Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Currently Looking...
Newark , Delaware
Highway 50...Coast to Coast

Has anyone done the trip on US Route 50 from Ocean City, Maryland to San Francisco, California? Seems like a cool thing to do. I'm nearing retirement and considering the trip. Any feedback would be appreciated. Also, any thoughts on a return route as I live about 100 miles North of Ocean City.
Delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Did US50 in the 90s without a trailer but backwards - Sacramento to Ocean City, MD and recommend it highly. When I did this coming back from the Left Coast on the way out - lived on the Eastern Shore of VA/Chincoteague Island at the time -I went up to the Michigan Upper Peninsula and drove US2 from there to Everett, WA. Then down the coast on 101 to San Francisco and from there to Sacramento. Lots to see - make sure you allow plenty of time. BTW 50 ends in Sacramento - it does not go all the way to San Francisco.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Vincennes Ind.

A must stop and see the history town. An early settlement along the Wabash river it has the home of President William Henry Harrison, a monument marking where Lincolns family crossed from Indiana into Illinois, and The George Rodgers Clark Memorial.

Clark was the younger brother of he of Lewis and Clark fame. I think that group of brothers had something like 5 or 7 that became Generals at some point. George was a pivotal character in the Revolution who virtually nobody except historians know about.

There is more to see there, but I will let you find it. Happy trails.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Bents Fort

Another historical must see is Bents Fort in Colorado. The site of one of Bents trading posts, run by the NPS

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Us 50

Delaware,

Traveled US 50 from Sacramento to Cincinnati last summer. Had a great time, a lot of fun things to do. Surprisingly the segment across Nevada known as the loneliest highway in America was the most fun. Would be happy to discuss the trip if you give me a personal email.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
Delaware,

Traveled US 50 from Sacramento to Cincinnati last summer. Had a great time, a lot of fun things to do. Surprisingly the segment across Nevada known as the loneliest highway in America was the most fun. Would be happy to discuss the trip if you give me a personal email.
I did Rte 66 in 1952 when I was 14...with my parents. I now want to do US50 and the Lincoln Highway. When we lived in Nevada we traveled the 'loneliest' part of 50. It took a few days because of so many interesting places along it to stop at and visit.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you're not in a hurry, US 6 would be a good choice. IIRC, out West there are sections that have become I-80, but that's pretty easy to figure out.