Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Help with basics

Got our '73 as all cleaned and ready....now I want to plan a trip to use it. I was hoping it would allow spontaneity to some degree but I am afraid of getting stuck and having to drive all night because we can't find a place to camp or it costing as much as a motel. Friends want us to come to south Florida in high season and I find that the rv parks fill up and they don't allow sewage to be dumped. We could be hauling an AS and having to stay in a motel. Is that just the chance we take?

I need to get a feel for where we can go and where dumping is prohibited. I was told that several places in FL don't allow waste disposal even for a fee. Also what to do when there is no room. Perhaps there is a camping resource I need to read. This rv park person in FL told me that they arrest overnighters in parking lots and rest stops. How do I find out where I can take this rv before I take off.

I would also like a resource that lists basic, cheap camp grounds and not these elaborate resorts. Preferably for adults or retirees.

Also if they say that sewer is provided, does that mean the usual drain just stays connected or does it take a special connection?

Sorry to sound so inept....just wanta get a fix on it.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Do you have a phone or tablet, Android and/or iOS?

If so, the Camp & RV app from Allstays is a great resource for finding campgrounds, parking lots that allow overnighters and dump stations. Look for it in the Apple app store or the google Play store.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
What Andy sez. We never leave home without Allstays Camp and RV. Lifesaver.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxy View Post
Got our '73 as all cleaned and ready....now I want to plan a trip to use it. I was hoping it would allow spontaneity to some degree but I am afraid of getting stuck and having to drive all night because we can't find a place to camp or it costing as much as a motel. Friends want us to come to south Florida in high season and I find that the rv parks fill up and they don't allow sewage to be dumped. We could be hauling an AS and having to stay in a motel. Is that just the chance we take?
The situation does vary regionally and seasonally. If you're concerned, make reservations in advance for the first few trips until you get a better feel for the way things work. Check both private and public campgrounds since they have different use patterns. I use campgroundreviews.com to find places but there are lots of other resources.

Quote:
I need to get a feel for where we can go and where dumping is prohibited. I was told that several places in FL don't allow waste disposal even for a fee.
Florida | rvdumps.com

If you aren't using the shower in your trailer you will probably find that, with conservation, you can go quite a few nights without dumping tanks unless you have quite a few people with you.

Quote:
Also what to do when there is no room. Perhaps there is a camping resource I need to read. This rv park person in FL told me that they arrest overnighters in parking lots and rest stops. How do I find out where I can take this rv before I take off.
Make reservations at first until you get a feel for the local situation

Quote:
I would also like a resource that lists basic, cheap camp grounds and not these elaborate resorts. Preferably for adults or retirees.
https://www.passportamerica.com/campgrounds

Even if you don't have passportamerica membership you can use their list. In general the elaborate resorts don't accept passportamerica discount cards.

Quote:
Also if they say that sewer is provided, does that mean the usual drain just stays connected or does it take a special connection?

You need something like this, which will fit any of the several connections campgrounds might have:

Valterra D04-0450 Viper 15' Sewer Hose Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

If you still have the thetford (white) sewer outlet on your trailer you will need an adapter:

Valterra T05-2285VP Thetford to Valterra Universal Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive

You may find better deals if you buy some of the parts individually. There are other setups that will also work that use a smaller diameter hose, which is less prone to being damaged but more prone to clogs.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I suppose that upon occasion, a given RV park may be full. Say, Key West in February, but with just a small amount of planning it should not be a problem.

Some popular federal parks, like Yellowstone or Yosemite in peak season may also be tough to get it. But, I have parked in Grand Canyon in on Labor Day weekend with out reservations and was told a check-in they had lots of room. It was dry camping, but we were prepared for that.

I am not sure I understand you concern about dumping the holding tanks.

I have never had a commercial RV park turn me down, for a small fee.

Most state and federal parks have open dump stations and don't care if one has camped there or not.

Some rest stops along highways have free dump stations.

Cabela's just opened a new store near us, and while local codes prevent them from allowing overnight RV parking, they did install a free dump station in the parking lot.

I take my trailer to keep from staying in a hotel. Period.

We do sometimes use KOAs as a matter of convenience and have been slightly disappointed with the shape of a few of them, but never felt unsafe. I have never seen a full one.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
In our experience "Sewer provided" means you can hook your tanks directly to the sewer, so you don't have to fill up your grey tank and dump on the way out. Then you just dump your black tank and flush before leaving.

If they don't, they have a dump station near the exit.

Also, in Oregon, many rest stops have dump stations. Or as JD mentioned many RV parks will let you dump for a small fee $2 - $5.

Any campground set up for RV's will have a dump station. Most of the time we stay at sites without full hookup (sewer connection), so we we have to collect our grey water in an external 25 gal tote (no grey tank on our Streamline) and of course just use the black tank.

Every other day we drag the grey tote to the dump station, dump it, then take it back. We then dump the black tank on the way out. Just plan for a few extra minutes to dump when leaving.

We have also had good luck at the KOA's out here. Not sure they have them on the East Coast, but they tend to be clean, well run, have playgrounds for our kids to burn off energy, and are rarely full.

We prefer state parks as they are usually more scenic, but the really nice ones (like the ones with ocean views) book up. But they have online reservation systems.

So far we have always booked ahead. But in the future we will likely be more adventurous to get better sites, sites that don't take reservations.

Why not take a shakedown run to a local park for one night?

Have fun!

Ian
Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I suppose that with the federal government on a payment hiatus, the Park Ranger services will close, so you may not want to plan on using them until they're back...
Old 10-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Thanks for the handholding. Much great info here was appreciated. Especially the campground resources. What is the situation at rest stops on the interstate. If you park and go into your it to sleep....leaving no evidence of course, will they run you off? We thought maybe we could park in the daytime, sleep and drive at night on long trips.
While cruising the world on a sailboat we became comfortable with 1/2 gallon sink showers.
Thanks again to a great forum response.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxy View Post
Thanks for the handholding. Much great info here was appreciated. Especially the campground resources. What is the situation at rest stops on the interstate. If you park and go into your it to sleep....leaving no evidence of course, will they run you off? We thought maybe we could park in the daytime, sleep and drive at night on long trips.
While cruising the world on a sailboat we became comfortable with 1/2 gallon sink showers.
Thanks again to a great forum response.
We've used them often....never had a problem, just use common sense.

Stay hitched, don't put the stab's down, give yourself an out in your choice of parking area's, pick-up after pets & kids and don't overstay your welcome.

POI...Ohio has the best RA's.

Others will have their own opinions.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07416.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	529.4 KB
ID:	196936   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07100.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	348.0 KB