Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Henderson State Park - Destin Florida

Wondering how many of you have been there?We are finally taking our last trip for a 2 night stay until the end of October of this year.(then we are back on the road for another 4 months of fun.)That place is really hard to get in to.I was lucky to find an opening for those nights.It is a very good spot to camp cause it is right in the middle of town and all the campsites are always full.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Slidell , Louisiana
I really like that state park also with very nice sites and walking distance to the beach. We went last year for the first time and enjoyed it.

I am hoping to find an opening there again soon also.

We would also hope to stay at the state park in Panama City with the close location to the beach although the sites are not quite as nice as Henderson SP.

Mark
MarkExc500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Thumbs up Great park....

This is one of my two "home" parks....it's 13 miles from our place and is just fantastic! I actually liked it better than Topsail!! All sites are gravel, although the firepits seemed to be shoved in to the corners of the sites-so you are unable to get chairs all around it. And small jets land at a little airport not far away. But other than that, great park. Super Walmart is right across the street, but you don't seem to realize how close you are to it all. Wonderful park for bikes/scooters/skates, etc. Not to mention the beautiful beach!

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Absolutely fabulous! One of our favorite spots to camp so far. You will most likely fall in love with it as well. Get reservations early and often!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Thumbs up Henderson Beach S.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
Wondering how many of you have been there?.....l.
Henderson Beach S.P. is one of my favorites in Florida. I give it a 10 all the way.

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
I was at Topsail last month, we were driving by Henderson SP and I asked if I could drive through to see the sites, they said I had to pay for a day pass. I said thanks anyway, I only wanted to drive though and they could see I was staying at Topsail. In Canada if you are camping in a Provincial Park, you can visit another Provincial Park without paying extra. Heck with Southern hospitality, it's a business right?
Old 05-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
State Park

Yea I can not wait to go there.We are leaving right after work so we should be there at around 5:00 P.M. Sunday afternoon.My little girl can not wait to go camping she loves it right now.I just hope she still likes it when she hits her teens.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Park

Well we just got back a few hours ago and I have to say that this is a really nice park to go to.It is no wonder that you can not get into here so easily because the area is just incredible.
We plan on coming back here sometime in the winter to just hang out for a nights when it slows down a bit from the tourists.
I did have one problem though.I left the awning up that night and totally forgot to lean it on one side and it rained very hard.So hard it woke me up and when I looked out the window I noticed the awning was collecting water on it.I put my raincoat on to go out side to remove the water and just as I had gotten out the solid aluminum bar just bent to a 45 degree angle from the weight of the water and it all run off.I was so mad at myself for forgetting something like this that is so important to do.The next morning I tried to fix it temporarely but could not get it completly staight so I got the hack saw and cut it short so I could close the awning back up.That morning I ordered another bar for only $28.00 which should be here in a couple more days.I guess this is a good one for the Hall of Shame.It must have been alot of water because when we tried to bend the bar back straight...It took the two of us just to get it to at least bend and that alone wore us out.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Devo,
Is that a great state park or what? How did your little girl enjoy the beach and the experience? Better get reservations early for winter as well. Glad you had a great time. One of our favorites for sure.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:26 AM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Happy

My little girl was very happy.She got to play on the beach.go bike riding,meet alot of new people.Plus the weather was awsome down here.This is the first time in a long time since I have felt this kind of cool weather come this far down south after spring break like this.I wish it was like this all year round.I had a great time and do plan to go there again.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:19 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Let us know next time you go, maybe we'll hook up and meet you there. It is a fantastic park, and you're spot on about the weather...it has been fabulous! Glad you enjoyed Henderson!

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We were at Henderson beach a couple of yrs back, and a Water Spout was spotted and a severe thunderstorm warning was issued. Theymade evryone evacuate the park. Luckily we had a ride with friends up to Panama City, but we had to leave our Airstream motorhome in the park. There was only a short notice as the skies got black and lightning and wind raged. We sat out the storm in a brick building, and when we returned hours later i expected the worst.
Not a drop of water in our 23 yr old AS and no wind damage of any kind. We enjoyed the rest of our stay in the beautiful park and i highly recommend it as well as Topsail.
Drive a bit further, and try Gulf State park in Alabama also..
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
You just gotta love those sugar white sand beaches and blue water. What a treat!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #14
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
White sands

I am very fortunate to see it everyday where I live.I am about 3 blocks from the beach and I still can not get enough of it.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
I am very fortunate to see it everyday where I live.I am about 3 blocks from the beach and I still can not get enough of it.
Hi Devoman, my wife and I are planning to visit the Destin area in a couple of weeks. We hope to stay at Henderson Beach State Park but may not be able to get in. Can you suggest other nice RV Parks in the area and also fun things to see and do? Thanks for any help that you can give me!
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
Ed
I have a reservation at Henderdon for last weekend of month but may not be able to make it. If this happens, I'll be happy to try to coordinate with you so you can claim it. If this doesn't work, I recommend the nearby state parks at topsail and Grayton beach. Topsail should have openings for sure and is only about 15 minutes from Henderson beach. If you're set on being in destin itself, there are a few private campgrounds but the only one I had stayed at has closed. Jarrod
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote