Old 07-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Heat Wave Mitigation?

I am currently stuck in southern California near Lake Isabella hauling a 2016 25 foot Flying Cloud. Besides parking in the shade, does anyone have any suggestions to do (or not do) to survive these awful 105+ degree temperatures when parked? I am heading east to Colorado but have to go through Nevada and Utah and there may be no relief for a few days. Is it okay to leave the AC on full time when in campground (it is struggling to maintain 80 degrees)? Is there anything special to consider to help the struggling refrigerator. I am running it on propane as that seems to have a better cooling load.

Dlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Run out the awnings if you have them. Clean the filters on the AC. Run the fan all the time. Run the AC all day long. Site the trailer so it gets as much breeze as you can. Past that you get into the world of experimentation. Tarps are one way to get shade. They have wind issues so they are can be a hassle ...

The biggest solution of all: Punch anywhere in Alaska into the GPS and start driving

Bob

uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Foil bubble material inside all windows and roof vents. Runs a fan to circulate air. During hottest time try and shut off areas to make a smaller area to cool and stay in that area. For instance we have a rear bath and close those doors. Shade is your friend.
Hiwheel Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Head to the UP Michigan. That is where I am in route too. Currently 60s to mid 70s.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Heat Wave Mitigation?

Thanks for the replies so far. I am all over the shade issue (awnings, under tree, pulled curtains). I was really more concerned about if it is okay to run the AC full time. Tomorrow's campground I may not be so lucky with the shade. AWChief, I wish for sure I could just say "Scottie, beam me up to Escanaba and get me outta here".
Thanks, Doug
Dlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If you are where you can do it, spraying the outside of the trailer with a fine mist of water helps cool it down. I would run the refrigerator on propane and keep it on while driving. Putting the awning out on the sun side when stopped helps. I think it is okay to run the AC full time. We limit the area that it is cooling when it is really hot.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
As long as you are getting steady 115-120 volts AC coming into the AS, the cable and connectors are not overheating, you should be ok.

Understand. I'm at home and both big house AC units are running my electric bill up real fast. Heat is supposed to break soon, but we are not holding our breath.

Head for north of the 70 degree line would be the only way to get real relief.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the nice things about a campground is that you don't pay the electric bill by the KWH. You will eat into the life of your AC by running it. It can die of a number of causes other than being run to much. It certainly will not keel over any time soon from being used.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Ditto on the mist lines. Most garden shops stock them. Beside the multi-nozzle hose type, there are single nozzle directed misters on stands. Also, some stores stock the large fan mounted systems as used on sports benches. You can drop the ambient temperature significantly with misters and in California they work really well in the low humidity.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
"I'm sorry keptain, me transporters are offline.."
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
One of these roof AC units will run full-time about 2-2.5/years.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
I just returned to Oregon from the SE Aridzona heat wave (115-plus).
Here's 2 for ya:

For your fridge: run over to the store and get an ice block and a small kitchen trash bag. Pretend your fridge is an ice chest cooler.

For your own personal self (I learned this cooking for firefighters in Montana in 1994 in the 100+ heat with single-digit RH) ... get a sheet or a towel, rinse it in cold water, wring it out. Get naked, lie down, put the damp towel/sheet over you, and stay still for a bit. Even outside with no breeze, that damp "personal swamp cooler" will last you long enough to take a nap and cool off and avoid heat-related illness ...

Small quickie tip: Find a cold-water faucet. Hold your wrists and ankles under cold running water for a minute apiece. This will chill you right down.
Small quickie tip #2: Find cold-water faucet. Peel off shirt. Rinse and wring in cold water. Put it back on. This will last you a half hour or more even at 115F in Aridzona.

k.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We turn on the second AC..

Deploy of the awnings helps. The coating of the roof with special coating helps. For the fridge, Dry Ice works great... and it doesn't leak all over your crispy bacon you just cooked on the Airstream...

For decades I used a damp towel draped around my neck to keep cool.. but you need air movement... to cause evaporation.. or chill the wet towel and put on neck. The suggestions of adding the damp towels, cooling the wrists, in fact full hand to wrist immersion, etc are excellent.

Another tip is to get the gel packs and keep cold with dry ice or regular ice.. the dry ice MUST be handled with care... it can hurt you.. NEVER let it touch unprotected skin.

Here in Texas, working outside around our place, I just 'hose down' regularly..

Anyway... be kewl..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Part of my heat/cold mitigation for all my windows with reflects and insulation for roof fan vents and skylights. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Window Cover-S.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	289414  

Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote