Old 11-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #1

Vancouver , Washington
Smile Help with Mountain Pass Info for Long Road Trip In April

Hello, we are planning a trip from Longview Washington to Rockport Texas and Durham North Carolina. We plan on leaving April 1st due to mountain weather but are not sure if the passes we have to cross will still be covered. Does anyone out there have route suggestions that avoid our having to cover steep passes and going to LA and then East? We have 6 weeks to do a round trip and want to spend 7 days each with family in both states. We are completely open to the route if it means avoiding the extra mileage going the Southern Cal route and the steepest mountain passes or snowy mountain passes.

We will be pulling a 1978 Airstream Excella 500 with a 1989 Dodge Diesel.

Thank you for any advice and help!

Old 11-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangie View Post
Hello, we are planning a trip from Longview Washington to Rockport Texas and Durham North Carolina. We plan on leaving April 1st due to mountain weather but are not sure if the passes we have to cross will still be covered. Does anyone out there have route suggestions that avoid our having to cover steep passes and going to LA and then East? We have 6 weeks to do a round trip and want to spend 7 days each with family in both states. We are completely open to the route if it means avoiding the extra mileage going the Southern Cal route and the steepest mountain passes or snowy mountain passes.

We will be pulling a 1978 Airstream Excella 500 with a 1989 Dodge Diesel.

Thank you for any advice and help!
I suggest south to Vancouver and take I-205 around Portland to I-84, then I-84 until you get to I-80. Go east on I-80 to Cheyenne and then I-25 to Denver. You will then be clear of the Rockies and can pick whatever route you wish to Rockport. In April it is still possible, but not very likely to encounter snowy conditions, particularly between Pendleton and Ontario OR, and Laramie and Cheyenne WY. However you are on well travelled and maintained highway, with well marked places to wait for 24 hours or so if the weather becomes a problem. If you choose to go south on I-5 to SoCal you will still have places that you could encounter snow. I would not make a final decision on the route until a good weather forecast is available.

I got directions from Google Maps, and it provided a quite direct route, but there were a lot of 2 lane roads through sparsely populated areas. It looked great for sight seeing but not so good for reliable travel.

Ken

Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Shangie the I80 route is pretty good but check road conditions. I80 in the Cheyenne area can still have ice/snow the first part of April. You mentioned going south to LA. If that's your route the I40 will keep you well south. All the way to Memphis and then decide based on the weather which way, north route or south route into Raleigh/Durham.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote