Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Help planning cross countries trip

I am having fun, however, I'm also a wee bit overwhelmed trying to figure out our trip this summer.

I'm in San Diego. Need to get to Newport Rhode Island for the Newport Folk Festival July 25, 26, 27.

We're flexible, but figure we'd leave San Diego by July 1st. And then, after the festival, we plan to take another month to get home.

We want to stay as far north as possible (I think) to avoid the summer heat as much as possible. And also, because of that, and because Canada is awesome, we're thinking about going across the US on the way east, then head up to Maine (never been there), and then head west across Canada. And then, at some point, drop down into the US.

Anyone with a great idea of a route, and why...I'd love to hear about it!

EDIT: If you're route includes any bluegrass, old time, traditional music festivals, you get extra bonus points!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Sounds like a great trip, but that is a lot of mileage to cover and still see ALL the POI.

There are multi-numerous festivals this time of year and eastern Canada is a hot spot for this. I wll let some of the east members detail the activities in their area.

Each area of the Continent could entertain you easily for 2 months so you have a fun task deciding where to go.

Good luck on your tour.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Hi Dave. Yea, I know, it ends up not being nearly enough time. Which is why I think I'm struggling with the planning. It's so darn hard to narrow it down.

We are flexible, and so it's possible we could take another month, but for now, I'm counting on only two months.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We will be heading west this later spring via the UP of Michigan and then along the Great Lakes. I'd made this trip before by motorcycle and it is great. You could travel east that way over to eastern Michigan, cross into Ontario then traveling over to western New York, and then through upstate New York into New England.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
We will be heading west this later spring via the UP of Michigan and then along the Great Lakes. I'd made this trip before by motorcycle and it is great. You could travel east that way over to eastern Michigan, cross into Ontario then traveling over to western New York, and then through upstate New York into New England.
Can you share just a little bit more info on your route?
Old 02-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
If your passing through northern Wyoming July 11-13, there is a bluegrass festival in Buffalo on those dates.

Big Horn Mountain Festival
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
If your passing through northern Wyoming July 11-13, there is a bluegrass festival in Buffalo on those dates.

Big Horn Mountain Festival
Thanks for the info and link. That looks awesome, and is exactly the kind of thing I love!! I play guitar and fiddle and love the jam sessions! Unfortunately, I think it's probably too late in the month. We should probably be closer to the east coast by then.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I just noticed, on the Big Horn Mountain Festival website, that they have a link to a listing of festivals. Great list! I'll have to see if I can make it to one of those, maybe on the way back west! Cool.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
I just noticed, on the Big Horn Mountain Festival website, that they have a link to a listing of festivals. Great list! I'll have to see if I can make it to one of those, maybe on the way back west! Cool.
I hadn't noticed that. There's a bunch of them. I had no idea. Glad I could help.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote