Old 04-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Agoura Hills , California
Your roofrack story brought an old adventure to mind:

We were driving west on I-94 into NW winds gusting to 45-50. I had my new kevlar 16 foot canoe on the roof. I noticed the bow was pointing off to the left. I stopped and checked the canoe, it was straight on the rack, the wind was bending the boat! I had some climbing web with me and I wrapped it around the thwart and then around the doorposts and off we went. All of a sudden the canoe flew off the roof and is right outside my window banging on the left side of my car. The wind was so strong it snapped the fasteners that held the thwart and allowed the canoe to flip off the roof and onto the other side of the car. If I hadn't put webbing on both sides of the canoe, I wouldn't have seen it again! I ended up with a broken left mirror and a few dings and scrapes on the car and a quick rebulld job on the canoe. BTW, it was almost immpossible to get the canoe back on the rack in the wind, I drove to an over pass and ducked out of the wind to get it done!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:02 AM   #30
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
You prob'ly already thought of this, but here goes anyway....

You may be able to open the front center window on the 'Stream, remove the interior screen and slide the kayak inside the camper if it just becomes too dangerous on top of the truck. I'm not a "kayak-er", so I don't really have a good idea of the dimensions of the thing, but that might work for you. When we bought our '73, the awning had been removed from the mounting arms, so we had to slide it in the front window to get it home.

If you need anything in the Atlanta area, let us know via PM or here. Safe travels.

SFC Susan & CWO Jim.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #31
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Things are much different with normal winds. There were many news stories about Hurricane Winds through the upper west. Reno was also in the news with 100 mph gusts. We made it through MO and we are licking out wounds a bit. We have been in the AS for two weeks, one in the driveway, one week on the road. We got more than half of the trip done, we can stop and breathe. Thanks to all those who followed along.

John

Here is my wife's note.

We are sitting in an RV park in Eureka MO, about 3 miles from six flags. Weather was good today. We put in about 400 miles today without events. Hondo slept most of the day. Every evening he emerges and discovers the dash board. He is usually pretty cranky in the evening and will challenge you with all teeth and claws. Tonight we followed the GPS to the RV park along the "fastest" route. It turns out that it took us hill and dale over and under some of the narrowest windiest back roads that were never meant to see an RV. At one of the hairiest turns, a serpentine steep down hill HOndo vaulted onto the dash board and ran over to the driver's side. John could barely see. As I tried to grab for him he became a savage beast. There was a real brawl brewing. The danger was that John might have been involved and crash the vehicle. We opted to finish the decent with John straining to see over the wild beast.
After we were in safer road conditions, I grabbed him with a very thick towel and threw him into the back. He protested and then gave up, climbing back into his kennel. I think we need not encourage dash board riding in the future.

He is pretty exhausted. When we stop for the night he eats, plays with a cap nip toy, cries until we open the bathroom door and fill up the sink for a long before drink of water and then beats us to bed. He snuggles into the down quilt for the first few hours. Today we couldn't find him. We looked everywhere and discovered his newest favorite spot in the AS. He picked my clean clothes basket u;under the bed to sleep in. Of course he walked right past the dirty clothes basket. What a cat. He has such standards.

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Howdy John and Allison,

So far, your trip sounds like big fun (well, mostly). Wish they gave you more time on a set of PCS orders.

You probably already know this but almost all military bases have an RV park (Or "FamCamp"). Usually very inexpensive and you can load up at the Commissary.
A good resource is:

U.S. ArmyMWR - Paths Across America

After you are settled into your new post, you'll have a whole new region to explore and no better way to do it than with your Airstream...

Safe Travels,

mike
Old 05-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #33
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
John and Allison, where are you? Strong storms coming through Tennessee and Kentucky. Be careful out there!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #34
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Same here in Ga and the Carolinas over the next couple of days. Big winds right now followed by big storms overnight.

Be safe.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #35
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
I sign in tomorrow and will see what brave new worlds I encounter. We are in my sister's driveway in Columbia, SC. The have been very nice, only tripped their circut breaker once, every light and AC on at the same time. The tried to use an appliance their house and the breaker blew.

Fortunately, I was able to dial down the amps and the cat continued to enjoy cool air on a 90 degree day. So far so good. Looking forward to heading to the coast for a weekend.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #36
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Sounds like you had a successful trip. We're making a simiiar trip in 2 months, except we are headed to California. Good luck in SC.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote