Old 10-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
Hitch lift not engaging

In the last day or so, I've had trouble getting the front end (hitch) lift to engage. Flipping the toggle lever up or down at first results in nothing...then gradually it seems to catch and engage the lift motor. It's like the initial contact is not being made. Have to mention that this coincides with the big rains plaguing the east coast this week.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 10-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Could be a bad ground. Make sure the bolts holding the jack to the a-frame are tight and also that the set screws holding the jack head on are tight. It might also be the switch - mine does this occasionally but only in the up position. Whatever it should be covered under warranty.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Possible ground fault or corroded connection somewhere.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I had trouble with the inline fuse, wire taunt under the LP gas cover. Created slack and fixed.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Dutchman Ray

1977 Argosy 28
Lancaster , Pennsylvania
Hitch Lift

Hi there: This is the Sheaffers from Ephrata, PA. Hope all is well w/ all the rain you had. It was terrible in South Carolina. We have a 1977 Argosy Trailer and the hitch lift problem happened to us several times. I put it up TOO far and the fuse blew. So maybe, hopefully, it's just a fuse problem. My name is Sylvia Sheaffer and my parents, Ray and Dorothy Sheaffer are both 88 years old and still going strong. We are ready to "winterize" the trailer today and "unwinterize" it in late December. We are headed to Homestead, FL for the month of January, 2016, and then to Key Largo for the first two weeks of February. We're getting out of this cold weather for awhile. We are staying at The Boardwalk RV Resort and Key Largo Kampground respectively. Good luck w/ the hitch!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Bad switch

I had a similar problem this spring with our new 23FB. The switch worked well for several weeks on an extended trip but began to work intermitentally as you described. Then one rainy day when we were on Newfoundland it stopped entirely. I checked the fuse and it was ok (I did bring a spare slow blow fuse). When I removed the small leveling cover to examine the switch (very easy) I could see it was badly damaged. After searching unsuccessfully for a replacement switch in the very few RV shops available I called the Barker Co in MI and arranged for a switch to be shipped to our next stop in the US at Bar Hatbor, ME. Meanwhile I learned to use the manual crank to raise and low the trailer. It was much easier than I thought it would be because of the gears. I paid about $30 for the replacement switch, though in retrospect it was under warranty and should have been free. Barker was very responsive and the switch was at our stop in Bar Harbor as promised. I took photos of the wiring to be sure I could replace everything correctly. The switch replacement took about 30 minutes. I also purchased a waterproof cover for the switch head and use it whenever weather is wet and while parked.
Suggestions:
1. Always hace a spare slow blow fuse (they are not readily available in my experience)
2. Learn to use the manual hand crank - could also help if your battery is dead
3. Cover the motor and switch during storage and wet weather
4. Photograph the wiring before disassembling it
5. Replace an intermitent switch - they stop entirely at the most inopportune time!
6. Invoke your warranty on the motor
I hope some of this is useful to you. I have learned many helpful tips on these forums (and seen a few really muinfirmed opinions).
D2
Old 10-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
Thanks for the help. I did remove the cover, but couldn't see anything wrong. WestieHouse...when you say the switch was damaged, was that physical damage ? Any idea how it could get damaged. Good tips though....I will follow up with them all....

Bob Toone
Old 10-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I just called Barker, told them my problem, and they are shipping me a new switch free of charge. Might be a known problem to them.....
Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
I am glad you received a prompt and helpful response from Barker, as did I.

The damage was a very fried switch controled by the toggle. The electrical connection of one of the wires (position labeled "1") was melted and clearly was the reason for intermittent connections until it completely detached.
D2
Old 10-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Bellingham , Washington
Electric tongue jack switch

Also had a good experience with Barker, helping me solve the switch problem. One note: Barker also sent me a cover for the switch box...if there's a weakness in the system, it's probably related to moisture entering the box and corroding the switch; the cover should have been "standard equipment" from the start.