Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I totally agree with OBX - it will be about a 4 hour detour off of 95 but well worth it if you have the time. We have been going down there one or two weeks a year for over 20 years and LOVE it.

Also if you do head down 95 from NJ and want to do the DC thing Pohick Bay Regional Park in Lorton, VA is a very nice park to stop and stay a few days at. It is near us

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Medoc Mountain State Park

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Medoc Mountain State Park

About 15-20 min off I95, its a great stop. Not too crowed, clean and cheap.

Thanks to whoever posted this one before on this forum, that's where I heard of it.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:49 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Thanks all. We were able to secure a handful of nights in Anastasia, and tybee island as well.

We wanted to hit the keys but all those state parks were completely booked up! Not a single day anywhere!
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Now we have a few trips under our belts, we're feeling more confident but still clueless as far as the destinations along the way. This form has been so helpful in making the most from the time we spend in (and towing the airstream)

We're headed to Florida again in December and would like to make some good stops in the state parks along the way.

We have to visit family in Boca, but have almost two full weeks on the road.

Any have recommendations as to "must" stay campgrounds or state parks along the way?

We're ok with going out of the way a bit too...
There's a lot to choose from. In order to make recommendations we need to know if you are going to make a dash down I-95 or are you going inland a bit?
In December there could be anything in between freezing and warm weather. Will you need hookups or is boondocking ok?

I'll mention a few of my favorite campgrounds that I have used when traveling to Florida. You could be passing nearby. All have electric & water onsite with a dump station on exit.
Skidaway Island State Park GA
Edisto Beach State Park SC
Huntington Beach State Park SC
Hunting Island State Park SC
Anastasia State Park FL

I've not stayed here, but Medoc Mountain State Park NC is about 10 minutes off of I-95 in central NC
Old 08-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
We wanted to hit the keys but all those state parks were completely booked up! Not a single day anywhere!
Florida allows one to book a campsite 11 months to the day in advance. Registration window opens at 8:00 AM

Any available sites in the Keys in Snowbird season are all taken within a second or two after the window opens.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:45 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Florida allows one to book a campsite 11 months to the day in advance. Registration window opens at 8:00 AM

Any available sites in the Keys in Snowbird season are all taken within a second or two after the window opens.

Greg

A second or two?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?????????????
Old 09-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
A second or two?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?????????????
Let me rephrase.

On any given day, one can book a campsite to arrive up to 11 months in the future for a maximum of 14 days. You have to wait until 8:00 EST for the booking window to open for any date exactly 11 months in the future.

So on February 15, you can book a site for arrival no farther into the future than January 15 of the following year. If there is availability for January 15, you can book that date and up to 13 additional days immediately following your arrival date. But you have to wait until the booking window opens for that date, 8:00 AM

People come to know how competitive it is to book these sites so they find the site they want , bring up the booking page and are poised to hit the "Book this site" button at exactly the stroke of 8:00

I've been lucky a few times and beat the competition but have also been beat out many times, as well.

As I mentioned earlier, the farther south and the closer to the Ocean/Gulf you are, the more competitive it is

This also happens for popular national parks, such as Yosemite as well as popular California parks

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Let me rephrase.

On any given day, one can book a campsite to arrive up to 11 months in the future for a maximum of 14 days. You have to wait until 8:00 EST for the booking window to open for any date exactly 11 months in the future.

So on February 15, you can book a site for arrival no farther into the future than January 15 of the following year. If there is availability for January 15, you can book that date and up to 13 additional days immediately following your arrival date. But you have to wait until the booking window opens for that date, 8:00 AM

People come to know how competitive it is to book these sites so they find the site they want , bring up the booking page and are poised to hit the "Book this site" button at exactly the stroke of 8:00

I've been lucky a few times and beat the competition but have also been beat out many times, as well.

As I mentioned earlier, the farther south and the closer to the Ocean/Gulf you are, the more competitive it is

This also happens for popular national parks, such as Yosemite as well as popular California parks

Greg

This is helpful Greg. Thank you.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Kewadin , Michigan
If you are still interested in the Keys try this Bluewater Bay RV park. It sits down at mile marker 25 (I think) at south end of keys. It is pricey$$$ and somewhat exclusive (nothing under 24 feet) but each site has a tiki hut with other amenities and most are on the water. Just a thought.

Bluewater Key: "THE ONLY OFFICIAL WEBSITE WITH LOT RENTALS IN BLUEWATER KEY RV RESORT."
Silver Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote