Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by labalope View Post
We used to worry about hooking those things up and taking them off Got a Anderson hitch, can be adjusted for weight distribution, no anti sway barsI drive 65-70 with absolutely no sway, labalope

Anderson "No Sway" Weight Distribution Hitch has this note;

NOTE: Currently the Atwood 88007, 88010, 88555 and 88600 couplers are not compatible with the Andersen WD Hitch (all other Atwood couplers are fine).

Mine is a Atwood 88007 Coupler on my 2017 19' international, I also verified with the company and no go without doing some kind of modification so I went with Equilizer. Otherwise I would have wanted the Anderson for its easy to use and light.

So, How do Airstreamers are using it safely ?
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Hitch issue

Our age, the hitch weight, theft issues, skinned shins....what to do? We use a locking linch pin and have a bright red sleeve made which fits over the unit on the tow vehicle when trailer unattached making it padded and visible. Not perfect, but reasonable alternative.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

yes , Georgia
I leave the WD hitch on. I have an 18 inch extension also, and it is greasy.
I put a tennis ball on the ball for a 2 inch ball, so it is bright yellow, and I also tie a bright orange strap to it as caution also so those pesky parking lot drivers will not park into the hitch. I take up a spot and a half.

I use the u-bolt shackles over the square tube so there is no rattle, and this makes taking it off way too much trouble. I have two of these because of the extension.

The hitch is locked on. Coupled with the two anti-rattle things bolted on makes stealing it quite a bit of trouble - Im not worried.

The hitch makes a great step to get into the high truckbed.

I have never shinned it.

We have things to do other than make more work for ourselves taking the rig apart… If you would be worried about it getting stolen off the TV, then worry more if you just leave it lying about not even pinned into something.
silverhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #84
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
I take my equalizer off and store it in a long plastic bin in the bed of my truck. Must admit it's a pain though, and getting heavier every year.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhio View Post
I leave the WD hitch on. I have an 18 inch extension also, and it is greasy.
I put a tennis ball on the ball for a 2 inch ball, so it is bright yellow, and I also tie a bright orange strap to it as caution also so those pesky parking lot drivers will not park into the hitch. I take up a spot and a half.

I use the u-bolt shackles over the square tube so there is no rattle, and this makes taking it off way too much trouble. I have two of these because of the extension.

The hitch is locked on. Coupled with the two anti-rattle things bolted on makes stealing it quite a bit of trouble - Im not worried.

The hitch makes a great step to get into the high truckbed.

I have never shinned it.

We have things to do other than make more work for ourselves taking the rig apart… If you would be worried about it getting stolen off the TV, then worry more if you just leave it lying about not even pinned into something.
Wow, 18" extension?! Do you tow with that extension on? Sway??
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Alexandria , Virginia
Possible solution.Replace hitch pin clip with a locking clip pin. See Amazon they have quite a collection.
Ron1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #87

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Grovetown , I
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Hi all,

When you are On The Road, as you stop here and there, do you remove your hitch and store it until it is time to go? We have an equalizer hitch which is a lot of steel. Some guys at the dealership when we picked up the trailer cautioned us to remove the hitch when not traveling as it was a target for scrap metal hunters. Another reason to remove it is to save your knees from bumping into it...

If you remove it, how do you store it?

Thanks,

Steve
I encourage people to remove their hitches when not in use, even if they are simple ball hitches. The things are essentially battering rams that override the collision protection of modern bumpers. I have been backed into by those things on two occasions. They made what should have been simple fender benders into major collisions.
Ignatios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #88
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Rockwall , Texas
Really like that. Easy to weld up
SeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #89
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Rockwall , Texas
I remove my hitch and lock it up with cable. Don’t like anything hanging off my TV. Like the idea of welding up a storage for bars and hitch. I’ll do that and post pics
SeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #90
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Greenville , South Carolina
Save your knees, remove the hitch.

We always remove the hitch and store in our storage bin or the back of our TV.(our TV is a pickup with a lockable bed cover).
Carthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Hitch Head Holder
Got tired of hauling the 60lb. hitch head to the back storage and getting it back out. So had a welder friend weld a spare receiver to the frame. Makes it easy to store when parked without the heavy lifting. Storing it upside down easily clears the ground. I also put a cut bottom half of a 16.9oz. coke bottle over the greasy ball. Keyed lock inserted. Will paint over the primer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1611.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	334902  
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #92
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Silverbee,

Would you consider taking a look at your hitch ball nut lock-washer? From that one image it looks like it has a bit of a gap at the end of the lock. Maybe try slipping a dollar bill between hitch and washer or washer and nut as a down and simple quick check. If it slides in, hitch ball nut is loose. Also one hitch head bolt doesn't have a washer under the head.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:14 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we do not remove it. buy a locking hitch pin. buy a yellow rubber ball cap, or put a flag on it or even a tennis ball so it is more obvious to people. if we are going to be in one place for a while we will usually remove it. we place it in a rubbermade tub in the back of the TV or the garage at home.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Silverbee,

Would you consider taking a look at your hitch ball nut lock-washer? From that one image it looks like it has a bit of a gap at the end of the lock. Maybe try slipping a dollar bill between hitch and washer or washer and nut as a down and simple quick check. If it slides in, hitch ball nut is loose. Also one hitch head bolt doesn't have a washer under the head.

Gary
Gary-Thanks for checking me on this. The square, grooved lock washer is on each side of the bolt/nut. The other bolt has the lock washer on the nut side, not the visible bolt head side. On the hitch ball washer, a dollar bill will slide in. I will make sure to tighten it down some more before the next trip.
Tom
Old 03-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #95
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Tom,

Thank you.

First for not being PO’d by someone looking at a pic and making observations from afar.

And second for checking with a dollar bill.

That may not be the gold standard but I’ve found a lot of loose hitch ball nuts that way.

Also as that lock washer looks like it’s been removed previously and spread out might be time to get a new lock washer at least.

And we spent several days last month in NC make a triangle from Fayetteville to Kinston to Raleigh and we might have driven through it. And Kinston don’t seem to be as forlorn as its famous chef makes it sound like.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Not at all Gary-I appreciate it. We have been together lots at Alumalina. I will put on a new washer. And yes, lots of changes in the NC landscape over the years. Not a lot of country left in Fuquay.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
The photos below (taken at night as I prepared this response while camped in Las Vegas) show how I store and lock my Equilizer hitch to the cup while camped. The WD bars are not locked, but don’t appear readily accessible. I think this is the approach mentioned above by both Steamy1 and JCW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B908B2FD-36AB-4161-A1AE-07EDC907B0B3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	334960   Click image for larger version

Name:	F89A5FEF-0D9A-43A4-9AF8-470904B3184F.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	334961  

WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote