Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2017, 05:54 AM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Yep I am also adding the Dexter lift and bigger tires for these situations.
The EB comes with 16s which is nice. Am thinking about the lift kit but we'll take it a season at a time. A few road adventures this fall after we get the rig and then we're off south with it for the winter and ease into things.

Quote:
but I'd have to back it about a 1/4 mile to the site cause there was not a turnaround.
dear god...

Quote:
Usually worth the payoff.

No doubt!
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:22 AM   #122
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandeddie View Post
The EB comes with 16s which is nice. Am thinking about the lift kit but we'll take it a season at a time. A few road adventures this fall after we get the rig and then we're off south with it for the winter and ease into things.

dear god...

No doubt!
You'll love it they're great trailers. Don't do anything to it til you've had it a while just cause someone else needs somethin don't mean you're gonna need it. Ya may love it as it is.

Backing is pretty easy once ya get used to it. Longer trailers are easier than shorter ones my 16' was harder to back than my Airstream. And this fancy airstream's gotta backup camera too, though I don't rely on it. Sometimes backing is the easiest option.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI a new update and all good news -- 89% containment:

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5298/35997/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #124
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI a new update and all good news -- 89% containment:

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5298/35997/
Thank you, Peter, these crews are amazin they've been fighting that thing with all their might since it popped up. It's cloudy today so maybe a few drops will help em get it fully wiped out. Durango was less crowded yesterday probly cause of the fire and canceled Independence Day fireworks but the Farmers Market still had plenty of folks and some good bluegrass music.

And I'm about to treat myself to another batch of this delicious Durango coffee.

Have a great mornin.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yee ha!

What kind of bluegrass? That is one of the ways we enjoyed our AS back in the 90's -- going to BG festivals all over the NE, like Falcon Ridge and Wind Gap.

Here is a thread FYI about festivals:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...ams-81543.html

We would normally not stay right at the festival -- too crowded and noisy -- but find a CG nearby.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #126
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I'm not sure of their name they were 5 young guys just doing your standard bluegrass pickin which I enjoy. Thank you for that festival link, we have some great bluegrass in Virginia, there is a guitar​ maker in Charlotesville called Rockbridge that makes beautiful instruments for some very famous people.

I enjoy a good festival and agree it is best not to bring a trailer into those unless ya enjoy listenin to drunk folks all night long.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yep your last sentence says it all. Tried it once, never again!

We are aiming to go south in the fall, and will be looking for music and sights to see, if life does not get in the way with family schedules and all. Might try that Verona campground I mentioned earlier, with some great sites right on the bank of a small river. We backed over the embankment, so the rear BR was almost above the water. [edit -- Post #6 of your Escape This Wind thread for my future reference]

Nice!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #128
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I have heard great things about that park I think you will love it that time of year.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks. Curious whether you are going to sprint back to Virginia, to miss the heat and crowds now that schools are out, or maybe head for national forests like Ouchita, Ozark, Mark Twain, Chattahoochee, and Nantahala, which are kind of on the way home? Your boondocking has got me very interested in spending less time in campgrounds, I have to say. In summer heat, however, we might miss the AC, or are you set up to run yours with a genny? In a forest, if you are near water for swimming that could fit the bill!

Thanks again for a great thread, have a good Fourth.

Peter
Old 07-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #130
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Nope I do not sprint, I take my time, I'm in no hurry. I do a good job of avoidin crowds and I do plan on stopping in many of the places you have just listed. Y'all can still keep telling me where to go!

I love bein away from everythin ya just gotta be safe and love the outdoors and solitude. I ain't got a generator, just my lil solar panel to charge my phone and keep my batteries full when I use fans and lights and the fridge and such and I listen to music all the time. I use the furnace sometimes but only under 45 degrees and only in the mornin when I wake up.

I grew up without ac in the south so I have a high tolerance for heat and humidity and I had family in Tucson all my life so I know that kinda heat too. I do pretty well over 40 and under 105. After that I start to wanna plug.

Thank you, Peter, it is always nice chattin with ya you have a great 4th too.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #131
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Happy Independence Day y'all, hope ya have a safe one.

I'll be headin off to Pagosa Springs tomorrow... back on the road.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Looks like you will have some cooler weather in the Ohio Valley starting around St. Louis by Saturday. You can Stop this loop and use the arrows to see the Min/Max temps for the next 3-7 days (as labeled in the lower left corner):

http://origin.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/min_max_loop.html

The POP Probability of Precipitation drops in that area for the same time period, which makes sense as a cold front is probably coming down from Canada with some Jet Stream Polar Vortex action:

http://origin.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/poploop24hr.html

You are probably going to head east more slowly, but this is a good map to use in general planning. Let me know if you need any info researched while you are on the road. Thanks again for a great thread and insights on boondocking.

Stay safe . . .

Peter

PS -- I did notice Ray's following comment in his Boondocking thread about an area you may be heading toward FYI.

[click on arrow to go to that thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
. . .
The Ozarks provide heat and humidity, but the campgrounds along the Arkansas / Missouri border provide cool creeks and streams to float your inner tubes.
. . .
Old 07-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #133
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you very much, Peter, this is very helpful information and great links and I appreciate your offer to help out you've been very helpful already.

I have enjoyed travelin with y'all in my pocket.

I will take a look at Ray's suggestions, I'm lookin forward to the next month as I get closer to Virginia!

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #134
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Travlin' Man,

If you do get into the Ozark area, you might find Mountain Home, Arkansas worth a stop. The main attraction is music. A lot of old-time mountain music is played on the town square in the evening. I don't know about opportunities to boondock near there, however.

If you come through Tennessee, the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area is worth a visit. It is on the TN/KY border on the northern Cumberland Plateau. It's a relativly unknown gem, especially if you don't make it back here until early Fall.

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #135
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
Travlin' Man,

If you do get into the Ozark area, you might find Mountain Home, Arkansas worth a stop. The main attraction is music. A lot of old-time mountain music is played on the town square in the evening. I don't know about opportunities to boondock near there, however.

If you come through Tennessee, the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area is worth a visit. It is on the TN/KY border on the northern Cumberland Plateau. It's a relativly unknown gem, especially if you don't make it back here until early Fall.

Richard
Thank you very much, Richard. I am a big fan of mountain music I grew up on good ol fashioned bluegrass and it always makes me feel I'm home no matter where I am.

I'm not picky about boondockin, I enjoy a good RV park, state park, rest stop, Walmart parkin lot, side street or anything else dependin on where I am. That's what I love about this life. Ain't gotta stick with just one type of livin.

I appreciate your suggestion and will be sure to make a stop.

I have actually been to big south fork and I agree with you.it is excellent. I am hopin to make it to Virginia by mid-September.

Thank you. Y'all have made this trip even.more enjoyable.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #136
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Slow movin today folks... hard to leave this view...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170704_184540.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	288749  
Old 07-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Copy that!

And the photo in Post #110 is also great in showing the AS and vista. Is that the gas pipeline clear cut on the left of today's photo?

Funny, I had noticed Mountain Home AR on the map as being a possible stopping point for you.

By the way if you feel like posting any favorite bluegrass road songs, please visit the OTRA Music Channel I thread. I think there are already a couple of BG tunes there.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...-i-143331.html

Safe travels . . .

Peter

PS -- Rodeo Cowboy by New Vintage is in Post #242 of the OTRA Music thread -- click on arrow in quote to go there.

Yee Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
On the drive out to HHSP this morning, this old favorite tune came up -- nice beat and a catchy phrase which always gets me.
[referring to a bull-rider up on the bull -- ready for a ride]:

" . . . 'cause he sees things more clearly when that chute is open wide . . . " [2:15]

Yes!
. . .
Old 07-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #138
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Ha!

Yes, Peter, that is a natural gas pipeline which is great cause I just stick a spear in it and I have infinite power.

Kiddin. But yes it is the pipeline. The cows love that grass.

I will take a look at that thread, thank you Peter.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm amazed you have phone service or internet!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #140
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Molly's dad I use an app called 'Coverage?' that I find incredibly accurate, though they claim you should not rely on them. I also have a booster for my truck but not yet for the RV. I am thinkin maybe I can quick connect it to both somehow but haven't started that project. It is important to me so I can answer when my son calls.

I am always quite happy with Verizon's coverage, the west can be iffy but east of Colorado they have nearly every inch covered.