Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Hiking trails and digital maps

I'm heading up to Alabama's Monte Sano State Park soon, and the park has a bunch of trails.

The trial map offered on the park's web site, though, is a bit primitive.

I'm trying to find a map I could download.

Alternatively, I could use AllTrails or another app. Nice, as they GPS you and you trod along, so you know where you are. I have no experience with these, however.

AllTrails looks usable, but ... you have to use the maps "live" if you use the free version. If you pay $30 a year (or $100 lifetime) AllTrials allows you to download the maps, so you are not relying on cell towers to help you out as you move through the woods (which may not be a problem at Monte Sano State Park, since Huntsville is 30 or so miles away).

Anyone have experience with digital trail maps?

Any recommendations?

I know Appalachian Trail hikers swear by the Guthook app, but I believe it has only the AT and maybe one or two other long trails.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Not exactly trail maps, but I really, really love the PocketEarth app, which allows you to download cities, states, etc., and tracks your location in real time whether you have internet service or not.

I mark locations on the map before I go, then taking my phone with me means I always know exactly where I am.

Maggie
Old 10-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I used custom maps an Android app. It is a free download with no ads.

Before you go hiking you add a jpeg picture of the trails into the program (I normally find good readable pictures using Google image search). Then you select three points to match to google maps same locations aligned by you.

The program allows you to zoom in and also vary how transparent you trail map looks on top of the Google map. After the three points are setup you can preview the trail map on top of the Google map to verify you have coordinated those three points. Then you save your new trail map. Go hiking.

After doing ten or so trail I can setup an new trail map in about 5 minutes.
Here is one of a local island:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mapimage.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	325847  
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
We really like Gaia GPS. There is a free version but if you sign up for the paid version you can add multiple maps, download sections for when you are not in cellular range, etc. We like it because you can run it on a phone, tablet, or PC, lay down tracks, see how far you've gone, elevation gain, and save the tracks.

Although we often use it for trail hiking we also use it for boondocking. We load up the Private Lands map and the Public Lands map and then use it for finding out of the way BLM or Corp of Eng parcels that are scattered around,

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
This is great info. Glad I asked!

Gaia GPS ... what does the paid version cost?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
39.99 a year
Old 10-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Classy Roscoe

Look at iHikeGPS. Stand alone application. Download topoquad maps. All the features of waypoints, real-time locations and ability to export lat/lon data and import as well. Print maps as well. Low power consumption. Many other features.
Our version is on Apple device
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Experienced Learner

2000 34' Excella
Somewhere , Earth
Open Street Map

Also a PocketEarth user. While not specifically a Trail Map application, it is based on Open Street Maps which, in my experience, has quite a lot of park and trail info, even internationally. Was surprised to see detail like bike trails, rivers and power lines on the map while travelling in SE Asia.

As Lily&Me mentioned, it has offline maps, can track, save and export your route, and has topographic maps as an option.

However, probably the biggest selling point is being based on Open Street Maps, so you can add your own waypoints to the map. If you find a trail or other point of interest that you want to share with others, you can add it to the OSM map.

One caveat, at the moment it's iOS only...
aswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fox Island , Washington
I've used All Trails for years. I download the trail before I leave WiFi and it shows me where I am on the trail even when out of cell service. I really like knowing the grade of the section of the trail I'm hiking. Used it when we lived back east sparingly, but now that we're hiking the Pacific Northwest it's a tremendous asset. Well worth the money. I set the filters I want for a hike (water, views, length of hike, out-and-back...) and have a list of hundreds of hikes to choose from.
mddogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
Rebuilding my 2008 Safari

2008 20' Safari SE
Tumalo , Oregon
Have You Tried Avenza Maps?

I have used Avenza Maps for a number of years. It is not sophisticated, it simply displays where you are with a dot on nicely detailed maps. Under the covers, the maps are enhanced PDFs. Many maps are free, and those that aren't are a few dollars. It runs on Android, iOS, and browsers, and you license the maps in perpetuity. No subscription required. It runs offline on your phone, so no data package or signal required (except to download the maps.)

The BLM has a number of free maps. You can mark and label and attach photographs to points on the maps. Avenza has gotten me home a number of times as sometimes canyons and buttes begin to look the same when I get tired and ran/rode too far into the wilderness.

Avenza Maps has two maps that include Monte San State Park, one is free. You will have to determine if the pay map has more features you want. See https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/search.html and enter Monte San into the search box.
CCWilson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Avenza Maps ... I have the app, but I could not figure out how to download maps.

The web version looks easier to use.

I didn’t see any free maps for Monte Sano State Park, but I’ll try again. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
AllTrails ... I’m looking at it, but the monthly fees would add up fast, The $100 lifetime charge might be OK, but I’d like to get an idea of how useful the app is before I start spending $$$.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #13

2008 20' Safari SE
Tumalo , Oregon
Ah, I remember the UI was initially confusing on my phone. (It's clearer on the web app.) Click on the "Store" icon in the lower right, then enter "Monte Sano" in the Search box. It should show maps around Huntsville with little map tags. Click on the one near Monte Sano and zom in. See attached screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022-190439_Avenza Maps.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	326004  
Old 10-23-2018, 04:01 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
We find AllTrails to be great. The only downside is you have to remember to download hikes before you lose service. Each has to be loaded individually, I kind of wish they would allow you to download the trails for a given area or park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
AllTrails ... I’m looking at it, but the monthly fees would add up fast, The $100 lifetime charge might be OK, but I’d like to get an idea of how useful the app is before I start spending $$$.
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Using Avenza Maps, I downloaded a map of Monte Sano State Park (cost me $3).

Disappointed in the quality (I had thought the download version would be better).

Essentially unusable as a workable trail map.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Looking at REI's Hiking Project.

Nice app, and free, too.

You can't download the map, though, so still have the problem of out-in-the-boonies usage.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Try this.

http://sorbahuntsville.org/wp/wp-con...Color11x13.pdf

More local maps can be found here.

http://sorbahuntsville.org/trails/

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Thanks, Perry, for the links.

That organization has a collection of maps.

On that site, picked up the Trail Forks app, designed for mountain bikers (I do that, too).

Allows downloads of the trails (for the whole state of Alabama in one fell swoop), and, it appears, you can track yourself on the map while offline.

Can get maps for other states, too.

Now, these are MTB trails. I’m looking to see if it has foot paths, too.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There are also some plug ins for Google Earth that have many of the trails. I know all the trails on Monte Sano. I mountain bike up there as well and hike. Most of the park trails are open to mountain bikes, especially the lower more technical trails. Mountain Mist, sinks trail, keith loop, goat trail are all good mountain bike trails if you are good. If you are not good, stay on the family trail on top. There is also the Huntsville Land Trust that has several trails.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #20

2008 20' Safari SE
Tumalo , Oregon
@WhereStream - I'm disappointed to hear the Avenza map for the area was not adequate. BLM and others did an excellent job on the Avenza maps I use here in Central Oregon. I believe Avenza is basically a middle-man platform provider, so they may not control the quality of what third parties offer for sale. That said, and although it's trivial, you could see if Avenza will refund our purchase price, mainly to communicate your dissatisfaction with their offering.