Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
West Liberty , Kentucky
Henry Ford Museum

Our unit is planning a rally to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI sometime next summer.

I am in need of information concerning camping facilities in the general area of the museum.

Thanks for any information.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Metro Detroit rally

The 2009 Metro Detroit rally was held at KC Campground at Milan, Michigan.
14048 Sherman Rd.,
Milan, MI 48160

www.kccampgroundmilan.com

Nice friendly folks there. Plenty of space. Good facilities and only a couple of exits from the Henry Ford Museum. Easy to get to each direction. AND near Cabela's too!!! You can probably get contact info. from Rhonda and Dave. (Drag'nWagon and Rhonda) on here.

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
Mr Airstream,
We visited the Ford Museum in June 2009 and the best location that I found was the Detroit-Greenfield KOA in Ypsilanti. I think it was about a 10 mile drive to the museum and Greenfield village on good highway. The KOA had a camping package for camping and tickets to the museum and Greenfield village. The campground is rustic, but clean and the people there were helpful and friendly. The campground surrounds a lake and we walked the loop around. Check out the web site www.detroitgreenfield.com for more details. I will stay there again if I go back to the area.
Frank
Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
another option

Have not been there, but there is another campground that is pretty near. Totem Pole Park, 16333 Lulu Rd., Petersburg, MI 49270
www.totempolepark.com

The folks from Michigan probably have more great suggestions!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Sterling State Park in Monroe is about 45 min from The Henry Ford. Drove thru it the other week- not at all a typical Mi SP. Very wide open, and with smoke stacks on one side, and a view of 'Fermi' on the other- takes away from that rustic CG feel.

there's also:
Harbortown RV Resort - New Website
also in Monroe. Can't offer any reviews, never been, but rvparkreviews gives it pretty good ratings.

Camp Dearborn, in Milford, is also about 45 min from THF.
http://www.campdearborn.com/
Haven't been there in 30 years, so can't review that one either... but a friend told me they recently renovated it.

Museums a great spot to spend half a day, then the other in the Village- weather permitting. Of course, don't miss the:

If you want to experience the best burgers in Michigan, be sure to stop at Miller's Bar on Michigan Avenue, about 2 miles west of Oakwood Blvd.

Of course, if you're into Mid-Eastern, Lebanese cuisine, there's a bunch of really great restaurants on the east side I can point you to- just let me know.

Happy 'streamin!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If you get to Ypsilanti, you might want to visit Miller Motors. The only Hudson Dealer still in business.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
I would pick either the KOA or Camp Dearborn. Those are the two listed on The Henry Ford's website. It is in the heart of Metro Detroit, you won't find anything closer. I have to say, though, if you have never been there you would want to have a full day to experience the museum and another day for the village. The museum doesn't take a full day but if you try to do both in one day you miss alot. And for the cost of admission one wants to get the most out of it! We go often since we are members and although I worked there as a young adult and have seen it many times, there is always something I missed before. We are even planning to go there next week for their Holiday Nights in the village.

Tags
camping, michigan, museum