Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, harrysteven.

Originally Posted by harrysteven View Post

1. How long can you stay hitched after stopping without causing a problem to the tow vehicle or the trailer: a few hours, a day, three days?

You can stay hitched as long as you like; I usually only stay hitched, while traveling, at one night stands. [over nighters]

2. Is there a consensus on this forum about the preferred hitch: Hensley Arrow, ProPride, or Pullrite? (I understand the first two are very similar and work on the same principle.)

These are all great hitches; I'm very happy with the type/brand that I have.

3. How long does it take to hitch and unhitch, once you're experienced at it?

I never timed how long it takes and don't care to; I want it done right with no mistakes. Or, it's done when it's done, and not a moment sooner.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I would add that if you are staying hitched for an extended period, that if possible you don't have too much weight or lift once you level the trailer. Ideally, you'd want the tow vehicle suspension to be back to a neutral spot when the trailer was level. If you leave any spring compressed (or stretched) for long enough, you are going to loose tension.

In the same way, you don't want the back end of your truck lifted off the ground of you need to jack up to get level... that's a lot of load on the jack and coupler...

Lots of good hitches... budget is one factor, your setup will determine what will 'work well' vs. what is 'best'.

I have a backup camera on my truck so that makes it easier for one-person hooking up... but, once you do it a few times you'll get the hang of it. There are various hitching-aids out there... magnetic flags... tongue guides... It's still nice to have a spotter anytime you are going backwards.

Friday is offline   Reply With Quote