Old 12-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #29
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have a very steep slope to navigate in order to park my Classic in the Airstream shed. I realized this when it was built. Simple solution are a couple of 2x12's that I cut to the right length. I slide them under the rear wheels at the critical spot and it works fine. When the trailer was brand new (11 months ago), and I did this the first time, we were very careful ... but now it's just a normal routine. I've never bottomed going into a fuel station, but because I use diesel, it's always a recon exercise before I pull in -- just to find the diesel pump can be a chore....but you quickly figure out which stations are configured well for 50 feet plus of trailer/truck and which aren't.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I have a very steep slope to navigate in order to park my Classic in the Airstream shed. I realized this when it was built. Simple solution are a couple of 2x12's that I cut to the right length. I slide them under the rear wheels at the critical spot and it works fine. When the trailer was brand new (11 months ago), and I did this the first time, we were very careful ... but now it's just a normal routine. I've never bottomed going into a fuel station, but because I use diesel, it's always a recon exercise before I pull in -- just to find the diesel pump can be a chore....but you quickly figure out which stations are configured well for 50 feet plus of trailer/truck and which aren't.
I find the fuel stations that are the worst are the ones that have the pumps lined up so you pointing right at the building - and to make ir worse they usually allow car parking in front of the building so sometimes you can get in ok and it looks like you can drive out - but then cars arrive and park in front!

When I first started towing I always tried to avoid those stations like the plague, not that my backing up skills are a bit better I figure that the worst I will have to do is back out from the pump!

If I do have to use pumps configured that way, I also approach the pump from quite a wide angle sometimes maybe close to 45 degrees (rather than lining up parallel to the pump island, and of course that helps a lot when you make your forward ext towards the building and stops you from bringing the last pump with you!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote