Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yeah, The Keys are the " end of the line" -- a lot of folks just end up there with no visible means of support. Petty property crime happens, it just does. But violent crime is pretty rare. Secure your stuff and you will be fine.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
The Keys did suffer damage, but most everything is back up and running. If Cudjoe is your base, you are very near where most damage occurred. In addition to other posts, you might want to go to the No Name Pub on Big Pine and check out the pub and grill on Geiger Key. Rent a bike in Key West. Take the trip to Dry Tortugas by boat or plane. Stop by Robbie’s Marina on Lower Matecumbe. I think the best restaurants are in Key West, but hear good things about the Square Grouper near Cudjoe.
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
Covered RV Storage in Charleston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5ME View Post
The kids will love the Butterfly House on the end of Duval Street. also do the Flagler Railroad Museum. My wife and I love to go to Key West in the summer. Yes it is hot but not any hotter than our home in Charleston, SC. I am retired Navy so I can stay on the base much cheaper than any campground in the islands. Less tourist, easier parking, and simpler to get around. Have a good trip and I am sure you will fall in love with the Keys.
We moved to Charleston in 2015 and are considering getting another Airstream, but I would like to have it in covered storage and have been unable to find a place here. We live in Carolina Bay in West Ashley and the HOA does not permit storage on our lot. Do you know of any such storage areas here?

We had 25 and 31 foot Airstreams when the children were growing up, but eventually sold and bought a place at the coast in NC when trailer became crowded. We sold that place last fall and are considering getting another Airstream.

I appreciate any suggestions you may offer.

Thanks,

RON

252-525-0060
Tennille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Yeah, The Keys are the " end of the line" -- a lot of folks just end up there with no visible means of support. Petty property crime happens, it just does. But violent crime is pretty rare. Secure your stuff and you will be fine.
Correct. We have the same problem here in n fl.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here'd be my list.
John Pennekamp SP in Key Largo. Glass bottom tour.
Key deer in Big Pine Key. Just drive carefully.
Half Shell raw bar at the foot of Caroline st. in Key West for conch fritters.
Hemmingway house, and the 6 toed cats.
Sensets at Mallory Square and the people show.

Two teen girls? I'd be terrified.

Snorkling is great but the reefs are 6 miles offshore. If you can do a boat trip from Marathon or Key West, fun.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennille View Post
We moved to Charleston in 2015
Ron, you may want to use the search feature to find a thread topic / forum better suited to ask this question. You will have much better luck finding an answer.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Good laugh on the two teen girls comment. May also want to get a few Jimmy Buffet cd's, a lawn chair to set under a palm tree at the waters edge and a cooler of beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Here'd be my list.
John Pennekamp SP in Key Largo. Glass bottom tour.
Key deer in Big Pine Key. Just drive carefully.
Half Shell raw bar at the foot of Caroline st. in Key West for conch fritters.
Hemmingway house, and the 6 toed cats.
Sensets at Mallory Square and the people show.

Two teen girls? I'd be terrified.

Snorkling is great but the reefs are 6 miles offshore. If you can do a boat trip from Marathon or Key West, fun.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
Mollysdad gave great advice. Walk the old 7 mile bridge out to pigeon key, or bicycle to it. Do the glass bottom boat at pennekamp. If you can afford it, go to the dry tortugas. Great boat ride, beautiful snorkeling. Butterfly museum on key west, conch train tour in key West. Carolines on Duval st. Bahia Honda for the beach and the train trestle photos. Kayak if you can, bike in Key West. Remember it is just a town on a rock, but it is a pretty neat town, even though it has changed in the last 30 years. Have fun, BE A TOURIST! everyone else is. Enjoy the drive and make some great memories. It will be glorious rv weather!
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Walk the old 7 mile bridge out to pigeon key, or bicycle to it.
Pigeon Key is closed for rehab on the bridge, and after the hurricane, it's closed for rehab on all the buildings on it. :-(

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
This thread has me thinking about heading to the Keys, but not until next year. Does anyone have suggestions for nice campgrounds there.

Years ago we used to camp at Sunshine Key, but I heard the owners are not keeping up with the repairs and needed changes. It was also pretty tight for RV's. Luckily we camped and put a tent right next to the water.

Any advice for my wife and I would be welcome.
A more natural setting and quiet at night are two things we hope to find.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotTyers View Post
Placing 31 foot on a spot on water. Have 3 girls with me age 16 15 and 8. What should we do?
Wondering how the trip worked out?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
1977 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
We had a great time. I found a place where we could stay "on the water" tuned out to be the end of the canal and my rear bath 77' had a great view of the water! that didn't matter because we where out taking it easy and going with the flow. All your suggestions where really helpful. We did a few thinks in Keywest and then also saw key dear. Additionally we just chilled at the resort and caught the Super bowl at a local restaurant called Boondocks. All it all it was a great time and low key (no pun intended!). I'd say that it was really sad so see what has happened after the storm and talking to locals was really heart breaking. I'm grateful I had this time with the kids down there and they will remember it for ever but I'm not sure I will go back any time soon. It's not that it was bad just that we did see what we wanted and there is so much more to see! That marked our first trip as a family in the 77' and the kids are hooked. So many people ask questions about the AS. thank you to all for your ideas and thoughts. //onward
PilotTyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the great report, glad it worked out so well!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Sounds like you experienced what you hoped for. Great write up, thanks.
Hope to head down next year.