Old 12-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
No kidding! I can recall a time in the not-too-distant past when I was traveling westbound on I-12 north of Lake Pontchartrain. I was doing 60mph in the right-hand lane, and a semi with a box trailer— probably empty— passed me. A strong sideways gust hit from the south, and if I hadn't braked HARD at just the right time, that trailer would have swatted me like a bug! The semi itself wasn't affected by the wind and kept in its lane, but the arse-end of the trailer changed lanes right in front of me! Only for a moment, then when the gust was gone the trailer got back behind the semi where it belonged, and I pulled over to the shoulder of the road to wait until my case of the shakes went away… Let me tell you, there is no feeling in the world like the feeling you get when you realize you're still alive!
Protag, you make an excellent point. Airstreams (maybe not so much Interestates) rounded shapes makes them more resistant to crosswinds, but it does not help you when OTHER vehicles or trailers are involved!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #16
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
High wind driving

On an SOB, the squared sides and lack of radius in transitions from one wall to another or to roof or belly pan PLUS terrible suspension make them a wholly different experience in towing.

Pressure builds along the sidewalls per length (cannot escape) and pushes hard on tail. Suspension has almost no travel and center of gravity is higher. Susceptible to problems once steady crosswinds are present.

On the aero trailers the winds pass over (a benefit of lower ground clearance; this is by design) and in so doing "pull" at the trailer. This is a reduced order of force. Independent suspension handles this with much more grace.

Setting the WD hitch on the scale with 100% FALR is of benefit in handling crosswinds. Equalizing TW across all three scale pads is best for countering crosswind effect.

Loss of control accidents in this have to do with over correction by the driver. Slowing below 55 makes this easier to deal with.

And a VPP hitch makes it almost an unnoticed phenomenon.

With high winds (50-mph plus) I would call it a day.

Below that it would have more to do with wind direction, traffic and road quality. But my experience is not typical when I state that.

30-mph inconstant winds at 3/4's of the bow is the most tiring. Side winds the most "fun" at that speed.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote