Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hedwig's first trip

Well we had a successful first trip with Hedwig. Thanks to maxandgeorgia for the first trip karma. It must have helped.

About 160 miles round trip from COS to one mile North East of Tarryall Reservoir. Mostly paved road except where the Tarryall road is coming apart and reverting to gravel, and the last mile. Good thing the TV is 4x4 as I needed it in two spots on the back road to get Hedwig into the site. We boondocked for two nights departing COS on Friday AM, and had just run out of fresh water about noon on Sunday. Took lots of photos will post two of them. Went fishing for the first time in 13 years, hooked into one trout and turned two more over in the stream above Tarryall lake. Using what Jay Patterson called a girdle bug. I think Jay developed that pattern about 50 years ago.

Got 10 MPG from COS to Divide, uphill most of the way, and 15.7 MPG for the rest of the trip. The TV gets about 16 MPG around town and 18 on the Hwy when not towing. The Equal-i-zer hitch worked great, didn't notice any sway even with a cross wind on the way home.

On the way out I told Karen we had better stop at Garden of the Gods for a photo, just to prove we went camping even if we got no further than Manitou Springs. The first photo is in the GofG's parking lot and the second one is of the camp site we spent two nights at. Slept great, ate too much, hiked a little but mostly just lounged and enjoyed. May take Hedwig to SD for family Reunion July 4th.

Systems worked fine except for a brake squeal on the way home. Turned down the gain a little on the Prodigy, still good brakes but no squeal. I will have to take the drum off and look inside again.

And now a question. Do you leave the fresh system, tank and lines, full between trips or do you store drained, and refill just before the next trip? We will get out about once or twice per month during the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARGgog.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	39939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argfirst camp site.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	39940  

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Royce- What fun! Thank you for sharing your first trip out with us! Great photos. Can't wait to see a few more. When we boondock we empty all the tanks as soon as we can. For one thing I don't want to be lugging around extra weight when I don't have to. With the fresh water tank we always keep it empty till needed. If we are rallying and there is water there we just leave the tank empty.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
wow!

Cool set up.... most would say "no" to the Jeep, but obviously, it works! Great MPG too!

Regarding the tanks... we usually just leave the lines full, and I empty the fresh tank after we get back.... usually. You could also leave it full, and then empty and refill just prior to going... one thought is that the water doesn't let moss or alge grow in the tank when it's in there, and then you get rid of the stale stuff and refill prior... OR, I just empty the thing and think that the dry air will prevent growth. Take your pick.

Using the toilet on the way to our new destination gets rid of the stale water in the lines on the way to then next place.

I have to say though, that we don't usually drink from the fresh tank... other than brushing the teeth and cooking. I use bottled water for drinking with.

Great rig!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I have to say though, that we don't usually drink from the fresh tank... other than brushing the teeth and cooking. I use bottled water for drinking with.

Great rig!
Marc
Mark- We used to lug around bottled water also but I got tired of paying for water and the extra weight. Hey two more steaks is always better than two bottle of water. I installed an onboard water filtration system from our fresh water tank to a special faucet. Real sweet.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
_

. , .
looks like a great maiden voyage...

that area is on my summer radar.

how did that trout taste?

i almost always refill the tanks at trips end and for storage....

when frequently cycled i filter the water going into the tank and again at the faucet.

when filling for storage i opt for straight city water....

while i do carry bottled water and avoid filling at REALLY crappy sites like moraine view in illinois...

the tank water is regularly consumed...

i find having water available in the unit all the time useful.

might need a drink or need to wash something or flush.

also it's my belief the lines/tanks/pump/fixtures do better wet than dry.

look forward to the photos royce...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
looks like a great maiden voyage...

that area is on my summer radar.

how did that trout taste?

cheers
2air'
2air,

Thanks for asking. Can't say about the trout flavor. I really don't like the taste of fish and will eat them if served only to be polite. I have found that with trout if you mash the barb down on the hook they will usually release them selves if given a little slack. That way you don't even have to remove them from the water. I just invite them up for a look, thank them for the play time, and bid a good day.

The road NE from the Tarryall is FR143 and the camp site is almost exactly one mile from the pavement. I would not recomend taking anything larger than a single axel back in there, and for sure go no further as the road gets very rough much beyond the camp site.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I leave whatever is in there, there. Then refill prior to my next trip.
Not that it is the right way, that's just how I have always done it, and why change now? :-)
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sounds like a great trip. Let's see more pictures.

On our white water system, we leave what's there and add to it. When we fill it or top it off, we always use a known source with the city water filter.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Cool set up.... most would say "no" to the Jeep, but obviously, it works! Great MPG too!

Great rig!
Marc
I was next to a guy with a 72 once. His owner's manual showed one being towed by a Dodge Dart! Attmitedly, you could get a Dart with a 340, but very light.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Thanks to all for looking and thanks for the responce to how to handle fresh water between trips. I looked through the photos and there are several of interest, this is the only one that may be worth posting. It is of a lightning strike tree. All burned out on one side. There were several in the area but we didn't get a light show the two nights we enjoyed there. Hedwig in the background middle.

Add on edit: I had a chance to speak with the 3rd owner. Turns out we may be number 6 or number 7 not number 4 as I had thought. First owner passed on prior to being able to use the coach. Second owner towed her to the oil patch, you can guess the result of that. Third owner was a rescue, new carpet, drapes, paint, and comode. Must have been the forth or fifth owner that painted the inside. Still lots of details to track down. Karen and I are determined to complete this second rescue and enjoy Hedwig for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argspike.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	40267  
Old 06-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Royce,

Way to go on the first trip! We'll have to buddy camp one weekend. I'll watch you fish...

Zep
Old 07-01-2007, 07:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Zep,

A buddy camp sounds like a great time. However watching me fish would be about 0.5 above watching paint dry. Unless of course I fall in, that may be entertaining.