Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Home Monitoring and Surveillance via internet while away

Could not find this subject in forums. If it already exists, please point me to it. Thanks

I would really like to monitor things back home, via the internet, while we are away. A lot of solutions exist on the internet, but they are not as plug and play as I would like. I know camera's are pretty easy to setup and get online, but not sure about my other concerns. I was kind of hoping I could by a widget that connects to my router to provide a website displaying all the data being input by wireless sensors and cameras. Email triggering limits of coarse. What I want to monitor are:

1) Camera's
2) Home inside temperature
3) Home water, gas, and electric usage after the meter.
4) Capability to remotely sequence lights on and off.
5) Web page to view everything whenever i want.

Just curious if anyone else out there does this sort of thing during extended trips. All suggestions welcome.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
AlarmForce has the videorelay system.

AlarmForce VideoRelay - YouTube#!

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
My mom has had home invasion issues in another state. Intruders know to go after DVRs hidden in crawl spaces or the attic. Online video storage is the way to go IMO.

A set of sources I found when I researched this for her (she didn't use it sadly):

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Have you talked to any of the home security companies to see if they offer anything that might do the job?

We eat at a restaurant in Pismo Beach that offers free internet access. However, sometimes it does not work. We asked about it and were told that their system also lets the owner moniter what is going on at the restaurant when they are at home. During that time, customers have no internet access.

Interesting.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sometimes simple is best. I have the Oliver system at home. A very nice (and young for his age of 82 years) neighbor who watches the house while I am away. And I for him. He knows EVERYTHING that goes on in the neighborhood.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Sky: As far as I know what you want does not exist as a package. Even internet camera monitoring is somewhat complex, although newer "cloud" camera packages are making their way into the market. Expect to pay $200 to $300 for each one.

A camera looking at a digital thermometer with remote input can work for temperatures.

Energy monitoring becomes another layer of complexity. Why is it necessary for you?

I know of single outlet web light control, but not of multiple locations. Timers are inexpensive and work fairly well.

A web page to view it all... lots of luck.

I do like my remote web cams when I am away.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Home Monitoring

We also plan to be away for extended trips. Comcast Xfinity has a pretty robust Internet-based home monitoring capability that provides intrusion alerts, video monitoring, temp and light control. I've been looking into it.

It's not cheap, both in terms of initial set up costs and monthly charges; but it looks pretty good and runs client aps on smartphones and tablets.

It may or may not be available in your area. Check out their website.

I think ADT has a similar offering.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Rocky Mount , Virginia
Wireless Home Security Systems | Frontpoint Security
dboehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
I may be missing something. If I am, please correct me. But. It seems that all a stand alone Internet home security system would do is allow me to watch intruders making off with my stuff.

Don't you also want a monitoring service that could call local police if needed? I don't want to have to monitor my home remotely 24/7; I'd rather pay someone to do that like a Brinks, ADT, etc.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post
I may be missing something. If I am, please correct me. But. It seems that all a stand alone Internet home security system would do is allow me to watch intruders making off with my stuff.

Don't you also want a monitoring service that could call local police if needed? I don't want to have to monitor my home remotely 24/7; I'd rather pay someone to do that like a Brinks, ADT, etc.
I use my cameras to look at temps at home, to see how much snow there is, to see if anyone has been in the driveway and just generally feel connected. If I think anything looks wrong, I can contact a neighbor.

It is not real security I look for, but things like.. is there a flood in the kitchen....lol.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
There is a company called Redwire Securities in Tallahassee FL. They do all kinds of unique security stuff...not sure they do all that you want or that they are in your area. Just heard of them recently. Phone calls always worth a try.
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Energy monitoring becomes another layer of complexity. Why is it necessary for you?
Well, I guess electric usage would not help a lot, but gas and water could imply line breaks, especially in very cold weather. Now that I have had some time to research whats out there, it appears camera systems are about the only thing "affordable".

Since monitoring inputs can tell you a lot about what is going on inside anything, I naively thought perhaps you could buy these sensors in some sort of home monitoring package. WRONG. Back to earth now.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
For what it is worth, if your electric company has electronic meters for remote readout, often they have a web site that you can go to to look at your energy use, even on a daily basis.

I would not leave my water on when away, too many horror stories of what can happen if a break occurs. If gone for more than a couple of days, mine is shut off. My comment about a camera looking at a "flood in the kitchen" in my post #10 above is really not right, as the water is off when I leave for a while. If you have a gas line break, you probably will not have your internet at home working anyway, as it has gone "kaboom"... sorry, could not resist that.

Again, I find a camera to look at things, including a digital thermometer for seeing what the temperature is inside (in the winter) is all I really need. It took a while to build a system which re boots automatically when the power fails and comes back on, but in general, my camera system has been fairly good.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Sky had the right idea but more than what I need.
3 yrs later and time to see what's new on the homefront for security monitoring at a distance.
My wants: video monitor of home in and out, would like to know it is secure, grass isn't tall enough to warrant anybody complaining of lack of attention, nothing laying around driveway to say nobody's home or been there for x number of days.
Found most people have a problem of yard maintenance guys showing up on their schedule or when they need to bill and not when it has to be done.
Almost everytime we have been away for extended periods we have come back to find: telephone books, unsubscribed newspapers, and messages hooked on the door knob or stuck in door that we missed the Jehovah's last visit.
I would like a monitoring system of multiple cameras that I can go to online and spot a problem so that I can call the right person to take care of it.

Is it possible?
I did the search function and this original post seemed best way to contact people already looking or those that have found solutions to my problem.
Thanks in advance to those that can point me in the right direction.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

AT&T Digital life Security System! I can monitor all that you indicated and more...on my iPad or iPhone, on AT&T cell service. I changed from ADT...(low tech), so glad I did. AT&T is very superior, high tech equipment, and priced reasonable.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
home security

I bought a d-link live video monitor from best buy about 5 months ago, and it's working well so far. I have a thermometer in front of it showing inside temp. I can remotely rotate and tilt it, and have mounted it in a place where it can see both the front door and the back door with a simple rotate command. The app works well on my laptop PC, my iPad, and my android phone. It automatically resets whenever there is a power outage, as does my wifi, so at least so far, it seems to fill the need.
But as noted earlier, having a neighbor watching the place is good too.

EDIT: also, once you have bought this, there is no additional subscription service fee to run it thru their servers on the net. You simply create an account with them, and log in thru their portal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Sky had the right idea but more than what I need.
3 yrs later and time to see what's new on the homefront for security monitoring at a distance.
My wants: video monitor of home in and out, would like to know it is secure, grass isn't tall enough to warrant anybody complaining of lack of attention, nothing laying around driveway to say nobody's home or been there for x number of days.
Found most people have a problem of yard maintenance guys showing up on their schedule or when they need to bill and not when it has to be done.
Almost everytime we have been away for extended periods we have come back to find: telephone books, unsubscribed newspapers, and messages hooked on the door knob or stuck in door that we missed the Jehovah's last visit.
I would like a monitoring system of multiple cameras that I can go to online and spot a problem so that I can call the right person to take care of it.

Is it possible?
I did the search function and this original post seemed best way to contact people already looking or those that have found solutions to my problem.
Thanks in advance to those that can point me in the right direction.

....this according to a "slow-moving" poster here on the forum.... ( thanks )
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #17

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Bought a Q-See system from Costco online. 1080p, 3mp cameras, records, no monthly, can view from my I-phone. Downside is self install and have to run cat5 wire from dvr to each camera if your not handy. Good support from Q-See on setup.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
As for thermostat we use a WFI connected thermostat (Honeywell). I can set both a low and high setting and if the temp goes past either of those settings it will send me a push notification on my phone. It's a very good system and will tell me if the temp in my house changes greatly either up or down. Also I can log into it at anytime and adjust the heat, create or change a schedule, turn my air on or off and see what the current temp is. Finally it will even send me a note if it looses communication with the net. Also it will send me a second note when communication is restored....

On the camera front. We use camera system called IZON. They work well and have the ability to sense motion (and or) noise. You can log into the cameras at anytime and view (live) what is going on in your home. These cameras are wireless and only need power and a WFI network to operate. In our case we use these cameras in several locations in our home and even have a couple looking out windows to detect movement in our yard and driveway. More important if a camera detects motion/noise it will begin recording and send me a notification on my phone that it just recorded an event. I can then log into the IZON website and review the event the camera recorded. At that point I can decide if I wish to call the police or it it just the lady from next door checking the house and watering the plants......

Neither the camera system or thermostat require any type of monthly fee. Its a one time cost to buy the hardware and after that you just need to maintain a live WIFI connection.

Hope this info helps.....

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I bought a Nest cam which senses motion and sound. When I am at home, I keep it in the AS. When away I simply move it into the house for monitoring. Since I already had a Nest thermostat, and "Protect" smoke alarm, I now have total monitoring with one app and there are no subscription fees, unless I wanted history video for the camera. After the free trial, I don't see the need for history for $100/year.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I bought a Nest cam which senses motion and sound. When I am at home, I keep it in the AS. When away I simply move it into the house for monitoring. Since I already had a Nest thermostat, and "Protect" smoke alarm, I now have total monitoring with one app and there are no subscription fees, unless I wanted history video for the camera. After the free trial, I don't see the need for history for $100/year.
Hi Rich:

I have heard really good things about the nest camera and I already know their thermostat's a great. I was under the impression that you needed to buy a service from them for the camera to operate. Is this not correct?
Also will it send you a push notification or email if it detects motion?

Thanks

Doug