Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Trust me, even with the drag bars it's still possible to wrinkle the shell if you miss a narrow driveway edge and drop the rear corner hard. Don't ask me how I found this out.

Bent two segments in one corner (sigh). At least it's not leaking.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Here in the PNW we worry about ferries.

watch the tides, enter at an angle, no problem doing that, and you will be fine.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:23 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Berkshires , MA
Thank you all for your comments. All valuable to a newbie!
mrg1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:41 AM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Bridges

Here is how we negotiate our driveway...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	466.0 KB
ID:	254821  
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:02 AM   #25
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh.. Our little baby snaps 2x12's like small branches. Your "span" should be less than less than 4" before ther is another support at least the width of the top board.

Our "bridge consists of multiple 2x4's which are thru drilled, glued together with the strongest construction adhesive I could buy, then then clamped With "all thread" and fender washers and cured 3 days before use

They are 3 years old and need replacement now.

They also weigh over 80# each... And are 8' long. So a challenge with my injured back,,, just move one end at a time using my arms..

I considered steel, but the weight would be more... Also, wood will usually make noise before it reaches its break point... Sometimes. Steel just bends and is permanently deformed. I am considering a set of casters near the center to help position...

One other thing.. Boards can "kick up" on the light ent and hit your underside... Take care.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Here in the PNW we worry about ferries. We haven't taken Rocinante (27FB) on one yet because we fear the potential to drag her butt when entering or leaving the ferry, on the assumption that the potentially sharp angle between deck and ramp might be problematic, and by the time we realize there's a problem it would be too late to back out.

To be fair, we've no actual experience with this to date - just a concern that makes us avoid them though we'd love to go for it one day. So, this is officially a mostly fact-free opinion that led us to make an uniformed decision.
watch the tides, simple enough to avoid the sharp entry/exit angles. no issues for us on the WA ferries, at least to this point.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Irrigon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Once in a BluMoon we will scrape our rear end....

Do NOT add casters....the frame has provisions for the occasional butt drag.

Bob

Bob what are you showing me here?
FunyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

This is my first post and I don't own an airstream yet with any luck I'll find the perfect air stream this fall. This has been one of my main concerns hitting bottom or worse the hitch assembly hitting bottom when backing into a tight spot. I have been researching and looking at different setups mostly online and a few at RV parks and I like the Pro Pride and Hensley setups. I'm just really concerned that they hang too low and will contact the ground when pulling into or backing into on level areas. Anybody have any experience with this or am I just over thinking the situation too much.
I've been reading this form for the last year and a half learning as much as I can thank you again for being a great resource.
Rich
n9hox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:34 PM   #29
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have a very steep slope to navigate in order to park my Classic in the Airstream shed. I realized this when it was built. Simple solution are a couple of 2x12's that I cut to the right length. I slide them under the rear wheels at the critical spot and it works fine. When the trailer was brand new (11 months ago), and I did this the first time, we were very careful ... but now it's just a normal routine. I've never bottomed going into a fuel station, but because I use diesel, it's always a recon exercise before I pull in -- just to find the diesel pump can be a chore....but you quickly figure out which stations are configured well for 50 feet plus of trailer/truck and which aren't.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I have a very steep slope to navigate in order to park my Classic in the Airstream shed. I realized this when it was built. Simple solution are a couple of 2x12's that I cut to the right length. I slide them under the rear wheels at the critical spot and it works fine. When the trailer was brand new (11 months ago), and I did this the first time, we were very careful ... but now it's just a normal routine. I've never bottomed going into a fuel station, but because I use diesel, it's always a recon exercise before I pull in -- just to find the diesel pump can be a chore....but you quickly figure out which stations are configured well for 50 feet plus of trailer/truck and which aren't.
I find the fuel stations that are the worst are the ones that have the pumps lined up so you pointing right at the building - and to make ir worse they usually allow car parking in front of the building so sometimes you can get in ok and it looks like you can drive out - but then cars arrive and park in front!

When I first started towing I always tried to avoid those stations like the plague, not that my backing up skills are a bit better I figure that the worst I will have to do is back out from the pump!

If I do have to use pumps configured that way, I also approach the pump from quite a wide angle sometimes maybe close to 45 degrees (rather than lining up parallel to the pump island, and of course that helps a lot when you make your forward ext towards the building and stops you from bringing the last pump with you!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote