Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The trip down to Creede looks tough. If you don't want to do 550 down to Durango, because it is too twisty, you might consider doing Creede from the East. We have only done 550, so we don't really know how difficult 149 is. Hopefully you will get the word from someone who has made the trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #22
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The trip down to Creede looks tough. If you don't want to do 550 down to Durango, because it is too twisty, you might consider doing Creede from the East. We have only done 550, so we don't really know how difficult 149 is. Hopefully you will get the word from someone who has made the trip. Pat
Thank you, Pat. I should say I spoke with the forest service and the Colorado dot and both didn't seem to think any of these roads would be a problem as long as I take it slow and careful. When I told them I was gonna avoid the road from ouray to Durango, they both said 'the 18 wheelers take that road all the time with no problem'. Course, they're probably more used to mountain drivin. But it sounds like it's all doable at a slow, steady pace.

Maybe I need to add a bumper sticker to the back of the airstream that says 'sorry, you're not in a hurry are ya?'

TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There are threads about towing in that region, which should allay some of your concerns.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...co-165398.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ngo-34877.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...do-120285.html

We used to have a 25' and I would have felt fine taking it on any of the routes discussed above.

Have fun!

Peter

PS -- Yes -- "But it sounds like it's all doable at a slow, steady pace"

PS2 -- "Creede towing" search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cree...=airforums.com
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ing-79300.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #24
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you! After reading that first thread, im gonna take 141 which sounds great and means I'll be seein more and doin less backtrackin.

This forum sure is a helpful thing for me.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Much of 550 below Montrose is lower speed - 25 mph for stretches, because of the sharp u-turns to get around the canyon crags and the narrow roadway. So no need for a bumper sticker. Pat

Edit - 141 looks interesting. Should be fun. Have a nice trip.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Hello all. It's a calm and pleasant day in western Colorado. I would like to know your thoughts on this route I'm gonna take. There are several small Colorado towns I'd like to visit for a spell but they require a good deal of detouring. I'm ok with that, since I got time. I think I'm avoiding towin the trailer all the way down to Durango cause some of that route sounds hairy. But I'm thinkin that's often the case here in Colorado. So now I am gonna attempt to include a screen shot. Wish me luck. Thank you.Attachment 287489
I used to vacation in the Montrose area every year and it's my favorite place on Earth. The roads you outlined are all good. I'd make Crested butte a day trip, since there's no (good) way out except to turn around.
I think I'd avoid 550 from Ouray to Durango unless you're an experienced mountaineer. Yes, semi's do it all day, but it still takes my breath away, being a flatlander. I had a friend stay over, and they couldn't go over 20 mph! They asked, "Why is everyone flipping me off?" "Um, maybe because you're going 20 mph?" I have other friends who I sent south from Ouray, and they turned around after a couple miles. The road is great, but no guardrails and scary drop-offs.
Don't over look Ridgway, home of the True Grit Cafe.
Also, consider 92 north from Blue Mesa Reservoir. It's a beautiful drive. You can pull into the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and later continue to Crawford and go past Joe Cocker's home (RIP).

I always entered Montrose from the north, I-70 to Grand Junction. In Fruita is a great campground, state park near The Colorado Monument.
Between Montrose and Ouray I recommend Centennial Campground. Nice people, big spaces, reasonable prices.
(Or at least they used to be)

Since you'll have a TV, unhook and take the 42 mile road up to Owl Creek Pass and Silver Jack reservoir. Many places were filmed for the real True Grit, and it's beautiful and peaceful. Ask anyone for directions, but it starts just north of Ridgway and comes out near the Black Canyon.

And! Highway 141. A beautiful road through a long canyon.
Easy and almost untravelled.

If you want to get to Durango, I'd say take 149 from Blue Mesa reservoir south. You still cross a pass, but I don't recall any death defying moments. But then I was on a motorcycle. And Lake City is worth a stop.

I'd spend a month there, and it was never enough.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Take a look at https://www.campendium.com for camping suggestions and reviews. I know the couple who run this website, they are also full-time Airstreamers.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #28
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Molly's dad thank you I appreciate this large amount of information and I will probably spend a month here too, it is great. I spent today filling up on cherries, plums and apricots and a couple not quite yet in season Colorado peaches.

I will take a look at campendium, thank you andreasduess. I do a lot of BLM and forest camping.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #29
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Me. In Colorado.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170616_114816-01-01.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	287694  
Old 06-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Me.Jealous

Quote:
Me. In Colorado.
Looks like you are having a great time. I hope to get back there next summer! Safe travels!
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Molly's dad thank you I appreciate this large amount of information and I will probably spend a month here too, it is great.
Just in time for the sweet corn festival in Olathe! Best sweet corn I've ever had. You'll see pickups on the side of the road and in towns, can't go wrong.
(Olathe is just a tad north of Montrose)
I'm jealous. Maybe next year.
Oh, in Ouray, go visit the glassblower if he's still there. Last time I was there, he had a daughter in law school, so he probably is still there. He chats with you while he blows glass behind the store.
If you venture into Silverton, stop at the saloon and ask if Lacy Black is still playing piano. She drives every day from Durango. I was amazed at her laid back playing, and she told me she knew 500 songs by heart. Upright honky tonk piano she owns (I think).
There's a million stories, and it's a wonderful area.
Near Telluride is the ghost town of Ophir. Nikola Tesla had a lab there and wired the town. Darn near burned it to the ground using AC when everyone was pushing DC. Hadn't quite worked the bugs out.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #32
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
This is very helpful information, Mollysdad, thank you!
Old 06-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #33
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrylynne View Post
Looks like you are having a great time. I hope to get back there next summer! Safe travels!
Thank you, sherrylynne, it is very nice out in the Dominguez-Escalante wilderness today.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Me. In Colorado.
My god, that's beautiful! I guess noisy neighbors aren't a problem, except a coyote.
Speaking of wildlife, the last time I was in the campground at Ridgway State Park, there was a warning about a mountain lion wandering the area, and be careful. I guess!
Old 06-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #35
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My god, that's beautiful! I guess noisy neighbors aren't a problem, except a coyote.
Speaking of wildlife, the last time I was in the campground at Ridgway State Park, there was a warning about a mountain lion wandering the area, and be careful. I guess!
Oh yes there are plenty of creatures out here, I had a lone mule deer visit camp this morning, she was a beauty but my rattlesnake neighbor didn't like her one bit, so she went on her way. They've got mountain lions in all these parts from Cali to Colorado. Those cats claim territories from 20 to more than 100 square miles! They got bears too. But like ya say I'll I can do is be as careful as I can be.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #36
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Enjoying following your travels, keep up the posts. I take it you are boon docking. What area? Looks awesome.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Thank you, sherrylynne, it is very nice out in the Dominguez-Escalante wilderness today.
Looks great! Thanks for the posts.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:02 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Travlin' Man,

I have spent a lot of time in CO over the years and still love the area around Leadville. It's an ugly little town, surrounded by the state's highest mountains. North of there, on the north side of Tennessee Pass, is a nice USFS campground at Camp Hale. If you get tired of the high country (Leadville is over 10,000 ft) you can head down toward Beuna Vista and/or Salida. We also enjoy the area around Creede, a picturesque old mining town. We have stayed a couple of times at Bristol Head Campground, a Forest Service place about 20 miles beyond Creede, if you come from South Fork. If you are still around in August, maybe we will run into you.

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #39
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
That is very nice advice, I appreciates it, Richard. Thank you. I believe I will have left Colorado by July's end but ya never know. Safe travels.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #40
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
So now the question just comes down to what good to see, as I know I can tow through red mountain pass. I skipped black canyon of the Gunnison cause I was gonna do it on my way back... Should I stick with that and head to creede back the way I came and see that park? Or should I head to creede via 160 through pagosa springs and make it a loop? I'd miss black canyon of the Gunnison if I did that but I'd see Durango and pagosa springs.

So if ya had a choice... Black canyon of the Gunnison or Durango & Pagosa Springs? I'm leaning toward the np.

Thank you.