Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Highway Propane restrictions

The other day we were traveling south on 95 through Baltimore. We were not towing our airstream but an unfortunate soul we saw at the toll plaza was. He was being held up at the booth due to the propane restriction on traveling through the Baltimore tunnels. At that point I'm not sure how they handle it but I suppose they hold traffic and let him turn around and use one of the alternate routes. So I'm merely taking the opportunity to pass along the warning that when traveling with our trailers or RV's we need to pay attention to such restrictions. Baltimore is the ONLY propane restriction that applies to our towing that I'm aware of, are there others ????? Height is not usually a problem for us but I have, on occasion, needed to alter my route. So, beware when traveling. Stay alert and be prepared to alter your route accordingly.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Maryland, Massachussetts, New York, and Texas each have at least one tunnel that has published restrictions on propane. Most of these tunnels allow propane to be carried, but only with the valves turned off. A few, such as the one in Bltimore that you mention, prohibit propane tanks altogether.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Baltimore Tunnel

The CSX tunnel had a catastrophic fire in 2001, but the restriction against propane on in the car/truck tunnel has been around virtually forever. I think there was also a fire in the late 1950's or early 1960's in a tunnel in Baltimore caused by a propane truck explosion. I believe I read an article in Reader's Digest about it when I was a kid.

The entire loop around Baltimore and all approaches to the tunnel are excessively well signed - so I'm amazed that anyone even tries to use it with a camper. I've always taken the beltway since I got my first Airstream in 2005.

Paula
Old 12-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
A propane truck is different than a 30# tank. Much of these restrictions are knee jerk but it is good to know about the restrictions.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
knowledge

I did that route last month. I was stupid enough to belive it meant comercial vehicles only, we stopped and called to find it meant camper/travel trailers as well. To me the sign should read RV's/ travel trailers as a seperate line to avoid the vaugeness/confusion. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Maryland, Massachussetts, New York, and Texas each have at least one tunnel that has published restrictions on propane. Most of these tunnels allow propane to be carried, but only with the valves turned off. A few, such as the one in Bltimore that you mention, prohibit propane tanks altogether.
You missed Virginia and New Jersey, Virginia has the Bay Bridge Tunnel which requires the propane off and in NJ a tunnel on Rt 29 prohibits propane altogether.

Also according to this site 2011 Driving Laws for the US and Canada open propane cylinders are not allowed while traveling on open highways in NJ.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The entire loop around Baltimore and all approaches to the tunnel are excessively well signed - so I'm amazed that anyone even tries to use it with a camper. I've always taken the beltway since I got my first Airstream in 2005.
I've done it with the B190. I saw the "Propane Busters" sign but assumed it was talking about commercial or bulk deliveries - I think it wasn't until someone pointed it out on here that I realized it wasn't just them. Given people get stopped, I wouldn't recommend trying it, of course.

If you're really clever, you could remember that the booths are on the south side of the I-895 tunnels and on the north side of the I-95 tunnels, so by the time they'd tell you about it, you'd already be through...

The west side of the Baltimore Beltway is no tolls, but traffic is much heavier there than the east side. The east side also has the Key Bridge which is sometimes closed due to winds. Getting around Baltimore with a gallon of propane can be fun times sometimes...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Back around the 70s to avoid the $2.50 tunnel toll we just drove the tractor trailer right through the inner harbor. Not a bad ride when you did it around lunch time and lots of pretty girls walking through the city. Even then it beat that terrible beltway. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I seem to recall in the past that the signs were more conspicuous when traveling in the Baltimore area. I'm aware of the restrictions so I hardly pay attention but the other day I don't recall seeing any signs until right on top of the toll plaza. Next time I'll look a bit closer.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
Thanks for the tip as I am heading that way next week.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I seem to recall in the past that the signs were more conspicuous when traveling in the Baltimore area. I'm aware of the restrictions so I hardly pay attention but the other day I don't recall seeing any signs until right on top of the toll plaza. Next time I'll look a bit closer.
Yeah, I didn't want to argue with Foiled, but that's my recollection, too - it's just a small sign here and there with a propane tank and a Ghostbusters symbol over it (what did we call them before Ghostbusters came out?). Here is an example.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Yeah, I didn't want to argue with Foiled, but that's my recollection, too - it's just a small sign here and there with a propane tank and a Ghostbusters symbol over it (what did we call them before Ghostbusters came out?). Here is an example.
It's the international "Do Not" symbol, also called the "No" or "Not Allowed" symbol. Not to be confused with the international "Donut" symbol, which lacks the diagonal line.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Eliset. There are other choices and they are not bad ones. There is the Key bridge that goes off to the east of 95 on the north side of Baltimore and signs are well posted. I think there is a toll on that choice. A little further south but still to the north of Baltimore you can divert off to the west onto 695. ( They are both part of the 695 loop). To the west there are no tolls so that would be my preferred route. Tolls can get pretty hefty towing 2 axle trailers these days. NOW, my choice when traveling south is to go into Penna. and use RTs 78 and 81. So look at your choices and choose. No tolls through PA and onto 81. South on 95 there are tolls in NJ, Del and ( the MD toll is northbound only).

Now Skater, not to be argumentative, but your advice to northbound travelers is dangerous. They can and will still stop you northbound if you make it through and ticket you. You are correct that there is no toll plaza to force a stop but beware Smokey is out there.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
I think I will try the Key Bridge, and pay the $8 toll. We will be staying in Mount Holly NJ the first nite. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
hmm, it might be worth repeating here that if you're passing NYC on your way southward, to avoid I-95 from CT down through Westchester, the Bronx and Manhattan to the George Washington Bridge.

if you go that way, you'll hate yourself for both the roadway and the traffic!

head west across I-287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge instead, and then follow the NYS Thruway to the Garden State Parkway south. try to avoid rush hour on the GSP, as it will often also slow to a crawl through Essex and Union counties.

for a scenic (40 to 50 mph) ride along the Hudson River atop the Palisades cliffs, you can jump off I287 immediately after crossing the TZB and follow US 9W south to Fort Lee, and pick up I95 there instead.

travel safely! ymmv!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
I made the mistake of going thru the Bronx when we went to colonial in may to look at airstreams. It was about an 8 hour trip from Newport, RI. Went the Tappan Zee after we picked up the airstream and had smooth sailing.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Did someone say "donut"???
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
Bruce, you and I met a few years ago when you found someone to take my old Saab off my hands. It was red with about 235k on it. I need to stop by and say hello . My wife and I had a great time at the Octoberfest rally up at lake winnipesaukee with the New England unit. I think we had 22 Airstreams and four were 16 footers.

Mat
Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
hmm, it might be worth repeating here that if you're passing NYC on your way southward, to avoid I-95 from CT down through Westchester, the Bronx and Manhattan to the George Washington Bridge.

if you go that way, you'll hate yourself for both the roadway and the traffic!

head west across I-287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge instead, and then follow the NYS Thruway to the Garden State Parkway south. try to avoid rush hour on the GSP, as it will often also slow to a crawl through Essex and Union counties.

for a scenic (40 to 50 mph) ride along the Hudson River atop the Palisades cliffs, you can jump off I287 immediately after crossing the TZB and follow US 9W south to Fort Lee, and pick up I95 there instead.

travel safely! ymmv!
Well if your going to mention that you should also mention, don't take a trailer on any parkway in NY, it's not legal plus they have 9' high bridges to help enforce it.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #20
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
NY state parkways

you can pull on both the NJ and NY sections of the Palisades Interstate Parkway, which begins at the GWB in NJ, and ends at Bear Mountain Circle in NY.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote