Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
Heading to Winnipeg from Triad area NC

Anyone have any ideas for places and or campgrounds to stop along the way. Will be leaving Greensboro on I40 to Knoxville or Nashville, then heading north to pick up I94 and I29 into Winnipeg. A lot of empty space to fill in between. Ultimate destination is Dawson Creek to meet up with Alyeska Caravan to Alaska.
damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
Lots to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by damascus View Post
Anyone have any ideas for places and or campgrounds to stop along the way. Will be leaving Greensboro on I40 to Knoxville or Nashville, then heading north to pick up I94 and I29 into Winnipeg. A lot of empty space to fill in between. Ultimate destination is Dawson Creek to meet up with Alyeska Caravan to Alaska.
Don't forget Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, the Badlands, Glacier National Park, etc on your way up or on the way back. There were several from the southeast on the 2014 Alyeska Caravan who made side trips to these areas along the way to Dawson Creek.

In our two trips across country we have found that the ALLSTAYS app was extremely helpful finding good campgrounds, both public and private.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
…Also, see the thread " Seattle to Alaska, could use a few tips and advice" on this forum for lots of general advice on travel to Alaska.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I can't help you from North Carolina to Winnipeg but I can make some suggestions from Winnipeg to Dawson Creek. We haven't spent much time camping on the prairies however if you take the southern route through Regina to Calgary, Cypress Hills Provincial Park in Saskatchewan is well worth a stop. If you take this route and have time, stop at Banff National Park and then take the Icefields Parkway to Jasper National Park (another worthwhile stop). Note you will need reservations for both national parks from late June to past Labour Day.

If you take the route to Dawson Creek via Grande Cache and Grande Prairie (the alternate is via Prince George), there is a Costco at the western exit from Grande Prairie right off the highway. This is an excellent place to stock up - there is a Costco Liquor as well (you know where this conversation is heading). Booze is significantly more expensive in B.C. and more so in the Yukon.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
This will be interesting. I'm tagging in so I can find this thread again. We want to cover this same ground next fall but going the opposite direction.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Isn't this a little early to be heading NORTH? You must be talking about April or May, not January.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Port St Lucie , Florida
Are you in a hurry?

If not, I'd strongly consider taking I-77 North and then head NW on US 33 through Athens and Lancaster Ohio. A bit messy around Columbus, but then head north to Michigan. Head up the west side along Lake Michigan, then cross over to the Upper Peninsula. Northern Wisconsin, Boundary Waters area of Minnesota ... I haven't been to all these places, but I know the UP is great for exploring. Lake shores, water falls, tons of campgrounds.
CactusBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
DCast is right...you cannot mean now, in mid-winter, can you? I headed up to Alaska via the Cassiar Hwy, then picked up the Alaska Hwy north of Dawson City,then on to Whitehorse and over the "Top of the World Drive" to Anchorage this fall. I would not ever try too make it in mid-winter. Be careful. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusBert View Post
If not, I'd strongly consider taking I-77 North and then head NW on US 33 through Athens and Lancaster Ohio. A bit messy around Columbus, but then head north to Michigan. Head up the west side along Lake Michigan, then cross over to the Upper Peninsula. Northern Wisconsin, Boundary Waters area of Minnesota ... I haven't been to all these places, but I know the UP is great for exploring. Lake shores, water falls, tons of campgrounds.
I agree. Don't miss Tequamenan Falls; I recommend staying at the city park in both Grand Marais and Munising, and don't miss seeing the Pictured Rocks by boat in the late afternoon.

Have fun, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:50 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
Thanks for all the info. Already studying maps. An no, not going now but in July.
damascus is offline   Reply With Quote