Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
Question Help, Atlanta tomorrow

I will be towing a 28' Excella tomorrow, Thursday down I-75 thru Chattanooga to Atlanta, around 285, then east on I-85 to exit 106 to Athens then on to Elberton for a RV singles rally. Horrible weather but we will still have fun.

Weather terrible, got a question about my sway bar.

Somewhere I think I read where you should not tow in rain with your sway bar attached. Is this right or wrong? What is to keep the tail from wagging the dog then?

Need some feed back on this.

TNSue
tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

TNSue, try here:- http://www.airforums.com/forum...=sway+bar+rain .You will see it was discussed last week. Briefly, one wiew is that if the friction device is on tight, the trailer and tow vehicle will not articulate on wet or icy roads, but will slide round a corner as if welded together. The contrary view is that the friction bar forces are trivial in comparison to those involved when the tow vehicle turns. The jury is out! Nick.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:09 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
sway bar

Nick,
Somehow I missed that discussion.

Thanks for the link. I guess I will not worry about it and just be very careful, as I should anyway.

I appreciate your answer.

TNSue
Old 08-12-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsue
I will be towing a 28' Excella tomorrow, Thursday down I-75 thru Chattanooga to Atlanta, around 285, then east on I-85 to exit 106 to Athens then on to Elberton for a RV singles rally. Horrible weather but we will still have fun.

Weather terrible, got a question about my sway bar.

Somewhere I think I read where you should not tow in rain with your sway bar attached. Is this right or wrong? What is to keep the tail from wagging the dog then?

Need some feed back on this.

TNSue

TN Sue, there has got to be a better way to get to Elberton than come all the way down to ATL then Back up 85. Look at a map and maybe cut over through Gainesville or something??? Just trying to help you out. Maybe you could go East out of Chattanooga and then down or something???

Good luck. Just keep the speed moderate and you should be fine. It you are used to towing with the sway bar, leave it on there.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pusher
TN Sue, there has got to be a better way to get to Elberton than come all the way down to ATL then Back up 85. Look at a map and maybe cut over through Gainesville or something??? Just trying to help you out. Maybe you could go East out of Chattanooga and then down or something???

Good luck. Just keep the speed moderate and you should be fine. It you are used to towing with the sway bar, leave it on there.
There is not a particularly great way to get there from Chattanooga on the GA side of the line. To get from I75 over to 515/76 its nothing but twisty roads till you get down to hwy 20. hwy 53 from Calhoun would take you south of Cohutta and not be too twisty. 515/76 is a pretty good 4 lane till you get past Blairsville GA Then it's all slow 2 lane back down to I-85. Basicly it would be a miserable ride in traffic on curvy roads with as low as 35 mph speed limits. Lots of stop lights.

Coming accross in TN 64 I couldn't tell you what to expect. Still have that miserable ride down to I 85.

Don't get me worng. It's a pretty area. I have driven that area a few times but it never fails to get that slow area where you jost don't seem to make any headway.

From hwy 20 on I75 if there is no problems on I75 its a 40 minute ride to I 285. It will take you 25 minutes to get to 515/76. From 515 and 20 it's a 50 minute ride to Blairsville. Going 285 in that same time frame she will be hitting I85.

Baring traffic issues the route she has picked is mostly interstate that should let her average 55mph all the way to the Athens exit. Though longer it will be a LOT less stopping. Should be the fastest way to go.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
If you go thru Atlanta 285 mid day, it should be ok. I would keep the radio on am 750 for traffic updates. After 9 am it calms down some, and stays ok until 4...most days...however there is always the possibility of a mess anytime. Good luck.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I caught up with a Airstream yesterday evening at about 6pm on I75 but had to exit. Did not get close enough to see the tow rig before I had to exit at Chastain Rd.

Was that you Sue?
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:05 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Thumbs down Nightmare in Atlanta

Well, I headed out in a driving rain. Horrible wreck in Chattanooga where I-75 and I-24 meet. Took an hour to go 4 miles.

Made it around Atlanta and on to Athens where I promptly found a bolt in the road and left rear Burb tire went kapoot. Brand new tires.

The matter of the sway bar is a moot subject now for me.

I drove to Roanoke, Virginia, was pulling into the Wal-Mart (where else) parking lot, heard a very loud bang then heard something dragging. The weld on my slider bar that connected it to the small ball gave way and there went my sway bar. Limped to an RV dealer north of Roanoke and had a Equi-li-zer hitch installed. No more sway bar.

Then had flat on trailer, ran over another screw on I-81 headed back to TN.

But I do appreciate everyones help. Actually there is no easy way to get where I am going in Georgia. I just have to grin and bare it and tow.

to 59toaster, that was not me. I was sitting at a BP in Athens having the flat changed on the Burb.

I don't mind the traffic in Atlanta as long as no one tries to share my spot in the lane.