Old 09-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Well if you are passing through Missoula. I have CP available. 30A at the curb. Ok 30A at the curb by the end of tomorrow. The conduit is run, the box is installed and I have the wire.
Almost anywhere in Montana is beautiful. Philipsburg, Georgetown lake. Yellowstone. Glacier.....

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
We were in Glacier about a month ago. Stayed at West Glacier KOA and as said above, it was convenient. Allow a full day to take the 50 mile road trip on the Going to the Sun Highway. Great scenery and wildlife.

2010 43' Newmar Dutch Aire
formerly 2006 34' Classic

Changing the World One Child at a Time

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Heading to Montana

Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Long rigs (25' or more IIRC) are not allowed on the Going to the Sun Road. Frankly, you should not try to stretch the regs there - there are several compound curves that could require you to either cross the center line or brush the cliff on the right. Don't take your trailer.
The park service is serious about this restriction . . . it was interesting with my '75 Cadillac Eldorado by itself at 19 feet when we traveled by car rather than Big Red Bus -- it was worth some of the amusement park frights just to have the experience of the fully open convertible.

Fortunately, the Big Red Bus drivers have all been well-trained in maneuvering the tight confines of Going to the Sun Highway -- the buses are actually close to one foot too long for the road according the advisory.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Sherwood , Oregon
Wow. Thanks for all of the replies. They were very helpful. We wil get there this afternoon and will keep you posted.
Terry and Tammie
tdveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Last year after the Bozeman international, we went to Glacier and stayed at the Apgar campground inside the west entrance to the park. The NPS has a free shuttle service from Apgar to Lake Saint Mary. It is a van from Apgar to the divide and a full size bus from the divide to Lake Saint Mary. If you go all the way, plan for a full day as well as weather changes, it rained at the divide on our trip.

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1970 23' Safari
Columbia Falls , Montana
We're in Columbia Falls, only 20 minutes away from the West Glacier entrance. GNP is in our backyard, and our favorite weekend hangout. While we've camped on the East side, we tend to frequent the West side campgrounds, Apgar and Fish Creek.

My best piece of advice is to check the nps website to check campground availability. Fill up days are slowing down now, but some campgrounds close after labor day.

And if you choose to stay on the East side, be sure to visit the Two Sisters cafe near Babb (best pies in the state).

Good luck and safe travels!
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
We were just at Glacier a few weeks ago. We had an amazing time! The best hike we did was to Hidden Lake up at Logan was quite possibly the best hike I have ever done. We stayed at San-Suz-Ed park - it was nice and convenient to the park. (And, served homemade belgian waffles in the morning!) The free shuttles are great and an easier way to do the Going to the Sun Road.

After Glacier, we went to Bozeman, a great little town with a lot of recreation activites in the area. The Gallatin National Forest offers amazing scenery - it was an incredible drive.

This was my first time to Montana and it exceeded my expectations. Quite a beautiful state and I can't wait to return!

Have a wonderful time!

Lani Pokrana
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote