Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Help planning fall trip from Midwest to Acadia

Hi all,

We're starting to plan a 3 week trip from St. Louis area to Acadia NP and back in the fall. We're looking for the best 3 week time frame and gathering a list of "don't misss" items and best places to stay along the way. This will be the first trip to the northeastern side of the states for us with the camper. We usually head to the west, so everthing that we see/visit will be new for us.

Give us some ideas and options.

thanks,
Terry and Wanita
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Maine -Bar Harbor

We Camped at Bar Harbor KOA and had a Sea side campsite that had a "Beautiful View". Bar Harbor was nice to visit. We did lot's of Sea Kayaking and it was great.
We also used an Outfitter for one trip,which i would recommend "National Park Sea Kayak Tours ". Another "Old Quarry Ocean Adventures" has a great location for a kayak trip. Wonderful trips and staff.
If you pass thru Ct. stop at Mystic,Ct. and spend a day at "Mystic Seaport Museum ".
Going thru Maine stop @ L.L.Bean and take a walk on Adventure with Archery,Fly Fishing,Sea Kayaking or Sporting Clay's.Lot's of Fun!!! The store is Fun also.
there is lot's of other info. on the Forum. Enjoy your trip and take your time.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Maine camping-Bar Harbor

I used to live in Maine. If you're going to be in New England, you must see the great fall foliage. For Bar Harbor , I would recommend being in the area the last week of September or the first week in October. No one knows for sure just exactly when the colors will be the best,these are normal average times. It depends when the first frost occurs and how rainy a summer it was. Good luck and have a great trip!
mainebme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks

Thanks everyone so far (both posted and PMs). We are looking now at the Last week of Sept through the 2nd week of Oct.

Keep other ideas coming,
Terry
Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Hi,

I live in NH and you might want to move your plans back a week. The second week in Oct can be beautiful - but I've also seen it be cold and snow on the 12th of Oct, but it can also be nice - you never know. generally that's peak fall foliage time - and there will be lots and lots and lots of traffic as a result. September right after Labor Day is usually lovely weather and quieter. (But your mileage may vary - LOL.) Also a lot of campgrounds close sometime in Sept - so do your research to make sure there will be places open where you want to stay.

If you are interested in history check out Portsmouth, NH. You can camp at Salisbury Beach State Park - which is right on the MA/NH border and it's only about a 20 minute run into Portsmouth. It's a nice, relatively affordable, campground right on the ocean where the Merrimack River empties into the Atlantic. Portsmouth is old and historic, an 18th century shipbuilding center - John Paul Jones lived and launched from there. It's great for walking and has interesting shops and wonderful and varied restaurants. Strawbery Banke is in downtown Portsmouth and has a collection of historic buildings and a lot about the history of the area from the 17th century to the 20th. Check their website to see if it interests you. It's a neat place if you like history. And there's a lovely park across the street right on the river: Prescott Park. Portsmouth would be good for one day.

You might also like to tour NH's White Mountains - which you can do in one or two days. From Portsmouth you can take RT 16 north and have a great view of Mt. Washington - highest in the east. Check out Lake Winnipesaukee on the way - Wolfeboro is a pretty and old town on the east side which claims to be the oldest summer resort in America. You can also drive to the top of Mt. Washington on the auto road (without your trailer) and have a view of several states, the Atlantic Ocean and Canada on a good day. It has a word renowned weather observatory on the summit and the fiercest weather anywhere in the winter. Or you can take 93 north, make a loop through Franconia Notch and around through Pinkham notch and south on Rt.16 to Portsmouth or cut off halfway down the state and take Rt 25 East which is a local two lane - but decent road through a bunch of towns - to Portland Maine. None of the grades through the mountains are a real problem - it's nothing like being in Colorado!

North Conway on the eastern side of the White Mountains is another neat town - with a wonderful old historic railroad station and a tourist railroad (Conway Scenic - they have a website) which is fun to ride. It's a skiing mecca in winter but a nice place with shops, restaurants and great scenery anytme.

These are what come to mind off the top - if I think of others I'll add tem. If I can help with any questions PM me. And let me know when you are coming through maybe we can meet up.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have been to Maine several times, never to camp until this year in the Interstate--we may meet you on the road somewhere! If you are going all the way to Acadia NP, you will go through Camden, ME, which is beautiful and worth a stop. You can sail out onto Penobscot Bay from there, via MaineWindjammerCruises.com, which is an incredible experience. We like the Lewis R. French, a lovingly restored wooden schooner, non-electric, kind of like camping at sea but with a chef to prepare gourmet meals on a woodburning cookstove. Captain Garth and his lovely wife Jenny are delightful.