Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Beneath the title
2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Honey, It's the beginning of a great adventure

Our trip from Fort Lewis Washington to Fort Jackson SC starts today. We are being transferred from the upper left to the deep right coast. We have about 10 days to get there. Our possessions are in a truck somewhere. We don't have a house to live that is not on wheels. The cat knows we are up to something, he is smarter than he let's on but I may be paranoid.

We have two sea kayaks on the truck, TV, laptops, Propane and everything that was in the freezer stuffed into one portal or another. AS'ing is an organized person's game.

A little bit about the route. We came out here on the Northern Route so we are taking a more southernly course. Down through Boise, Utah, Albuquerque.

The cat is the big mystery here. He can yowl like an F-16 on the 3 mile ride to the vet, this trip will be 3000 times that. We tried sedating him on the trip out here and he just howled drunk. As an FYI: His chart at the vet has a hazardous sticker on it. Like a skull and cross bones kind of thing that you might see on a bottle of poison.

We have a lot of support from a lot of places, especially the forum. Being a military family some times makes it hard to ask for help but we are learning. Especially in the advice department.

I will try and keep you posted with photos along the way and update the thread. Today, we leave and will try and make about 350 to 450 miles.

Good Speed to us, let the games begin......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Hondo.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	101093   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	101094  

Name:	Sunrise Airstream.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	101095  

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Beneath the title
2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Here is our route. It appears it has been snowing a bit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	59
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	101097  

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #3

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
If your Southern route brings you thru the Jackson, MS area for a stop - lemme know if I can offer some local suggestions.

Keep us posted and good luck.
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
Portland, OR to albuquerque

made that trip many a time-piece of cake...don't know about the rest of it. I'd suggest putting the cat inside the AS and hang a couple of doo dads from the ceiling-the motion of the AS will make the doo dads swing-entertaining the cat. 'sides, if it's howling, you'll not hear. Thank you for your service, and good luck traveling.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Clarksville , Tennessee
I made a similar trip in 2005. Took our two cats from Fort Lewis to Fort Benning, GA with them howling nearly the entire first day. After that, they seemed to get the hang of it. We've done two moves since then and still get the howling on the first day. Best of luck and safe travels.
DCtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great pictures. Keep us posted on your progress. Safe travels.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Livermore , California
Thumbs up Good trip

Looks like a nice trip. Be safe.
Shiny metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Thanks for your service to our country. I do understand what you mean...I have 1 of our dogs that will bark/cry the entire time he is in the truck, also tried to sedate thing, yeah that was a drunk bark/cry too. Be safe in your travels, and good luck!
Kevin & Monique
New to A/S---Not to Honey Do's
Sweetie (lab) Snickers (lab) Blackie(lab)
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
First let me say, "Thank you for your service" and please have a safe trip.

I am new to Airstream... 23 days so far. ;>)

We made that trip a few years ago, only we did it on a Harley. Try packing for that. LOL

We took off for 30 days and put on over 9,000 miles. Every mile was another adventure, we have such a beautiful country. Be sure to take more photos than you think you will ever need, you won't regret it.

We came back by way of the Gulf coast. The real hero of the trip was my wife, riding the entire adventure on an 11" pad.

We met wonderful, kind and patriotic folks all across this country. Oklahoma
impressed me as one of the most patriotic bunch.

The worst traffic was near and in Salt Lake city. I call it the "Mormon 500".... they are all out to kill you, so it seemed. ;>) Great folks... but they can not drive!

You don't seem to have the time, but we found the best part of the trip is when we got off the interstate, sought out the small communities where some real down to earth folks live. Regardless of it's problems, our country still has a very strong heart.

In SC, I found the women to be true ladies and the men to be gentlemen, very hospitable and very proud. I liked the boiled peanuts. I had fun telling SC folks that the North Carolinians put on the best BBQ... such a statement could actually start a war. LOL

I would like to make the trip again, but this time with our Airstream... and with my dog.

I wish you the best in your travels.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Come on over! We will be happy and honored to have you! Wishing you safe travels and don't forget to post the pictures! Let me know if there is anything I can help with from Chatt Town, TN.
Kathy, Tommy, & Crew, Chattanooga, TN
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, looks like an adventure to me! Sometimes that's the only way to view life's twists and turns.

Thanks for your service to our country, and travel safe.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Looks like you will be coming right through Little Rock, Arkansas. Let me know if I can do anything too.

Beautiful sunset photo. The cat is a handsome lad, also. He should settle down after a while, but dirty looks don't take much effort and may last longer.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
My four cats will have some words for the first hour, but then they lull themselves to sleep. They ride in an enourmous wire dog crate (dane sized). There's a covered litterbox on the bottom in one corner, and I zip-tied two hammocks (made for ferrets-in pet store)above the box-- this has been an amazing thing for them-- less motion and they are high in the air, and able to look out the windows when the eyes are open. I seem to get more yowling if confined too tightly or loose and insecure. This has been working very well for us. The dogs- I forget they are even with us- they get in, settle and sleep. It's amazing to drive thousands of miles with six animals and never know it. Maybe he will get used to it and maybe a bit of catnip will calm him. Actually there's a thing called rescue remedy- a natural calming tincture- can be directly shot in the mouth or put into water -or food.

Good luck-- take lots of photos, and keep us posted with your adventure!!

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
McDonalds Coffee Creamers are about the best treat a road weary cat can hope for - not too cold either, warm cream is okay.

I started showing my cat the truck by dumping it in the capped bed, got in the front and invited cat in to cab - we hung out 15 minutes and we exited the truck - next night was same thing but this time I had food; Omaha filet, pounces and little coffee creamers... and I started truck and moved it 10 feet then shut it off...

Next night we chased across a field in 4X4 and ever since he's at the door if I jingle my keys. He's got 60,000 miles as co-pilot, we've napped in the cab after 1000 miles in -25F & snow and seen 115F were we both were cooking... I got the AC fixed after that one.

Its all in the presentation

The stand up picture is negotiating traffic leaving the International Airport in a Geo Metro... Second pix is 10pm at 70mph returning from a weekend in Iowa...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zeus_Co_Pilot.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	101135   Click image for larger version

Name:	kaat.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	101136  

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote