Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #301
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Ha, thanks y'all. No rain here right now but it would take a lotta rain for this river to swallow me up. Ain't impossible, but highly unlikely. Plus I like a lil bit o danger, it's good for the blood flow. Course rain could soften the bed and make it harder to get out but that would just mean an extra few days in this lil slice-o-heaven.

I actually drove through Deer, it was a strange place cause they had signs for a mile or two for their 'overlook' and a real nice, level spot to pull over at the 'overlook' but the overlook was of some telephone poles and a field with some hey in it. (?) I would love to see that point there in that hike but I think I'm gonna head to Mountain View today cause I'm less than an hour away now and they got a bluegrass jam goin at the RV park there tonite.

That is... If I can get myself to leave this spot!
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #302
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
yukon , Oklahoma
Dodge city kansas
Old 07-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #303
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Amazing, you are demonstrating that Airstreams really are land yachts, 'cause you had to come down a boat ramp and park on the river bottom!

Great photos . . .

When I zoomed in on the Google satellite views of the Buffalo, I wondered about spots like yours, but the water must have been higher when the data was gathered. Does your spot have a place name for that stretch of the river? Was that the Tyler Bend Visitor Center? I see see some campsites and trailers near it. Also see a "Grinder's Ferry" spot to the east. Funny that there were probably ferries across the Buffalo way back in the days of folks needing to cross the river with their horses, and maybe carriages? Have you seen any float trips go rafting by, or is the river too low?

Talk about solitude . . . and do you have a cell phone signal there?

Thanks again for the update, and have fun!

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Sorry for all the questions, this whole process is fascinating! Feel free to disregard and have fun.
Hi Peter. Yup it was the Tyler Bend Viator's Center.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170730_131800-01.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	290937

They ain't so helpful when it comes to dispersed campin and they any got much to look at but they do have a big ol campgrund there. It is real manicured with lots of mowed grass and a paved loop road and a lot of campsites and even though it was empty it felt too much like a city park to me.

Grinders Ferry is the place I camped. It is one of three places that ya can get to the bed of the river. There is also apparently some boondockin to be had in Woolum but they said there ain't any water there at all.

There is a sheet that says where RVs are allowed but it fails to mention this place and a couple others.

Folks have been floatin by on kayaks and canoes and a couple folks have come by to fish or swim. Everyone is real nice and friendly round here. And yup I got 2 bars of Verizon 4g.

Have a great day.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #304
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpershall View Post
Dodge city kansas
Thank you gpershall, I actually just recently left Dodge City and had a very nice time there, thank you for your recommendation, come drop into the thread when ya want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #305
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Thank you, NavyCorpsman. I'm realizin there's more to do in Arkansas than I had thought! So I'm gonna get back here real soon for longer to explore some more and I will definitely make a stop at Petit Jean. I may even do it in October on my way back to the west. Thank you for the recommendation, I appreciate it.
We will back up there on Wednesday. PM your address and I can send you some hard copy brochures of some incredible places to see and enjoy.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #306
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well folks, I requested the late check-out at TravlinMan's Buffalo River Airstream Resort so I could take a lazy noon-time swim and it was very nice. Boy did I enjoy that spot on the river.

On my way to Mountain View, I stopped at Rock n Java for some coffee and an excellent view.

Name:	20170731_125512-01.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	291017
And I stopped in Leslie for some freshly baked bread right outta the stone oven. Makin sandwiches with this bread and the smoked meat from St. Joe is like eatin lil pieces-o-heaven.

Name:	20170731_122856-01.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	291018
So now, I am camped just a few feet away from the entrance to the Ozark Folk Center in Mountain View, Arkansas. Some folks here had a nice lil jam at the park last night and I'm lookin forward to hearing some great music today.

Name:	20170731_162228-01.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	291019

Y'all have a great one!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #307
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If you get to Hot Springs, AR, check out the GodFather pizza at Rod's Pizza Cellar. Former in-laws own and run the place.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #308
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Glad the management at the BRAR was able to accommodate the late departure. What a spot that was . . .

Enjoy the music!

Yee Hah!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #309
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
What an interesting place Mountain View is, I certainly ain't been anywhere like this before. First off, there is indeed music everywhere. I wake up to folks just pickin outside my trailer and they're pickin in the room that has free coffee and they're pickin downtown in the square and then there's the folk center next door where there is still more pickin to be heard.

It's all local folks. There ain't any huge names and most of em ain't even bands. Today's band at the Folk Center is a band called here comes trouble and they are very good. As ya can see, they ain't quite toured the world yet! Ha!

Name:	20170802_104805-01.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	291157

Name:	20170802_102026-01-01.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	291158

Those kids played all day from 10am to just now.

They play in an old kinda village in the state park that is $12 but $10 if ya stay at the RV Park and it has some exhibits and lots of old timey craft shops.

Name:	20170802_104620-01.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	291159

Name:	20170802_105242-01.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	291160

So it's real nice just staying at this park and just wanderin around hearin mountain music everyhwere. But I fear for this place cause, as ya can tell by the pictures, there ain't a lotta people here! I believe they are in some sort of political/generational transition that is causin part of it. I love havin it all to myself but that can't be good for the local economy.

This place could really be a capitol for folk and bluegrass but some 'change has gotta come' as they say. We went through it in Virginia and we still are. Upper South is a complicated place.

But I am very glad to have come here, it is a fascinating place with very talented pickers and a very relaxing place to be as well. Thank you, Richard, for your recommendation!
Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 AM   #310
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
What is the name of the campground? We plan to hit Mt. View in early September.

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:16 AM   #311
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here Comes Trouble!

https://www.facebook.com/MountainVie...67168713366549

Nice, and heartening that there is so much local action. Would like to visit the area some day.

Glad Mountain View is working out. Thanks for the update!

Cheers,

Peter
Old 08-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #312
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
What is the name of the campground? We plan to hit Mt. View in early September.

Richard
The RV Park is called Ozark RV Park. There are lotsa RV Parks around town but the Ozark RV park has a gate that goes straight into the folk center. Also, there was a folk jam on Monday nite, a potluck on Tuesday nite and there will be a gospel breakfast on Sunday mornin. And they put the local paper at my trailer door every mornin.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:07 AM   #313
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
The RV Park is called Ozark RV Park. There are lotsa RV Parks around town but the Ozark RV park has a gate that goes straight into the folk center. Also, there was a folk jam on Monday nite, a potluck on Tuesday nite and there will be a gospel breakfast on Sunday mornin. And they put the local paper at my trailer door every mornin.
That is sure one inviting place to visit! Are you staying put through Sunday for all the musical action on Saturday night, or Travlin' on?

Curious to know which way the wind is blowing, as there are some great forests down the road . . . but first . . . crossing the Ol' Miss' . . .

Travel safe.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 08-04-2017, 05:10 AM   #314
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Peter I'm gonna stay till Sunday cause they got a concert in the square and they have got a gospel breakfast at the park.

I have been lookin for a way to camp on the Mississippi... There doesn't seem to be a whole lotta boondockin options there but I did see a campground at Trail of Tears state park that has sites on the river. Anyone know wbiut that place?

I think it would be nice.to camp on the Mississippi for a night, don't ya think?
Old 08-04-2017, 06:16 AM   #315
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds good, that's why I mentioned the Miss, yes it would be great to find a site there. With your nose for finding places, would not be surprised if there was some abandoned village that is available. Not a joke, remember over the last couple of decades, there being floods which caused whole areas to be relocated? Bet the remains are still there, or maybe turned into reserves? You'd think the Corps. folks would have info on this IMO. Probably low on the radar but there somewhere . . .

Will check it out later, off to babysit the GC . . .

Old 08-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #316
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
The OP is braver than I am. I would never ask "Where should I go?" I'm afraid someone would tell me!
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #317
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Are you talking about Trail of Tears SP down by Cape Girardeau Mo? I've been by it many times on motorcycles, but haven't ever pulled in. You are getting into the flat lands over there. Still some nice roads along the Mississippi with bluff views. I would think there'd be some place to boondock along the river. Maybe some of the levies along the river are on Corp ground.
Are you going to come up into Mark Twain NF before you head east?

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #318
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Sounds good, that's why I mentioned the Miss, yes it would be great to find a site there. With your nose for finding places, would not be surprised if there was some abandoned village that is available. Not a joke, remember over the last couple of decades, there being floods which caused whole areas to be relocated? Bet the remains are still there, or maybe turned into reserves? You'd think the Corps. folks would have info on this IMO. Probably low on the radar but there somewhere . . .

Will check it out later, off to babysit the GC . . .

Hmm.... Well looks like it's time to do some sniffin! Enjoy the GC, I hope my son gives me one someday, I think it'd be good for him.

Gettinaway yes it is the one by Cape Girardeau. It does look like it gets a lil flatter over there but I gotta keep heading east cause that's where Virginia is, ha! But yes I do plan on stoppin through Mark Twain cause it looks real nice and it seems to be along my route. I'm gonna ask around about Mississippi River boondockin and see what I can find..... and then I still plan on trying to go through Shawnee and Daniel Boone before I head home but ya never know what'll happen!

Thank you.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #319
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
The OP is braver than I am. I would never ask "Where should I go?" I'm afraid someone would tell me!
Ha! Well, if ya ever met my wife you would know I'm used to it!

Thanks for stoppin in.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #320
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I see there is a Mountain View MO which is north of you on the way to Mark Twain NF, with a place called Eminence just to the NE. At that point the forest seems to take over a bit, as there are fewer roads on the map. Also, Cape Girardeau is east of Eminence, and is on the way to Paducah and Shawnee NF, which is in the path of the eclipse on 8/21, a little over 2 weeks away. [Post #282 has a few state maps]

Eminence -- for some reason the name caught my eye over the last few weeks as having a nice ring to it. The PO has been there since 1844, so there might be some interesting historical stuff around. Sounds like a nice place to see or maybe stay nearby IMO:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminence,_Missouri

Going east from Eminence on 106 takes you to Ellington, where Road "K" then takes you east over what looks like some pretty rugged terrain IMO crossing a few ridges and valleys/rivers, before arriving in Annapolis. You go north of Clearwater Lake, an area which includes Highway K campground:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/h...O&parkId=71205

Not sure if your rig will work on Highway K but the satellite view of the area looks pretty nice!

https://www.google.com/maps/search/h...6!2d37.2417147

More later . . . enjoy the music this weekend!

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Eminence CG: http://www.circlebcampground.com/index.html

. . . including pickin' and jammin' at the museum on some upcoming nights:

http://www.circlebcampground.com/calendarevents.html