Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
ocala , Florida
Smile Help for vertically challenged

We are just starting our search for our AS and sure could use some help from the experienced. My husband is 6'5" and I'm no shorty either. It looks like the International series is the way to go but I am also concerned about sleeping arrangements. Are any of the older models more conducive? Initially we will be traveling on weekends. We have a 1/2 ton Chevy we will be using to tow.

Also, would we be better off paying to get one (older model) restored and set up the way we want? My husband is very handy but time is an issue at this stage in life. I read in one of the forums that it is cheaper to pay someone to refurbish than to by a newer model. If that is the way to go , we are in Florida so if anyone knows of a reputable restorer in this area of the country we are open to that.

Thanks in advance for any help making our choice!
mybyebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
My advice, since I am in a similar situation and size as your husband, would be to by a trailer a few years old. When you buy new, the first year the trailer depreciates in value rapidly. A 2 to 10 year old trailer that has been gently used still has a long life and depreciates slowly for the next few years, then the value holds. The newer it is, less frequently repair work will be needed when something breaks. Though, maintenance is necessary continuously regardless of age.

Since your husband is tall, a queen bed will be more comfortable. But I am similar in height and we get by with the double. DW is less than 5' so I take more than half the bed. Your husbands head will touch the ceiling in the shower, as mine does, when he stands straight up. Both of you should do some shopping at a dealership to tryout the bed, furniture, and toilet fixtures to see how they fit you, before you jump in and buy one.

If you get a trailer manufactured before the mid 1990's it will be 6" narrower than the newer trailers. That makes a big difference.

My first early 1970's Excella was 20+ years old when I got it. It needed repairs and maintenance constantly, so I sold and got newer after a few years. My next a 1980's Excella was 20+ years old when I got it, less work but still plenty more than I wanted. Next a late 1990's Excella wide body was 10+ years old when I got it, not much work or maintenance need. My present trailer is 11 years old. There is the occasional upgrade I want, but not much to repair, yet. All trailers require repair and maintenance, which increase as they get older.

My first 3 trailers were 30' since the children came along sometimes. Now just DW and myself, the 25' is plenty for us, for months at a time. We do not stay in one place for very long. We spen January and February in Florida last winter. We are planning on 3 months next year, mostly in one spot.

I spend about 90 to 100 nights per year in mine. I would rather be out enjoying myself seeing new things instead of repairing or maintaining. However I still enjoy the old ones, and still dream about getting an old 40's or 50's model, one to fix up.

Whatever you decide, you will have fun in an Airstream of any kind!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
It might be beneficial to go look at some older and newer units to see what works best for you, especially with the interior height and bed length issue. I am 6'-7" and I slightly rub my head on the ceiling of my 1982 34'- I have to duck for the lights/ vents/ AC/ and the two hallway divider top tracks. But it is not all so bad...I would rather duck a little in an airstream than not in a SOB
I have the twin beds in the back, one is a little longer than the other which fits me ok. the goucho in the front makes into a double bed which has more room.

Good Luck on your search!
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
We know the issues well. Our boy is 6'7", I'm 6'4", and there are a couple of choices to make life easier. First, find as old a wide body as you can, the additional floor space and head room is worth it, and then budget for few immediate upgrades. A taller toilet was the first mandatory upgrade followed by extending the queen mattress with an eight inch foam insert (matched to mattress height & width) used under the head end. Luckily, I do woodwork so the foot end was nothing more than attractive brackets under a new plywood base sized to match the "new" mattress dimensions. Be sure to check the status of the foam bumper over the doorway, you will test it with your forehead the first few times out but almost never after that. Go forth and enjoy!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
ocala , Florida
Smile

Thanks for all the good pointers from all of you! I am on the hunt for our AS and have been dreaming AS for 25 years so a little longer will be OK. Life is short .... time to do it!!
Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We have a 27' FB International and the first thing we did was get rid of the 'trailer queen' bed and got a full size queen. Much more comfortable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe01 View Post
?....Be sure to check the status of the foam bumper over the doorway, you will test it with your forehead the first few times out but almost never after that. Go forth and enjoy!
Can't wait to stop banging my head... Seem to hit the bumper at least once or twice each trip.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Twin beds in Airstreams are longer -- they use dorm long sheets.

Best discussions on this topic often have involved Mod Emeritus, 85MH325. It looks like his solution was same as Scott J-24's:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...tml#post637012
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...tml#post202335
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f156...67-a-8139.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
@ Scott J-24, I hope your tag was chosen because you like to sail as well.

I didn't mention we have two 150+ pound Great Danes which travel with us every trip. They love the slide-out feature as that added floor space becomes their bed area. I'm usually dealing with leases which helps me remember to duck before I get pulled out.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe01 View Post
@ Scott J-24, I hope your tag was chosen because you like to sail as well.

I didn't mention we have two 150+ pound Great Danes which travel with us every trip. They love the slide-out feature as that added floor space becomes their bed area. I'm usually dealing with leases which helps me remember to duck before I get pulled out.
Yes, I sail a 'vintage' J/24. She is hull #133 and was the last boat built in their first year of production (1977). Even at almost 34 years old, she is very competitive and wins more than her share of races. she is a great boat, but not as comfortable as our AS. You would think that with a low boom on the boat I would know how to duck....
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Sailing & Streaming... shared passions! I raced J's in Hawaii during the late 70's before moving to the mainland and learning how to race around big puddles in the Mid-West. A further move to the East Coast got me back to blue water with my last trip being a run in the Charleston to Bermuda on a Benetau 57. Nowadays, weekends not in aluminum are usually spent racing a Catalina 32 on Lake Lanier. After 50+ years, regardless of hull, ducking has become second nature. Now if berths were built a little longer....
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
ocala , Florida
Once again, I am new so .... I was wondering as far as the Internationals go ... did they make them with singles? We are looking for a 2004-2009 25' International and all of them I have located have the corner bed which is way too small for tall people. We would also consider a Classic 25'. We are 6'5" and 6'. Sure would appreciate any suggestions!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I'm only 5'10" and found a six foot bed isn't long enough for complete comfort so when we got the new AS had a queen, sure made it made it more comfortable than sob with 6ft singles.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
thought I read that the older, narrow trailers are 1" taller than the newer wide body trailers?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
mr bb, have you been following this thread?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...any-79254.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #15
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
mr bb, have you been following this thread?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...any-79254.html
That guy is crazy and he is ruining that trailer.
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote