Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Hell's Canyon Area - Oregon - Tow Q

We're going up into Oregon in June and we'll be going from La Grange to Joseph, and then down from Joseph through the Hell's Canyon area down into Baker City. I know the road is seasonal. I am wondering how hairy it is for towing. We have a FC 25 with a Suburban. Comments?
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Are you going up to Imnaha? We've done that many times before without a trailer...I remember some steep roads!! We've also driven from Joseph to Baker City - again, without a trailer, but nothing stands out that it would be difficult in the summer. I wasn't looking through the eyes of someone pulling a trailer though, so don't take my word for it!

The Joseph area is beautiful....in my opinion it is one of the prettiest parts of Oregon. Be sure to take the tram that is located just outside of the state park...the views from there are amazing!

We are planning on heading over there just as soon as school gets out! There are some pretty places to camp and hike in the Blue Mountains on the way, as well!

The photos here are of the mountain range heading into town, Wallowa Lake just outside of the state park and downtown Joseph...a fun place to wander and shop!

Best of luck to you
-Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	159221   Click image for larger version

Name:	g.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	159222  

Click image for larger version

Name:	j.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	543.7 KB
ID:	159223  

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
drove that route last summer

I think there were 12 of us on that particular leg, have a photo of the group at the HC overlook. My wife decided she would drive that leg, as she gets a little worried when I drive in the mtns. we towed a 30 ft classic with a 1 ton ford van, there were plenty of large rigs. The road had some wash out areas but was not very difficult. We traversed this route from BC to Joeseph. You should be fine, but of course check with the locals about 2012 conditions. it is scenic and just lovely. Oh, we made this leg just after 4 July, and 2011 was one of wettest winters on record. well, I do not have the photo on e-format, and it was probably only 6-7 of us after looking at the print of the pix I was thinking of. at any rate-you should not have any trouble.
bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Your pix are beautiful Kim! And Bill thanks for the road conditions. It sounds mostly straight forward.

"Imnaha" was a new word to me. I guess I don't know. We are going from La Grande to Joseph on the main road, and then Joseph to Baker City on the only road I know there. If I am missing something - - let me know! We have never been to any of that part of Oregon.

I'm definitely getting the idea it is "purdy" though!
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote