Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Hello please tell me where to go.

Alan from Virginia. Been staying in a nice park in Santa Paula CA this week. Gonna drive back to va now. Probably take 4 months or so. Mainly highway 50 I think. Will spend at least a month in Colorado. Suggestions welcome. Once I check my mail and clear the brush at home, I will turnaround and come back west on a new route cause what the heck else is there to do but drive back and forth til I can't no more?

Tell me where to go, I appreciate your thoughts. I like quiet places and nature and beautiful places and small towns and don't care for crowds, big cities or tourist traps.

Thank you.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Get the Allstays app for your phone or tablet. You can use it to get user reviews of places to stay on your route. It will also show you things like rv repair, truck stops, large stores like Cabelas and Walmarts...

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you Mike I will download that app. What is your favorite highway? Not the big ones like 40, 70, 80, 10, I've done those. Prefer small ones. Thank you.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
While CO seems interesting and I've got to do some fishing there, it is just not tourist free. So, proceed with care. We'll keep an open ear to what you find.

Do the 50. It is a unique experience and better than mile after mile on I80. The exception was the Utah section that seemed to be as boring as our historic trips through the desert plains. Maybe we were just ready to be down the road.

You might check out the Great Basin National Park. We moved on without the drive through we had planned, but it appears to be one of those less traveled places.

There is some interesting camping along the 128 to the East of Arches NP. The whole Moab area is very tourist intensive so you will have to look a bit to find something that matches your taste.

Sounds like some of the COE campgrounds might be interesting to you. AW posted a link, but I'm not finding it. Try this one.

https://www.recreation.gov/campgroun...agencyID=70902

Favorite highway - We saved a piece of time off our schedule between Wichita and Tucumcari. We cut the corner with HW54. It's not perfect, but worked for us. We will see if 50 or 96 works between CO and Wichita, the next time we pass through. There is a short cut in Utah between I15 and I70. HW6 is recommended as good road that saves time over the Interstate corner. We have not tried it, but will next time through.

Good Luck on your trip home. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #5
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you Pat that is a lot of interesting information to ponder. I am driving through Great Basin. there seem to be plenty of blm Land to pull off onto and make camp for a few days around those parts.

I don't mind if I take the long way or short way, long as it's interesting and "off the beaten path" so to speak. Sometimes I'll fix on a tiny town on the google map and go there just to see it. Sometimes I spend a night or 10 and sometimes I just turn around cause it ain't nothing.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:39 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I can give a second vote for Great Basin National Park. If remote, quiet, peaceful and beautiful is what you are after, you will find it at Great Basin. Also an amazing place for night skies. An International Dark Sky Park.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:03 AM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
You mentioned Colorado, if you haven't been to Red Rocks just outside of Denver, you really should go and if possible, if there is a concert playing, try to get tickets. Red Rocks is a place that musicians love to play and it really shows. It doesn't matter who, classical, jazz, rock....they all love to play there. Of course that all depends on if you are into music. Watching and listening to folks that play there is amazing, when the group is having fun and enjoying the event as much as the ticket holders it is magical. It is also a cool place just to go see even when there isn't a concert. Just an idea.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Anywhere you want to!
Take a different route every time!
I have courtesy parking in my front yard. Come stay a night or two!
Eat up some good local cuisine and then mosey on down the road...
Try to cover as many states and as many campgrounds, attractions, sights, attractions, and museums as you can.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Alan from Virginia. Been staying in a nice park in Santa Paula CA this week. Gonna drive back to va now. Probably take 4 months or so. Mainly highway 50 I think. Will spend at least a month in Colorado. Suggestions welcome. Once I check my mail and clear the brush at home, I will turnaround and come back west on a new route cause what the heck else is there to do but drive back and forth til I can't no more?

Tell me where to go, I appreciate your thoughts. I like quiet places and nature and beautiful places and small towns and don't care for crowds, big cities or tourist traps.

Thank you.
My favorite spot...Carrizozo, New Mexico....there is a little State Park there...El Malpais...

In Colorado
Rocky Mountain National Park...I like the KOA in Estes Park nearby..yes, there are tourists...but so am I.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison--just do it.
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Alan, you may find that you need to check your mail more often than every 4 months. You could consider joining Escapees RV club. It runs a good mail forwarding service @ reasonable rates. Club has a lot of members who use trailers and travel for long periods or full time RV.
Let's Roll !
Wolf. ��
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
between CA and CO and REALLY cool

https://www.nps.gov/meve/index.htm
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
U.S. Highways!

Yes I understand your desire to travel the U.S. and not be involved with the Interstate rat race! I have trucked for many years in the western half of the country. Every chance I got whether it being for a shortcut or just not a time critical load I would travel the old U.S. highways! I have been on most of them both north south and east west. This is where a lot of the history of the country happened. Nowadays a lot of them have been redone and safer than they used to be while still following the same route. I remember in the early 80s even I-80 I-15 and I-90 were about half two-lane in the western states. Some of my favorites are U.S. 160 and U.S. 550 through Colorado, U.S. 395 end to end, U.S. 95, U.S. 93, U.S. 6, U.S. 20/26 through Wyoming and Idaho and U.S. 90 across Texas. State route 140 through Nevada and Oregon is cool too! Then of course there's U.S. 2, the "Highline". Happy Travels!!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post

Tell me where to go, I appreciate your thoughts. I like quiet places and nature and beautiful places and small towns and don't care for crowds, big cities or tourist traps. Thank you.
You could take your chances on breaking an axle bouncing around on county roads and lesser used state highways, or try crossing the continent on Highway 1 through southern Canada. Drive north from Virginia and pick it up near Ottawa. You may have to put up with cities and big tourist crowds on your way there--like, for example, Niagara Falls. But once you turn onto Hy.1 just west of Ottawa, you'll travel a couple of thousand miles before you reach the next town of any size--Winnipeg (pop. 705K). There is a highway bypass around the city, though, so you don't have to stop. You'd be missing some interesting history, though. On the western end, you'll arrive in Vancouver, but population density is fairly sparse until you hit the city limits...at least by U.S. standards.

Gotta warn you, though, unless you consider Nebraska to be great scenery, that middle 1K across central Canada between Winnipeg and Calgary is not much to see.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #14
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Stan - thank you, I am very excited for Great Basin now.

Lauri - I have seen a concert at red rocks long ago and it was a surreal kind of experience. i very much enjoyed that. i always said i would go back but never did. maybe i will do it on a weekday does that park have a campground?

m. hony - thank you i have heard of courtesy parking before but i have never known how one finds such a thing. Do y'all have a registry of sorts? I would like to visit you in mississippi one day thank you.

Sherrylynne - Black Canyon of the Gunnison. I will do this.

Wolf - I thank you for your your suggestion, though I suspect I will arrive to a pile of junk that will serve as kindling for future campfires, as per usual!

mykytiukr - exactly my kind of info, thank you. Hwy 395 and 95 are two i am very interested in. I am going to take 395 up to 50 soon. Thank you.

USAtraveler -I was thinking of making 2018 canada year and doing all of canada. i have taken the airstream on plenty of back roads. i recently did a lot of exploring of california's anza borrego desert. Nebraska ain't that bad.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:29 AM   #15
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well i've been on my way and so far so good. Took hwy 126 out of santa paula to hwy 14 which turn into 395. took that up to carson city, nevada. california sure is pretty. i don't think i paid for a single night of camping yet, there's so much boondocking around those parts. next i'll spend a few weeks here in this great state of nevada on hwy 50. Looks like BLM land and dirt roads as far as these eyes can see. mighty nice.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #16
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Another thread is making me wonder if I should not do hwy 50 through Colorado in July due to hail?? Anyone have thoughts on that? Should I adjust my plans?

Thank you.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 AM   #17
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
If you stick with US 50, Vincennes IN has the Lewis and Clark Memorial. Also, it is Red Skelton's home town, with great information on his formative years.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #18
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you tvketchum that sounds great I enjoy Lewis and Clark history. I believe I will stay on 50, as I called my insurance rep and he assured me hail damage... and all other non-negligent damage like wind or trees blowing down, etc... Are covered under my comprehensive plan so I will continue as planned and not worry cause what fun is worrying?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #19
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Hello all. It's a calm and pleasant day in western Colorado. I would like to know your thoughts on this route I'm gonna take. There are several small Colorado towns I'd like to visit for a spell but they require a good deal of detouring. I'm ok with that, since I got time. I think I'm avoiding towin the trailer all the way down to Durango cause some of that route sounds hairy. But I'm thinkin that's often the case here in Colorado. So now I am gonna attempt to include a screen shot. Wish me luck. Thank you.Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-01.jpeg
Views:	722
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	287489
Old 06-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #20
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I should say I plan on stayin in each town for a while so day trips are possible.