Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Surf City , New Jersey
full time

Wife and I started full timing when we sold the home in Dec. 2016 19ft flying cloud. Pack the dishes real carefully. Heavy items down low Buy 4 or 5 small thin carpets for the floor. Also under table leg. Easy on the feet and also to clean. Leave shoes outside. Buy a pickup truck and a cap for it. The cap is for the wife's stuff!. Put a receiver on the front also. You can put the Thule bike rack on front then. Use lots of plastic see thru bins for the pickup for your stuff Get a gun. Keep the wife. Get rid of the dog. (Yeah I know "it doesn't shed") Ditch the std bed cover. Put down a regular square looking thin quilt to lay on and get another to use on top of you. Easy to fold and care for. (anyone try making that bed with sheets? Might a well take it outside) Take only 10 % of your stuff you think you need. Then throw out 90% of that! When parked put a small rug on the outside step as well. Buy a good outside screen porch. I like the CLAM. Sets up in less than a minute by one person. Do most of the cooking on a coleman stove outside the unit. Keeps smells out and kitchen clean. Use the shower area for storage.
weber.roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Missoula , Montana
Thanks for the great advise! We put a topper on our Toyota Tacoma which my husband says is his garage now! Looked at the CLAM but will have to wait a few months while I recoop from all of the other things that my hubby David has been adding to the list of "must haves"! Do you have pics of your set up?
wando1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Missoula , Montana
Told you I would have more questions!

I know a lot of you have turned your showers into storage which is what we have been planning. What I want to do is hang a pole or rod in there to hang up things like rain coats, shirts, etch. Bought a pressure pole and can't make it work because of the sloping of the walls.

Since hubby David is still cogitating...he does that...I thought maybe someone here has already done it! I am also turning the current closet into storage with shelves which I found a couple here on the forum that have done it so got some good ideas from that...but will take any others that anyone has to share. I plan to make that area more of a pantry style area. We did put a topper on our Toyota Tacoma and hubby has claimed the area as his new "garage"! I have a nice heavy duty tub for the heavier pots and pans, etc and it will stay in his "garage"! He is not grumbling too much...likes my cooking way too much to complain about a few cooking vessels!

I think our golden retriever, Sailor, knows something is up...walks outside and sniffs the Bambi...raises his leg...well, you know the rest...

Our plan is to still pull out of what is now someone else's driveway and hit the road west on 9/15. Will keep you posted. Actually, it is really a firm plan since movers are coming to help us move our furniture to storage on the 14th!
wando1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
"I know a lot of you have turned your showers into storage which is what we have been planning."

OK, this may be a stupid question, but where do you shower? Do you always stay in campgrounds?
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote