Old 03-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Help! Overnight in Ohio -need open campground

We are headed home after nearly a month of traveling. We left Western NY state on Feb. 9 (gladly) and have enjoyed our travels which included 6 wonderful state parks in Fl., a couple private cgs and a variety of overnights traveling including our last two in Chattanooga, Tn. Our current problem is that we will be in Ohio tonight and would like to stop for the night but can't find any open campgrounds around Columbus to Cleveland on Rt 71.... If anyone knows of an overnight stop please respond ASAP. We would like electricity..... Thanks for any fast help, Mary Jane

Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Cross Creek Campground is located north of Columbus off I-71. From junction of
I-71 and & Rte. 36/37 (exit 131), go west about three mile to Lackey Old State Road and then south (Left) for 3.2 mi. Trailer Life rates them as 9.5/10/10. We've not stayed there but we have driven through it and checked iy out. Nice. Phone number is 800.988.2267. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Take a slight detour to the Airstream Factory which is close to Columbus. They have overnight parking with electricity.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Overnight there is always Wal Mart, Flying J, or Cracker Barrel

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Go to the factory in Jackson Center, Ohio, they have a really nice campground. I think it is around exit 101 or so? and pull right in and hook-up. No reservations required and pay 10 dollars when they open tomorrow if you miss them tonight. Its nice there.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks for the help. As much as I'd like to visit Jackson Cntr. it is about 82mi. in the opposite direction which would add 160...to our journey home. That will be for another time.
Thank you Pilgrim for the Cross Creek suggestion. I called and emailed them (office is closed as of 1PM Sat.) but we will follow your directions to there since they surely have an opening in March. We only have a Woodalls with us and they aren't in there. Also didn't show up on web search.....but found their web site.
The weather is surprisingly warm today so we could be warm enough at the Walmart etc. but these days we are feeling it is worth the $$ to have a quiet and relaxing evening and start to the day. We now operate under the policy that "every day is a vacation" no matter where we are.
Thanks again for quick responses, Mary Jane
Old 03-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I'd wait for an invite from Larry & Lou! They are in Lagrange, a little ways off of 71, but thier hospitality and courtesy parking is the best!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
you are welcome here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I'd wait for an invite from Larry & Lou! They are in Lagrange, a little ways off of 71, but thier hospitality and courtesy parking is the best!
Thanks, Dan! We appreciate the kind words.

I know this is late, but we just got home from putting on a big pancake breakfast with the band boosters.
You are welcome to come by our place! You can give us a call if you are still in our area. I will PM you with that.
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Smile Thanks from 2Can on the road

Thank you again for the responses - we stayed at the Cross creek resort, very quiet and we are having breakfast while catching up on email.
The added benefit was leaving the trailer here and going back to Columbus to stock up at Trader Joe's. Besides their wine they have graham crackers I can't live without. Also their frozen gourmet entrees for 2 are the perfect companion in the travel freezer.
This was our first winter of retirement and we explored Fl. in areas we hadn't seen. When kids were with us we always headed for a beach over spring break. This trip we only went to a beach a couple times in 4 weeks, enjoyed exploring various state parks and biking. Next year we will bring kayaks as we found some great spots......although I'm still not sure about the alligators!
Thanks again Mary Jane from 2Can.
Oh yea the other acquisition this trip was the Verizon Air Card - don't know how I lived without it.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi guys----where would you get better help and resources than here! We keep a Trailer Life Directory with us, really pretty inclusive with private as well as all the state and national campgrounds, etc., and you can get them at any of the big bookstores. You might also look into Passport America, which we have and have found perfect for overnight parking at 50% off. Some of their sites are strictly overnight only, others full service RV parks which are beautiful and worth a return trip. We have had the VZ air card for a couple of years, love it so much, also are big Trader Joe's fans. If you haven't tried their coffee, it is reasonable and very good, we have really never found anything from there we didn't love. Have a safe trip home, will look for you on the road.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Hi MJBear,

Glad Cross Creek worked out for you. There is a State Park almost directly across the road from the CG, Alum Creek State Park but they haven't yet opened for the season. Often times selected State Parks will have one section open for winter travelers but I don't know if they do it at that park so I was reluctant to recommend it to you. We really like the Ohio state Parks - elec. only but water supply if needed and dump stations and very nice. Glad you had such a successful tour of Florida and points between there and home. We're looking forward to getting our TT our of winter storage and back on the road. I stopped in to check on her recently - seemed to have managed the winter well. We've been making our plans for our long weekends and longer summer (fall) trips - can't wait. I'll bet winter traveling was a treat.
Again, glad to have been able to help out - I'm sorry I hadn't thought about LOUDRUFF or I would have certainly mentioned them to you. Happy trails..........
Old 03-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear View Post
Next year we will bring kayaks as we found some great spots......although I'm still not sure about the alligators!
When I first went to Myakka Lake State Park and saw fisherman standing a 1/2 mile off shore in knee deep water I asked the ranger if they were nuts. The lake has over 600 5 ft of larger alligators in it. He said you are fine during the day but at night there are only 2 things in the lake. Alligators and Alligator food. This year the lake was down because of lack of water, only about 15 in. So low I was afraid of scrapping across their backs as we kayaked.

Bring the kayaks I had mine in a dozen time in Jan.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I know my reply is a few days late, but just an FYI for future travelers, almost all Ohio State Park campgrounds are open all year.

During the off-season a large portion of the campground is gated off, but a small section of sites is always available. The restrooms are closed, though they place a large portalet out front. Fresh water may not be available, but the power is on, and the dump station never closes.

Great for a peaceful and cheap overnight stop.

Christopher
Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
That is nice to know about the Ohio state parks. The books all say they don't open until mid April at the earliest.

As for alligators we have had many bits of advice. Since I would never kayak at night it is good to know that is when they are hungry. Another person told us to stay out of the water in March & April as that is their nesting season and they get cranky and protective of their area....
As for "scraping their backs" we took a John boat through the Okeefenokee swamp one spring. We must have come too close to or touched a large gator in the canal and it flipped and whacked the boat with its tail and scared the heck out of all of us. (4 in the boat) All I can think of is if I had been in a kayak I would have ended up in the water. Gators seem a lot more worrysome than sharks. But there are so many nice places in Fl. to kayak I'll have to get over it I guess.