Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
Ldytraveller

1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Help with Travelling from Zavalla TX to Arizona

Any suggestions/experiences on which route is preferable - either taking North to I 20 or South to I 10 from Zavalla Texas to Arizona. We are pulling a 34 ft Excella and plan to visit various parts of Arizona. We will be traveling primarily in February. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Ldy kinda hard to say it looks like you are right between the two. Does 67 west get you to the 10 in about the same time.

Remember although it's Arizona and warm during the day our nighttime temperatures are still cold and high elevation are winter conditions in some cases.

We also have lots of part time visitors so you might consider making reservations.

Enjoy

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I would opt for I 20. Been both ways. Much easer going through Dallas- Ft Worth on I 20 than Houston- San Antonio on I 10.
Olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
Ldytraveller

1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Help with travelling from Zavalla TX to Arizona

Thanks for the advice. We will look a little harder at our route. More concerned about finding an easier route even if it takes longer. We are relatively new to RVing and have never been to Arizona before. Texas was our farthest West.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd take TX105 to IH10 just east of San Antonio. And continue on.

Very little traffic and far more scenic than the other route once past downtown SA.

IH20 is flat ugly. DFW can be awful (Houston is much easier traveling E-W). And the oilfield is heating up a little. Too much traffic by comparison all the way past Odessa.

FWIW, I drive professionally. And this would be the only route I'd consider.

Good luck, and a pleasant trip.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Pearland , Texas
I would look at going from Zavalla to Lufkin and going west on TX Hwy 7 to Interstate 35. Then west from Temple/Belton on US Hwy 190. It will intersect Interstate 10 out around Pecos. This a very scenic part of Texas hill country. If I was traveling it would be my choice and much better than any routes mentioned before this post. If you go to Google Maps, that is the route I was given.

Dale

Pearland, TX
1982 Avion 34V
dalecamp` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
If your goal is to only get to AZ and not to see things enroute - then I-10 is the lesser of two evils. I-20, after enduring Dallas, will give you a view of the oil fields of Texas complete with the smell of petroleum for much of the route - not a pleasant smell. I-10 has a bit better views, but falls short of being scenic. Also, they both take you thru El Paso, ugg. If, however you want to see something along the way, after stopping in San Antonio - well worth the stop, look for a way thru the Hill Country of west Texas, Johnson City, Fredericksburg, maybe even going over to Carlsbad Caverns. There is a lot to see off of the Interstates on your way to AZ, and the roads are good.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
GRAND CANYON , Arizona
Unless you really want to go through Houston or Dallas, why would you. But if I had to choose one over the other it would be Houston. Traveling through an Ice Storm in Dallas in Feb. is much worse than any Snow Storm I've ever been in.

The good news is neither is necessary from where you and and where you want to go. TX-7 W is a straight shot and even will by-pass part of the Austin I-35 Traffic. The short section of I35 you need to travel should be pretty good if you don't hit any rush hour periods.

The next thing you want to think about is how far you want to go each day and where do you want to spend the night. Some of the smaller towns along the state roads do not have the Wal-Mart parking lots so you may be looking at Rest Areas if you don't need hook-ups or RV sites if you do. Plan Ahead. Good Sam has an app for your smart-phone. It's Free and well worth having even if you have planed in advance. Sometimes the sites you chose from the website at home don't look nearly as shiny and polished in person and you might want to opt for another location on down the road. Here's the link for the app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...scamping&hl=en

Enjoy the trip and Enjoy Arizona
RadioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #9
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
I have some camp site suggestions in Tucson

So we have a couple of camp site suggestions in Tucson, in terms of pretty views and flat drive through sites with power the Santa Catalina State Park can't be beat. It is pretty close to all sorts of shopping, for restocking and to city life so it is great in that regard.

Even nicer is the Gilbert Ray Campground also near Tucson, a state park campground practically surrounded by the Saguaro National Park. This is of our all time favorite campgrounds, beautiful desert views, and power.

Since we usually boondock we consider this luxury camping - we don't do a lot of commercial site camping, we just live light on the land.

You may want power as days are delightful but nights are chilly and without power the furnace can't run. We also use electric blankets to keep us toasty without heating the trailer, and crack the windows to help with the inevitable condensation.

Enjoy Arizona, and if you head sought then Organ Pipe Cactus is absolutely splendid, easy pull throughs but no power or water if I remember correctly.It will be a little warmer than other higher elevation town.

We have never camped at Chiricahua but it is on our bucket list. In winter altitude is critical to temperatures in Arizona, so as you plan your rout remember to check the map for altitude as well as it will affect your comfort.

Also between Texas and AZ you will cross the continental divide, keep that in mind as it can be miserable in terms of weather if there is a storm coming through.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Up to 20, then up toward Greenville then West to pick up 380 all the way across to Las Cruces. Then pick your adventure into Arizona. I love those Texas FM roads.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Arizona in February

We are FT Airstreamers from Texas, and we have wintered the last 3 years in southern Arizona. Weather a lot like South Texas, can be pretty warm, but cold fronts wander through. But usually warm and dry. We are currently in Naco, AZ, just for a first time visit. Good camp with a golf course right on the border, becomes great camp if you golf. Mountains all around, interesting day trips in area. Coming through southern NM, if you do, good camp grounds near Deming, NM, state park, good Escapees camp if you belong to that group. [wW recommend it, discount camping in Hondo, Tx., near Carlsbad NM, Deming NM, Benson, AZ, Casa Grande AZ and best: Yuma AZ. Yuma has a lot to do, on Colorado river, lots of boon docking on the desert, free BLM land near Quartzite, AZ.] In Southern AZ, check out mountains in the south, usually no snow issues for travel. Patagonia [south of Tucson, in mountains] is really a neat area, good hiking, quirky town.

On the east border of AZ, interesting commercial camp called Rusty's Ranch, the road actually goes through NM and AZ. Rusty's is known as very quiet site with incrediable star gazing opportunities. Good camps on road to Portal, hikes. Tombstone is interesting. These are some of the less crowded, backroad types of areas.

No matter what, get a wonderful comforter, winter rated. Most of the time we sleep with a window open, or if too cold, with furnace set cool. Wonderful fresh air, guaranteed you will hear coyotes in this area, probably owls, and see hawks, deer, turkeys and other wildlife.

Yuma Escapees camp has swimming pool, heated. Winter temperatures almost always above 70 degrees day time, lots to see and do. Dentists in Algadones, Mexico 7 miles away. Get recommendation, many good dentists there, one third the cost of US.

Have fun, maybe we will see you!
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote