Old 07-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #197
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
What's between Cimarron and KC? Hmmmm . . . Dodge City then 350 miles of feedlots on some even lonelier roads? Speaking of the feedlots, how has the stench been?
I always tell my daughter "that's the smell of money". I usually get a little grin and a roll of the eyes from her!

Love the pictures of the grasslands. I will have to visit the Cimmaron area in Kansas someday as I love the grasslands of the Dakota's.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #198
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Pat - it's been my philosophy in life pretty much. I learned some years ago that life will take ya where ya need to be if ya let it. Thank you.

Peter - great! Now that song is stuck in my head. Watching that was great fun and brings back memories. Thank you! I should play that while I'm travelin along the next dirt road.....

Crispyboy it's a very interesting area. The grasslands here in Kansas are quite small compared to the ones in the Dakota's, they don't take long to see but if you're in the area they are worth the stop and this campground is very nice.

Where next?

Well, I gotta grab those cables from Garden City cause that's why I went to Kansas. I figured I'd stop down here and make my way back up to Garden City and continue along 50 but now I'm startin to get interested in these southern parts.... I think I'm gonna stick with the hwy 50 plan for now and keep goin up through Missouri and Illinois and then when hwy 50 veers up toward Ohio, I'll head through Kentucky home to Virginia. Somethin like that. Cause I got an appointment at JC in late September and I wanna stop at home before that. So that gives me a few more weeks to explore and then I can see the rest of hwy 50 when I go to JC, I've already seen most of the eastern parts since I grew up near warrenton.

And then I figure I can head back down here and see Oklahoma and Arkansas on my way back to California where I will spend winter in the desert and then I'll come back to Virginia across the north through Canada and Montana and the Dakotas and such.

So I guess that's my 'plan'? Ha! I'm sure it will change tomorrow. I usually try to follow the weather but sometimes I just end up doin the opposite!

Thank you.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #199
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
We recently stayed at Breaks Interstate Park which may be a place for you to go on your way home. This is a shared park between KY an Virginia though Virginia actually runs the park. Lots of good hiking in the area, very rugged and deep terrain.
You may want to check out some Corp of Engineer campgrounds on your way back - there are several here in KY that are nice places to stay.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #200
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you crispyboy I do believe COE campgrounds are a good way of campin and I will be visiting some for certain.

Folks don't let anyone discourage ya from visiting Kansas, it's a real interesting place. It ain't Montana or California but it's a sight to see.

I enjoy driving down small endless roads with nothin but farmland. They have a good feel to them. I went out of the grasslands through Rolla and then I took Road D to Liberal. Yup. Just road D. It was a nice lil farm road for 30 or so miles.

So now I'm in Liberal, Kansas. It's another interesting place. It's got Wizard of Oz tributes everywhere. Dorothy is on every corner and they got 'her house' by the tourist center with a yellow brick road and a shop and some diplays and a young lady dressed as Dorothy showin ya around. It was somethin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170717_135504-01.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	289732

Name:	20170717_135602.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	289733

Their main road hwy 54 is called pancake street cause they got this real eccentric tradition of havin a pancake run against a town in England and seeing who can run the fastest and flip a pancake? Like I said before I can't make this stuff up.

Name:	20170717_143543-01.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	289736

So I'm endin my day and I see a trailer park that looks just ok and I keep on goin towards garden city and just 8 miles north of central liberal is a park called Arkalon Park. This park is about a mile down a dirt road but it has catch and release fishin, nice bathrooms, a dump station, vending machines and a nice camp host and folks it is $5 for water hookup campin and $15 for water and electric. I went fancy and spent the extra $10 for electric. Check out is 4pm. That's pretty nice too. But only gettin service with my booster there's some sorta interference here.

And that was my day in Liberal, Kansas.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170717_193825-01.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	289740  
Old 07-18-2017, 02:35 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Arkalon Park is exactly the kind of CG we enjoyed finding on our R/T to CA in the 90's. A real nice place to rest appearing just when you need it! Thanks for the report and photos.

"You are still in Kansas, Toto . . . "

Old 07-18-2017, 07:03 AM   #202
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
TravelinMan, if you really are ok with lots and lots of gravel, like the Trans Americsn Trail link I sent you. I'll send a link to the Continental Divide Trail. Goes from Canada to Mexico, following the Continental Divide. It's as much gravel at can be found, and includes a lot of scenic byways etc..
Old 07-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #203
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you GettinAway, I would love it. This double axle trailer handles gravel roads pretty well though it's gotten a couple dimples from the truckn throwin rocks at it. I wouldn't say they are a problem. I just love explorin these backcountry roads. There so much history on most of em and I've seen so much of this great countries history that way.

Speakin of which, there's just a lot more to Kansas than meets the eye if ya just drive through it on 70 like I've done before. Today I drove to that park we all found in Lakin. I took a route that was really fascinating through Hickock, Ryus and Ulysses. These are the three towns that are barely left outta dozens. Ryus is especially sparse and the buildings that remain are straight out of the movies.

Name:	20170718_144440-01.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	289802

I wish I had take more pictures but I was just pokin around and tryin to comprehend what I was seein cause the giant grain elevators mixed in with the tiny abandoned bars and liquor stores, school, motels, ranches are a rare sight. Those grain elevators are the only thing keeping these towns alive but barely.

Anyhow, I'm at the park now and it's just great. It's over 100 outside but in my trailer it's nice and cool for just $10/nite. I don't even have a neighbor.

Name:	20170718_162944.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	289803
Old 07-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #204
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Here's a grain elevator I took a picture of in Syracuse, KS. They're everywhere and they are massive.

Name:	20170715_162402-01.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	289804

And here's some more info on those towns I told ya about...
http://www.legendsofkansas.com/grantcountytowns.html
Old 07-19-2017, 05:32 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Fascinating history from the legends link in your last post. Thanks. The old map that pops up show the North Fork of the Cimarron River just south of Ulysses. "Hmmmm . . " -- I thought -- "isn't the Cimarron River much further south?"

And sure enough it is mainly to the south:

As you say, a great way to learn about the history of the wild west's taming through all these old and mostly forgotten places. Also interesting that the satellite view of your location shows an amazing number of circular fields, and green area which shadows the Cimarron south of Ulysses IMO, plus plenty of irrigation obviously.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ul...4d-101.3551696

Thanks!

Travel safe,

Peter
Old 07-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
A good visual overview of the territory -- both ahead of and behind you. Amazing how the canal system in the east led to the Ohio, Mississippi, and Missouri Rivers, then to the Santa Fe Trail. All before trains and roads of course.

Are there any unusual boondocking opportunities near the Ohio River as you head east? Guessing it is too crowded generally near any river, but there may some out-of-the-way spots.

Have fun!

Peter

Map from this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe_Trail
Old 07-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Here's a few routes. One is for sale, but with a little research you can find gps tracks floating around for free.
This first one is called, "Heart of the West Adventure Route." It used to be called the "Forever West Adventure Route" but they ran into copyright issues with the state of WY. I did most of this on a motorcycle several years ago. It follows the Oregon Trail, Continental Divide, and Pony Express routes. It's a blast. It is also a circular track, so you end up where you started.
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...dabout.845500/

This second one is the Continental Divide Ride, it's the one running from Canada to Mexico, following the continental divide. (Most folks run it from south to north. I believe you can get a earlier start that way.) This is a ride report from a guy that is extremely thorough on reporting about the areas he rides through. He also links to his gps tracks, should you want to take the same trip. I intend to ride the northern section from Canada to Colorado later this summer.
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...e-solo.603076/

Hope these help. They have some pretty rough sections. Places I definitely would NOT take my 23FC. (Even after I get it lifted.)

They both include some four wheel drive sections, mountain passes etc.. That very few trailers could go through.

Still enjoying your trip! Stay cool! We are getting hammered by heat and humidity this week here in Missouri.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #208
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you Peter and GettinAway.

Peter, I believe there may be some boondocking opportunities in those parts, I'm not quite sure but I agree with ya that the satellite view of these areas I'm in is very interesting. I tried to see the circles from the ground but they are so large ya can't really make em out when you're next to em.

Gettinaway, I am also liftin my trailer but yes I understand there are many roads that would not be smart to tow through. I will take a look at your links and see if some of it might be doable cause I do sure love explorin parts like those!

It's pretty hot here in Kansas too but I'm staying comfortable. Every time I plug this trailer in I feel like I'm at the Ritz-Carlton!

Y'all have a great day!
Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #209
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I thought of Travlin man when I read this:
http://http://www.doityourselfrv.com...nality-traits/
Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #210
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I thought of Travlin man when I read this:
http://http://www.doityourselfrv.com...nality-traits/
That was a great read Mollysdad, I am humbled that ya thought of me and I appreciate it!

I feel that is a great way of describin what it takes but I think anyone can do it. Ya just gotta adapt!

Thank you.