Old 12-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
Is the Chesapeake Bay bridge Tunnel the same with propane restrictions. I took 13 a couple times when I lived in Virginia Beach and liked the ride.

Looks like 2 tanks 45 LP max is ok . 16.00 toll with a one axle trailer.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Springfield , Missouri
Last June my wife and I took the ferry from Galveston Island to the other side, the ferry guard inspected our tanks and told us we had to close them and turn off all pilot lights.

On the ferry, we had several people come up and want to look inside our trailer. We had the same experience as a state park in Kentucky, some people driving through the park stopped at our trailer and told me they had never seen the inside of an Airstream and could they look in ours. I told them no.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
We've towed through the tunnel at Mobile a number of times with the frig operating. Road signs instruct you to turn-off all propane or take an alternate route. There's no toll booths or check points to check you. Have followed follow campers through the tunnel and suspect their frig was also running. In talking to people at local truck stops, all indicated the restriction was out dated and "every body" goes through with propane on. This doesn't make it right legally, but seems to be the local custom. On the other hand, on a recent trip to Washington DC, we spent a night in western Ohio on I-70. In talking to the CG owner, he advised us to either turn off the propane before going through the tunnel in Wheeling, WV or take the by-pass, that they do check some times. To be safe he recommends to his customers they take the by-pass. Seems local truck stops and CG owners may be a source of info for these situations. Still non-compliance with local laws puts the burden on you.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEgger View Post
We've towed through the tunnel at Mobile a number of times with the frig operating.
Anymore, I go around the Mobile tunnel regardless, after nearly being rear-ended on more than one occasion by semis building up speed on the downslope in order to maintain their speed on the upslope. Even when I was already going ten miles over the limit!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Anymore, I go around the Mobile tunnel regardless, after nearly being rear-ended on more than one occasion by semis building up speed on the downslope in order to maintain their speed on the upslope. Even when I was already going ten miles over the limit!
I agree, transit through the tunnel can be an experience at best, white knuckle probably the norm.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
lafayette , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Maryland, Massachussetts, New York, and Texas each have at least one tunnel that has published restrictions on propane. Most of these tunnels allow propane to be carried, but only with the valves turned off. A few, such as the one in Bltimore that you mention, prohibit propane tanks altogether.

What about the Mobile Alabama tunnel??
Old 04-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Not a problem in Mobile -- no restrictions. Been through a dozen times.

Mike

Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote