Old 12-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #15
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
How would using a Sewer Solution change things?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer
A link to my 5th post - beware plastic shrinking from cold water rinses!

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ing-23459.html
Great story Wabbiteer and Murphy was luckily looking the other way. I'll add the cold water precautions to my procedures. Will probably experience this first hand as we are planning to do the Alaska Highway in 2008.

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
How would using a Sewer Solution change things?
Bob,

I don't understand your question. Can you elaborate?

Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Exclamation Sewer Hose Recommendations

One thing I learned from my first experience is to have nothing less than an 18mil thick hose. Anything less than 18mil is prone to leaks and as I discovered, is hard to attach to fittings.

In our starter kit, we were given a 10mil hose and two black trailer fittings (angled and straight) with hose clamps. On my 23' Airstream, the straight fitting worked best. I was able to attach that to the 10mil hose, but I couldn't get it to attach to the Camco Easy Slip sewer fitting a friend had given me, so I just stuck it down the pipe. After dumping both tanks, I noticed the hose had sprung a leak at about the middle of the run, so it went in the garbage after it was empty and rinsed.

The 18mil hose (BTW: this was advice provided by another RV owner at Camping World) has a weighty feel to it and attached nicely to the trailer and sewer fitting. You can find 10, 12, 15, 18, 20 and 25 mil hoses. His recommendation was 18mil minimum and 20 or 25 if you're full timing. Hoses come in 10', 15' and 20' lengths. Connectors are available to connect two together if needed, although he didn't recommend connecting two hoses together as the connection, in his opinion, is always prone to leaks. I purchased a 10' 18mil hose, which was more than enough for our first campsite. Hopefully, I won't come up short one day.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Interesting how many "seasoned" RVers I've met over the years that do not use any chemicals nor have any odor problems. It's an art, not a science.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Interesting how many "seasoned" RVers I've met over the years that do not use any chemicals nor have any odor problems. It's an art, not a science.
I suspect some of these arteest of poop are under the impression their sheet don't stink.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Probably true Maurice. If you tell yourself something enough times, you start to believe it!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #22
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
One last peice of advice from anothe relative newbe: After flushing the black tank (ours only has a black tank) be sure to CLOSE the valve prior to putting the cover on. You had to ask! - I didn't and when I removed the cover, the next time, it took a second or two (seem more like a minute or two) to slam it shut. I don't think I have to describe the results of one or two second delay!!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
You might want to think about something to lay that sewer hose on. We stopped at an RV park that had new brushed concrete slabs to park on. As I pulled the drain hose across the concrete slab to hook up, (had to use my 20 footer there) a thousand tiny holes developed, to be discovered later at the first dump. We now use a sewer hose support, a good idea in all hookups.

Good luck,
John
Old 12-19-2006, 11:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
John,
Good advice but remember there are many different ply hoses available and the first thing I would do is ditch the one that your dealer supplied you with. There is no excuse for a hose developing holes from dragging it across concrete...brushed, smoothed or otherwise.
Laying a protector down is not the answer when any dealer can supply you with a higher grade hose. Supports are great, don't get me wrong but I have dragged my hose all over setting silly supports up and never a leak.
Those supports do nothing functionally in most situations except make you look tidy. If they direct flow, understandable.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Islip , New York
Does anyone use the sewer soluation. I used it with my Casita and liked it. I plan on using it with my new airstream. It was cleaner and easy to use. Rob
Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Islip , New York
it is just a garden hose size with a pressure emulzafier on it no mess. I never even used gloves.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have switched to the Sewer Solution and been very happy with the results. Our tanks are relatively small which may have something to do with being satisfied. On other threads, those with larger tanks have not always been happy with how long it takes the Sewer Solution to empty a tank. We have modified ours so that it is possible to have a positive backflush. That has been very handy and we no longer use our FlushKing.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use a sewer hose support system not to look neat but to help gravity with the flow from high to low ... When walking through a campground with sewer hookups I am continually amazed by the sewer hoses I see hooked up to the RV...running along the ground, and then upward to reach the dump hole...in effect requiring s*** to run uphill. It just ain't gonna happen and if one thinks it will, one is in for a surprise when it backs up or gets blocked! The $15 or so that the support systems cost is so worth it. (Then there are the makeshift supports made with rocks and sticks and pieces of firewood. Makes me smile.)

When dumping at a dump station, however, we have never had need for the support system because the "hole" is most usually lower than the outlet on the AS.

TB

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote