couplers.
Amazon.com: Teknor Apex 8602-25 NeverKink 5/8" X 25' RV and Marine Hose: Automotive - for the city inlet or water fill.
Amazon.com: Camco 20135 Brass Quick Hose Connect: Automotive - in multiples for all the fresh water couplings.
http://www.amazon.com/Melnor-15MQC-4...dp/B00004SDUW/ - in multiples for all the grey/black couplings

On the fresh water side, into a filter for each fresh line -- Amazon.com: Camco 40045 TastePURE KDF Water Filter - 2 pack: Automotive changed out once a month

after that on the fresh water side is the final entry for one hose into the trailer-in and the other hose into the mister system (extreme summer only) that clips to my awning.

On the black water side, one hose goes to my sewer solution and the other hose goes to my black tank flush.

What I am missing and need to add is a backflow preventer at the V junction for the blackwater side.

Ian

Old 10-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
For the water hose and filter I use the quick connect brass fittings just like IanPoulin.

For the fresh water hose I use a coiled hose. Make it very quick for draining and small for storage.
http://www.amazon.com/Colorite-WRHC8.../dp/B000KL32YU

For leveling I typically use 2 x 8's. The trailer has the big level on the front. The steel ball between the level mark and the first tick mark means one block under each wheel on that particular side. The first tick mark means two blocks under each wheel on that side.
The new Anderson half moon levelers would probably be quicker.
Hensley Arrow jacks and Bal stabalizers get the Milwaukee cordless drill.
The break a way cable is a coiled cable with a carabiner on the end to hook into the license plate fastener loop.
A small ladder so I can stand up and unfasten the awning hold downs. Much quicker than the Zip Dee aluminum rod.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
For the water hose and filter I use the quick connect brass fittings just like IanPoulin.

For the fresh water hose I use a coiled hose. Make it very quick for draining and small for storage.
Amazon.com: Colorite WRHC8120025 Boat and Camper Self Coiling 25-Foot Water Hose, White: Automotive

For leveling I typically use 2 x 8's. The trailer has the big level on the front. The steel ball between the level mark and the first tick mark means one block under each wheel on that particular side. The first tick mark means two blocks under each wheel on that side.
The new Anderson half moon levelers would probably be quicker.
Hensley Arrow jacks and Bal stabalizers get the Milwaukee cordless drill.
The break a way cable is a coiled cable with a carabiner on the end to hook into the license plate fastener loop.
A small ladder so I can stand up and unfasten the awning hold downs. Much quicker than the Zip Dee aluminum rod.
I like the coiled hose idea - probably much easier to deal with then the normal garden hose type.

We also keep a ladder on board - this one is very light and fits in the front storage compartment.
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
ranchometal

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Mare Island , California
question

Re: WiFi/HDTV AIR:
Those that still have the crank Winegard have some options to add WiFi and even a new frequency HDTV antenna to the batwing mount. Crank it up and you have your antenna array ready to go. Turning it is nearly a mute point with the new antenna so I rarely have to mess with it once lifted. Saves time.

Please tell me more, link, etc., on how to update the crank winegard with WiFI and the new HDTV antenna.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
For side-to-side leveling, I use the Hopkins indicators which tell you how many inches of lift is required.
Amazon.com: Hopkins 08525 Graduated Level: Automotive
Then I took my Anderson levelers:Amazon.com: Andersen-3604 Camper Leveler: Automotive
and used a marking pen to mark radius lines at 1,2 & 3 inches of lift (4 inches is the max).

Find your spot, read you Hopkins, place your Anderson's and have your spotter tell you when the radius marking on the Anderson is vertical. One pass, 3 minutes max. No spotter, add the time to exit and re-enter the TV, but since the Anderson's are continuously variable there's no pulling off, adding blocks, etc.

I use 2x4x6 wood blocks for the tongue jack.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
As a solo streamer I wasn't sure where this thread was heading after that title

But, yes streamlining the setup / breakdown process is a good thing too.

I' m particularly interested in antenna improvements for the old rabbit ears antenna currently on my motorhome.

Cheers Richard
Old 10-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Ice Man - do you need two Anderson levelers if you have two axles or do you rsise one axle and then insert blocks under the other axle? Is it acceptable to have just one wheel elevated and supported or can this place excessive stress on the non-supported axle?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The TV cable connections are a pain. My fingers are too big to fit in the little box on the side of the trailer and my wife who has more slender fingers didn't find it easy either. After 8 years we finally got some push on (quick connect) coaxial cable connectors. A package of 10 (8 too many unless you use them at home too) was fairly easy to find on Amazon.

We have one water hose that is supposed to coil easily, but after a few years it kinks a lot and doesn't coil so easily. We keep 2 hoses connected to each end of an exterior filter and it is not easy to coil it all and drain them both and the filter. But we use large plastic boxes for the fresh water hoses and another one for the sewer stuff. Eventually they crack on the bottom from dropping them on the ground—duct tape gives them another year or two. But the boxes keep the clean and dirty hoses from coming in contact and are easy to move in and out of the truck bed.

If it is going to freeze during the night, fill the fresh water tank the evening before if it needs it, put the hose away while it still can be coiled and use the fresh water tank overnight and the next morning. Coiling a cold hose even if empty of water takes a lot of time.

Another thing that slows me down is figuring out which key is which. Plastic thingies that cover the round part of the key are cheap and color coded. All you have to do is remember the codes, a somewhat challenging effort.

When we unhitch because we want to drive somewhere with the truck, I usually put a tennis ball over the hitch ball (keeps it cleaner) and leave it on (don't back into someone while parking since your truck will be longer with it on). If we stay somewhere for more than one night I'll often take off the hitch head—takes time and it gets heavier every year—unless we won't do much driving. I built a box to hold the hitch parts and attached a piece of PVC to it to hold the bars. That lives in the truck bed and makes it fast to store them and remove them.

We both do set up and break down. We can do each other's jobs so if one is hung up on something, the other can pick up the slack. I have seen many men doing all the work while his wife lounges in a chair, sits in the tow vehicle or has disappeared into the trailer. Helping each other saves time and since we know all the jobs, we can check each other to make we didn't forget anything.

If the truck has been unhitched, hitch it the evening before you leave. I find it hard to want to do this, but if on a very tight schedule the next day, we will do so. When I check out CG's, I try to find ones where the sites are long enough to not have to unhitch, not always easy to determine. We will ask for long pull thrus when we can get them.

After 8 years, we are pretty fast at this—experience may the best way to speed up the tasks. But we still leave later than a lot of people because we don't want to get out of bed. Isn't retirement about sleeping late?

Gene
Old 10-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I use my cell phone as a level, there are several different leveling apps pick one that talks OR plays a sound when leveling your AS.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Ice Man - do you need two Anderson levelers if you have two axles or do you rsise one axle and then insert blocks under the other axle? Is it acceptable to have just one wheel elevated and supported or can this place excessive stress on the non-supported axle?
Use two of them - not sure if not using two places excessive stress on the axle (makes sense that it would but don't know if it is required) but it does reduce the stress from my wife on why I don't use two.

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/airstream.nerds.7
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #12
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
I like the coiled hose idea - probably much easier to deal with then the normal garden hose type...[/URL]
(Just making sure you're not actually suggesting "the normal garden hose type" for a potable drinking water hose.)

Also, when dealing with difficult to locate utility pole services while boon docking, I have found it handy to carry one of these. Especially at music festivals or rallies on big grassy fields, this'll make your neighbors go absolutely apoplectic. (Wish I could say I built it m'self, but that'd be far from true.)

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 2.02.17 PM.png
Views:	127
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	250672  
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Very nice hook up pedestal.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #14