Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Henry Ford Museum, Not Everyone Loves Airstreams

My wife and I along with my brother and sister-in-law took a trip down to the Henry Ford Museum yesterday. We had a great time seeing the collection, definitely worthwhile.

While we were touring Buckminster Fuller's Dimaxion house, my brother commented that it reminded him of our Airstream. The docent at the home overhead Airstream and said to my wife and I that "Airstreams are hideous, ugly and I hope you don't own one." I responded that in fact we do own one to which she replied that I'm sure they are fine for travel but that she can't stand being stuck behind mobile homes and trailers in traffic.

I decided not to engage with her but just couldn't believe her comments and attitude. After all, we where in a very unique home that many would consider ugly, they have an Airstream on display at the museum, and they sell two different Airstream specific books in their gift shop.

Again, we had a great day and would highly recommend a visit. The docent was just was so off the wall I had to share the comment.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Maybe she is one of those people that just likes to be "different" and say things to be controversial!

Haven't been to the museum for many years - about time we planned return visit. Did you also have time to tour the adjacent "Greenfield Village?" Also well worth a visit. I think we sound one day in the museum and one day in the village touring things such as Noah Webster's house, the original bicycle shop of Orville & Wilbur Wright and Edison's Lab.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Hi Brian,

No, we just did the museum. I believe the village is closed at this time of year but will try to get back down at some point. I would especially like to see the bike shop of Orville & Wilbur Wright.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I was at the Smithsonian Air & space museum. I'm not exactly thin. Our docent was showing us the Concorde. He look at me and said "you wouldn't like it in there".

I considered shoving him into a nearby space capsule......
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
:-)

There could be an entire topic on inappropriate comments in public settings :-)

As one who has never been accused of being "tiny", I'm getting the visual of jamming the tour guide into a space capsule. I'd never do it of course, but I laughed out loud when I read that :-)
Old 01-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
HeadWest, I hope that you will email the director of the museum to tell exactly what you have told us here!!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
The docent was just was so off the wall I had to share the comment.

She's painfully jealous and we all know it. It must suck to have to work around fine, vintage Airstream trailers and not have a clue about them.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
The docent at the home overhead Airstream and said to my wife and I that "Airstreams are hideous, ugly and I hope you don't own one." I responded that in fact we do own one to which she replied that I'm sure they are fine for travel but that she can't stand being stuck behind mobile homes and trailers in traffic.

I decided not to engage with her but just couldn't believe her comments and attitude.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And the Bill of Rights guarantees their right to express their opinion. Her backpedaling made it plain that the woman knew she had offended, and that she was embarrassed to have done so, but too proud to apologize.

Since she was expressing a personal opinion, and not claiming that it was the opinion of the museum, I'd say let it pass. No blood, no foul. This is not a person you'll ever see again anyway, so why would her opinion matter one whit to you?

I get people all the time self-righteously passing judgment on my decisions. Why do I live in an apartment rather than fulfilling the American dream of home ownership? Why did I buy a dinky little Interstate instead of a proper motorhome? Or why did I buy an painted steel Interstate instead of a "real" aluminum Airstream? Ad infinitum. You can't let dissenting opinions bother you.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
"NEAR Sociopaths"

My partner and I own a telephone answering service and hiring people - well I've decided to think it's FUNNY rather than tragic. It always amazes me how devoid in common sense some of our new hires are. One thing I've learned is that many ignorant, rude TEENAGERS can learn to be first class operators and can learn politeness and consideration for others, but that many people over 30 (and some younger workers) are so locked into their "rights" that they simply do not seem to understand that anyone else has those same feelings and rights. When you hire one of these people their "rudeness" turns out to be only the tip of the iceberg. They almost all make their co-workers more miserable than they make the customers - and they are almost always "company lawyers" who will maintain a low profile until they are eligible for unemployment compensation - then they start making the boss miserable too. These near sociopaths are more common than we'd like to believe.

PLEASE complain to the management! Those written complaints will allow the management to fire the pain in the neck employee!

Paula
Old 01-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village are both fabulous. Kind of a cross between the Smithsonian and Willimsburg.

Airstreams are not for everybody. Not everyone has class. I agree with Protagonist. Just ignore it.

Dan
Old 01-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
As an employer, I agree with Paula. I couldn't care less that she does or does not like Airstreams. I do care that she was thoughtless enough or mean enough to make such a cutting remark.
The management needs to know they have a potential issue. Ignoring the problem is selfish when you think of the numbers of other people she may also have impact on. Take the high road and make a thoughtfully worded comment to the people in charge.
I would!
Bruce
Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
There are people out there who will never understand that it is about the essences - not the things themselves.

They can only comprehend vulgarity.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
PLEASE complain to the management! Those written complaints will allow the management to fire the pain in the neck employee!
No need to be vindictive over a few poorly-considered words by a person that you will never encounter again anyway. If one must complain to management, please limit oneself to a simple statement of fact, and let management decide what— if anything— is to be done about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
As an employer, I agree with Paula. Take the high road and make a thoughtfully worded comment to the people in charge.
This I can agree upon. Emphasis on "thoughtfully worded." The moral high road necessitates displaying more tolerance than the person who gave offense.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Just to clarify, was referring to the docent as the one who will never understand those subtle glimmerings.