Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Highest /tallest bridge you and your Airstream have crossed?

I'm sure you all can remember the highest bridge you have crossed, but which ones were memorable with your Airstream. I admit I get the white-knuckle sometimes, crossing some bridges without the AS.
Some don't bother me, like Confederation Bridge to PEI or New River gorge bridge in West Virginia.
But the Chesapeake Bay bridge, near Annapolis MD, east bound (the one you can see through the railings) I do not like, and will not be pulling the AS across that windy thing!

Haven't had the AS too long (5 months) I have pulled the AS across the General W.K. Wilson Jr. Bridge on I-65 north of Mobile AL. It wasn't windy that day thank goodness.
Tell us which ones you like or don't like
Have a good one !
Old 10-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I didn't like the bride over Mackinac Straights, Michigan. Seemed like it was never going to end.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Bridges don't bother me but my wife gives me heXX when I point out all those ships at anchor out in the harbor while I am driving.

The time we crossed to PEI, early in the first year the bridge was open, we were the only rig on it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
So far, the Crescent City Connection, formerly known as the Greater New Orleans Bridge when there was only one span, 170 feet under it at high water on the Mississippi River. That's the clearance for ships passing under it. The road surface is higher. Heavily trafficked with a speed limit of 50mph. Not that anybody goes that slow…

The bridge itself isn't scary at all, even in rain or fog or when a ship is passing under it, but the other drivers on the bridge scare the bejesus out of me, especially when they're accelerating on the down-slope and jockeying for one of the exit lanes.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I didn't like the bride over Mackinac Straights, Michigan. Seemed like it was never going to end.
Lake Pontchartrain Causeway Bridge, 24 miles end-to-end. Not very high, but they implement "no RV" restrictions on the bridge during high winds.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
The Texas Highway Department these days loves to build multilevel interchanges with single lane flyovers from one highway to another. The High Five at I635 and US75 has five levels, and the highest ramps are 120 feet over the road below. I always wonder if I'll get hit by one of those Texas wind gusts going over those things. At least we don't have earthquakes....
kcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I guess ours is still the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge right in our front yard. (Well, sort of. It's about 30 miles from here.) The bridge is fairly short, but 565 feet above the river. A little unnerving when you walk the bridge and feel it shake when larger rigs go across.

Image from the Wikipedia article:
Rio Grande Gorge Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay is the tallest bridge that I have towed over

always like crossing the Seven Mile Bridge because it means I'm back in the FL Keys

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We've been on more than a few high bridges but it wasn't a single high bridge that caused my stomach to do a couple of flips - I don't remember the exact location but it was a stretch of highway somewhere southwest of Branson, Missouri (coming from Alburquerque that day) - not a single long or high bridge but lots of small, close bridges among the hills that twisted and turned and banked between them - quite a little thrill ....

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I remember crossing the bridge to Galveston, Texas. I thought it was quite high. We crossed into Canada at Sault Ste Marie bridge. And last month we crossed the Mackinaw Straits bridge about 200 feet above the water. And open guard rails. And high wind warnings. It was also one I will remember.

David

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
lewis and clark

The Lewis and Clark Bridge is a cantilever bridge that spans the Columbia River between Longview, Washington and Rainier, Oregon. At the time of completion, it had the longest cantilever span in the United States.[1]

The bridge was opened on March 29, 1930, as a privately owned bridge named the Longview Bridge. The $5.8 million cost was recovered by tolls, $1.00 for cars and $.10 for pedestrians. At the time it was the longest and highest cantilever bridge in the United States. The state of Washington purchased the bridge in 1947 and the tolls were removed in 1965 after the bridge was paid for. In 1980 the bridge was rededicated as the Lewis and Clark Bridge in honor of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The deck was replaced in 2003–04 at a cost of $29.2 million.

The bridge is 8,288 ft (2.5 km) long with 210 ft (64 m) of vertical clearance. The main span is 1,200 ft (366 m) long and the top of the bridge is 340 ft (104 m) above the river. It was designed by Joseph Strauss, engineer of the Golden Gate Bridge.

In 1982, the bridge was entered on the National Register of Historic Places, as the Longview Bridge.[3]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lewis&ClarkBridgeSP.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	224443  
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcollins View Post
The High Five at I635 and US75 has five levels, and the highest ramps are 120 feet over the road below. I always wonder if I'll get hit by one of those Texas wind gusts going over those things. At least we don't have earthquakes....
Isn't that the one that DFW residents used to call the "Mixmaster"? I'm not afraid of the height of it (as long as it's not in winter!) I just hate it because it's too danged easy to take the wrong ramp and come out of it headed south when you want to go east…
Old 10-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The Sunshine Skyway bridge to me, earns the "white knuckle" award. It is the only bridge I ever crossed feeling fear but not for towing necessarily. For a long time the collapsed section was quite visible to those crossing the other span, along with the long drop to the bottom. Just looking at it brought feelings of grief for those who died, and those who have used the span as a suicide site.

To answer the question, probably the Caloosahatchee overpass on I-75!
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Isn't that the one that DFW residents used to call the "Mixmaster"? I'm not afraid of the height of it (as long as it's not in winter!) I just hate it because it's too danged easy to take the wrong ramp and come out of it headed south when you want to go east…

Mixmaster is the name for where 45, 75, 35, and 30 come together at downtown. 20 was built south across D/FW in 1972 instead of being east of Dallas which made the Turnpike (built prior to IH system; now 30) from Dallas to Ft Worth a bear having to carry nearly all E-W traffic

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Now that I think about it the bridge across the Mississippi at New Orleans was fun. Not from a driving stand point but parked on it in traffic, in a loaded truck, while a train was crossing it. Almost bounced off the seat. My wife realy did not like that one.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
New River Gorge Bridge on US 19 near Fayetteville, WV - 876' above the river bed. Mid summer, on Bridge Day, one day per year, passes are issued for people to base jump.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Snake river ... Twin Falls ID AND longest on the way to the Region 10 in Astoria, OR was the above bridge ... until we hit the western OR coast.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
So far, the Crescent City Connection, formerly known as the Greater New Orleans Bridge when there was only one span, 170 feet under it at high water on the Mississippi River. That's the clearance for ships passing under it. The road surface is higher. Heavily trafficked with a speed limit of 50mph. Not that anybody goes that slow…

The bridge itself isn't scary at all, even in rain or fog or when a ship is passing under it, but the other drivers on the bridge scare the bejesus out of me, especially when they're accelerating on the down-slope and jockeying for one of the exit lanes.
hey Protagonist, are those two bridges higher than your new rebuilt Huey P. Long bridge? I watched it being rebuilt through the cameras and site they had set up during the process. Looks like they added a lot of steel and used the same foundations
170 feet, killer.

Have a good one!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #19

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
hey Protagonist, are those two bridges higher than your new rebuilt Huey P. Long bridge? I watched it being rebuilt through the cameras and site they had set up during the process. Looks like they added a lot of steel and used the same foundations
170 feet, killer.

Have a good one!

I crossed the Huey P. Long bridge twice daily in the late 80's in my pickup truck. Had the dented mirrors to prove just how tight a squeeze that pass was.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
170 feet, killer.

Have a good one!
Huey P. Long Bridge vertical clearance is 133 feet, and it's the lowest bridge over the Mississippi River downstream of Baton Rouge.