Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
hmm, it might be worth repeating here that if you're passing NYC on your way southward, to avoid I-95 from CT down through Westchester, the Bronx and Manhattan to the George Washington Bridge.

if you go that way, you'll hate yourself for both the roadway and the traffic!

head west across I-287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge instead, and then follow the NYS Thruway to the Garden State Parkway south. try to avoid rush hour on the GSP, as it will often also slow to a crawl through Essex and Union counties.

for a scenic (40 to 50 mph) ride along the Hudson River atop the Palisades cliffs, you can jump off I287 immediately after crossing the TZB and follow US 9W south to Fort Lee, and pick up I95 there instead.

travel safely! ymmv!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
I made the mistake of going thru the Bronx when we went to colonial in may to look at airstreams. It was about an 8 hour trip from Newport, RI. Went the Tappan Zee after we picked up the airstream and had smooth sailing.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Did someone say "donut"???
Bruce
Old 12-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
Bruce, you and I met a few years ago when you found someone to take my old Saab off my hands. It was red with about 235k on it. I need to stop by and say hello . My wife and I had a great time at the Octoberfest rally up at lake winnipesaukee with the New England unit. I think we had 22 Airstreams and four were 16 footers.

Mat
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
hmm, it might be worth repeating here that if you're passing NYC on your way southward, to avoid I-95 from CT down through Westchester, the Bronx and Manhattan to the George Washington Bridge.

if you go that way, you'll hate yourself for both the roadway and the traffic!

head west across I-287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge instead, and then follow the NYS Thruway to the Garden State Parkway south. try to avoid rush hour on the GSP, as it will often also slow to a crawl through Essex and Union counties.

for a scenic (40 to 50 mph) ride along the Hudson River atop the Palisades cliffs, you can jump off I287 immediately after crossing the TZB and follow US 9W south to Fort Lee, and pick up I95 there instead.

travel safely! ymmv!
Well if your going to mention that you should also mention, don't take a trailer on any parkway in NY, it's not legal plus they have 9' high bridges to help enforce it.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
NY state parkways

you can pull on both the NJ and NY sections of the Palisades Interstate Parkway, which begins at the GWB in NJ, and ends at Bear Mountain Circle in NY.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
you can pull on both the NJ and NY sections of the Palisades Interstate Parkway, which begins at the GWB in NJ, and ends at Bear Mountain Circle in NY.
OK, I was told all of them.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Now Skater, not to be argumentative, but your advice to northbound travelers is dangerous. They can and will still stop you northbound if you make it through and ticket you. You are correct that there is no toll plaza to force a stop but beware Smokey is out there.
First, it's pretty clear from almost every post in this thread that propane is not allowed in the tunnels. I even posted a link to the sign showing it in the very post you quoted. Speeding isn't allowed, either, but I bet plenty of people using this site do it.

Second, I was trying to point out the absurdity of how it's apparently enforced, and how they probably miss quite a few people. I was apparently too subtle in my attempt to make that point, though.

It's an idiotic method of enforcement - if it's so dangerous, then they should be stopping people BEFORE going into the tunnels, like Virginia does on the I-664 tunnel. Ticketing them afterwards is great - they probably won't do it again - but what about the propane that could be laying dangerously in the bottom of the tunnel? Shouldn't that be cause for concern if it's so dangerous? Or perhaps it's actually not very likely or dangerous and we have a poorly designed, reactionary law.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Yeah, I didn't want to argue with Foiled, but that's my recollection, too - it's just a small sign here and there with a propane tank and a Ghostbusters symbol over it (what did we call them before Ghostbusters came out?). Here is an example.
I remember many years ago of a story in an RV publication, maybe a letter to the editor type thing that the state police were on the lookout for RVs beyond the last exit before the Baltimore Tunnel and were handing out very pricey tickets before they somehow got the offenders turned around. That stuck in my head and the many times we have made the trek between Virginia and New England we opted to take a wide berth west of DC, Baltimore, NYC and the parkways of southern Connecticut.

From the picture of this sign, I think I could have missed the warning while traveling in a unfamiliar area, trying to be in the correct lane while watching the traffic and mirrors.

Most states have a lot of signs when crossing the state line and trying to read all of them at 60+ mph can be a challenge. The Trailer Life/Woodall's campground directory now called the Good Sam RV Travel Guide has a section near the front that summarizes the various state requirements as well as a page listing trailer and propane restrictions for specific locations.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Is there a place for people to exit and resolve the condition?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
It's an idiotic method of enforcement - if it's so dangerous, then they should be stopping people BEFORE going into the tunnels, like Virginia does on the I-664 tunnel. Ticketing them afterwards is great - they probably won't do it again - but what about the propane that could be laying dangerously in the bottom of the tunnel? Shouldn't that be cause for concern if it's so dangerous? Or perhaps it's actually not very likely or dangerous and we have a poorly designed, reactionary law.
My guess is, it's a knee-jerk reaction to an accident that happened there decades ago. Which is true of most safety regulations, come to think of it. The regulation probably predates OPD valves, and the chances of propane vapors accumulating at the tunnel's low point today are Slim, son of None. It would require a propane tank that's leaking, and traffic at a standstill while the leaking tank is inside the tunnel, for any accumulation to reach hazarous levels.

BUT, the tunnel runs under a major navigable waterway, and an explosion in the tunnel not only shuts down vehicular traffic, but the port as well. That's a LOT of revenue losses for the port and the nation in the event of even a brief shutdown. Living in a port city, and seeing for myself the great wailing and gnashing of teeth over shutdowns of the port for even a few hours, I can understand the "better safe than sorry" attitude that leads to keeping a regulation that's out-of-sync with modern technology. Especially in a post-9/11 nation where "tunnel under seaport" equals "target for crackpots."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Is there a place for people to exit and resolve the condition?
To the best of my recollection, and I drive through Baltimore on most of the interstate routes from time to time, they are signed well enough in advance that if you see the sign and recognize what it is saying, you can take an alternate route.

(Some of the signs also say "HAZMATS must exit now" with the no-propane-tank symbol, like this. Definitely confusing; I doubt any RVer considers their camper a "HAZMAT" load. My main point here is if they really are serious they should sign it better than they do. I'd also like to point out that most vehicles that use the tunnels are carrying a very hazardous, explosive liquid...gasoline.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
The LPG restrictions in tunnels is seen mostly along the East Coast as those tunnels typically go under a bay or river providing a low spot for the heavier than air LPG to accumulate. Further west, most tunnels bore through mountains and are on a grade that permits the LPG to flow out the low end of the tunnel and they are not restricted. Many ferries require tanks to be closed and sealed by an inspector. Some states and provinces require tank valves be closed while traveling. Discussions such as this one at least raise an awareness among the readers that these laws exist and with a little pre-trip planning, one can avoid running afoul of local laws and regulations.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I'd also like to point out that most vehicles that use the tunnels are carrying a very hazardous, explosive liquid...gasoline.)
And vehicles carrying bulk gasoline are prohibited in the tunnel, but automobiles with gasoline tanks are not. It's actually sort of the same with propane.

If you look at the Code of Maryland Regulations webpage (Propane Regulations), you'll see that carrying propane is not prohibited, exactly. You can carry up to ten 10-pound containers at once, as long as they are properly sealed. But you cannot carry one 11-pound container. If you have gauges on your tanks, and can show that they each contain less than 10 pounds of propane, and the valves are closed, you can legally carry them through the tunnel. Theoretically.

But there's no guarantee that the folks doing the enforcing will bother to check that your 30-pound tanks only have less than 10 pounds in them. But if they DO have less than 10 pounds in them at the time, you could maybe use the regulation to avoid paying the fine— if you're willing to go to court to fight it.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote