Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Holiday trip from Colorado to Louisiana and back!

Hello to all. Well we are back from a two week holiday excursion from Colorado to New Orleans, LA and back! We traveled well over 1,500 miles each way. Our lovely A/S is a dream to tow and to live in while traveling– we just love her. I wanted to share with you a few of the RV parks that we stayed in and to get your feedback on a few problems we experienced.

Kansas:
The first night we traveled from Loveland, Co to Colby, Kansas. It was our intent to stay in Oakley Kansas, but did not leave as early as we hoped. The RV Park in Colby was not the best. By the way all of the KOAs in Kansas were closed for the winter. On our return trip we stayed at the High Plains RV Park in Oakley, KS, which was very nice. Cost - $20.00 with Good Sam discount. The shower and restroom facilities were excellent and they also had a very nice store and laundry. We arrived there in 20 degree weather, which only got worse. We woke up to 11 degrees, one inch of snow on the ground and snow flakes in the air. We thought later what a wonderful picture that would have made, but I guess we were too cold and worried at the time. We were not sure that we were going to make it home. We waited around until late morning, spoke with some very friendly truckers and decided that we would give it a try. The roads to Loveland thru Denver were clear. Thank goodness! The furnace worked great – good thing! We were snug in our bed like bugs in a rug. One thing I can say about Kansas is that they have a lot of wonderful rest areas and plenty of RV parks.

Texas:
The night before our coldest night and snow fall we stayed in Gainesville, TX at their Outlet Mall. We had no idea about this place, but were lucky enough to have a Woodall’s book with us since it took us a heck of a lot longer time than expected to travel thru Dallas. What a nightmare – heavy traffic, road construction and breakdowns – plus it was a Friday. I don’t like driving thru Dallas one bit – just no convenient way to go around.

This Outlet Mall has 25 full hookup sites on the mall lot and cost $17.00 a night. The weather was balmy, in the 70s. We had no idea what we were heading into. As we traveled from Gainesville, TX thru Oklahoma into Kansas we watched the temperature fall from the 70s to below freezing. We had to stop and winterize the A/S at a Wall Mart parking lot in McPherson, Kansas before moving on. One poor guy came up to us and wanted to chat about the A/S, which we did for a few minutes, but it was so cold and the wind was blowing so hard that we jsut had to cut our conversation short. Texas has very few rest areas (at least the areas that we have traveled thru heading to LA.)

Oklahoma:
On our trip south we stayed at the KOA in Ardmore, OK, which is just north of the Dallas area. The owner was very friendly and the facility was great. We would stay there again. Cost-$18.00 a night.

Mississippi:
We stayed four nights at a placed called Minosa Landing in Columbia, MS. This place was wonderful - heavily treed right on the Pearl River. The facilities were terrific. They have a four star rating on their restrooms and showers; a full kitchen, laundry and pavilion - cost $18.00 a night. We were out one day visiting family and came back to the site to see that another A/S had arrived! We also stayed two nights in Purvis, MS at a brother’s house on his 200 acre farm, which was just beautiful! Cost-free he he.

Louisiana:
No RV parks to report on, because we stayed at a family member’s house with make shift hookups that worked out just fine. We ate boiled crabs, crawfish and shrimp until we popped– WOW what a wonderful few days.

We saw two A/S in Harahan, Louisiana near where we were staying – one new and one poor oldie that needed attention and love. We pasted two A/S on the road.

Problems to report:
We did have three problems that I would like to share and hopefully receive feedback on.

(1) While driving thru one of the heaviest rain storms that we have encountered in a very long time we noticed after we had setup that the carpet near the door was wet. We figured that rain might have gotten in thru the furnace exhaust vent. The rain was really coming down as we drove from Purvis to Columbia. Anyone else have this problem?
(2) We had to finally stop and remove one of the rock guards, because it was vibrating loose – broke one of the fasteners at the bottom and two of the lower screws. Both rock guards caused scarring to the A/S from rubbing on the body just above the top edge of the rock guards.
(3) The indicator gage on the black tank seemed to register incorrectly. Once dumped and totally flushed it registered ¾ full. We need to study how these indicators work.

These are the only problems that we have had with our A/S, which are minor. We are concerned however about the rock guard and wonder if we should just take them off.

Airstreams are the best!!
What a lovely holiday vacation we had in our Airstream!
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have a 2003 Classic. My black tank indicator does just as yours does ... stays indicating a high level after dumping. I found that it corrects itself after it dries out a bit.

I'm surprised at the problem with the rock guards. Mine have been fine on both of my trailers. Mine are well away from the body. Something is badly wrong with yours if they touch the body.

I have towed in very heavy rain with no detected leakage.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
I have a 1999 Classic Limited. The rock guards on it experienced similar problems: the rivets attaching the guard to the hinge were pulling out. This past summer we visited the factory, where the service center re-riveted them and added another attachment point to the coach. No movement now.

The black and gray tank indicators have been a constant failure. Have tried several different cleaners, without much success. I always use the internal tank flusher on the black tank when I dump, but they still don't work very well.

I haven't seen any leakage during rain.
linc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:10 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My black water tank indicator on my 2001 Safari was equally useless. The only time it was correct was the first campout in the spring when everything starts out dry. I never had one that worked on any trailer I have owned. I'm excited to see if the new sensors on the 2004 trailers have finally overcome this problem. My solution, use the eyeball method and look through the bowl as you flush. It always worked for me.

The door issue sounds like an alignment problem. My guess is you are not getting a good seal on the lower side. Most likely on the bottom latch side of the door. You usually can check this out at night, either from outside with the trailer lit inside or during daylight with the trailer darkened inside. Look for light leakage at the bottom of the door. I know my Safari had a small point where you could see daylight, although it did not leak water.

One more thought is to make sure your stove hood vent is latched down closed when traveling. I remember being camped in a torrential rain storm with the wind blowing against the curb side of the trailer and water entering through that vent that was unsecured at the time.

Regarding your rock guards we have heard a few reports of the hinge pins sometimes working their way out. I tend to check these closely when traveling, especially when we take gas or rest stop breaks. I do the walk around checking tires, wheel and axle temps, hitch components prior to pulling back on the road.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 12:59 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My '03 with the old system never failed me. I would however fill and flush the tank several times once I got home to make sure it was very cleaned out.

The new tank systems are suppose to be darn near right on. The sensors are totally different. So far I can't say either way since she's just parked in the cold tundra driveway now dreamin of springtime streamin'
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Eric,

I noticed that you don't catch rubber in 4th gear !!!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 03:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Eric,

I too noticed your lack of power in 4th!

Time to add a blower to that SS!

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:35 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's the gears....pesky things......I need better slicks!

See what happens when you go to 3.73s!

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 06:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Hope you had a trailer full of extra tires while traveling through Louisiana as they have the worst highway system in the nation
(I-10) , coming back from Alabama developed a big bubble in front tire and thier highways have been this way since going back and forth to Mississippi since the 60's. Think they would do something about it by now ? Hope you enjoyed your trip.... just had to put in my 2 cents about that damn highway...lol
TexasStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:50 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

I'll agee that Lousiana 1-10 is horrible. I had to get my teeth fillings re set after my last trip to New Orleans.
wildcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote